Bike racks again...

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:55 am
by TheFatBadger (deleted)

I know there's a perfectly good solution to the bike rack conundrum, however...

We've picked up a BNIB Thule Superb Short for a decent price, I think they look good on the front of the Troll and we wanted the tilting function, etc. Anyway, I've got the two options, T bar mod which has been done on here before, although I'm not hugely technical in that regard. My other option (I assumed) was to contact a dealer and negotiate a price for labour and fitting the official mod, as seen in some 'for sale' posts.

No dice, LF don't fit them, and AL dismissed me immediately after I mentioned 'customer supplied parts', even though its BNIB. The AL response is particularly frustrating as they fit this exact rack for upwards of £500

We're a good 300 miles from AL, so fuel plus fitting isn't worth it imo.

The racks on Gumtree for now... maybe I was asking too much assuming a dealer could assist.

Tow ball and Xpress it is then!

Proud owners of our first Eriba, a 2022 Troll 530 60th, home to two hyperactive children and two exhausted parents...
Scroll up

RE: Bike racks again...

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:01 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Did you try Kool Classics?
Nothing is coming up on Gumtree for "Thule Superb Short"

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:21 pm

Hi Colin,

I'm currently on the phone to AL, it seems my follow up email may have done the trick, although I'm not sure the overall cost of fitting a new one with them would be much more than the quoted cost of labour and parts.

Frustrating but we may have a solution.

I'll be honest, I didn't try KK based on there being no mention of bike racks on their site.

I'm up north anyway for social reasons next week, so I may have a 530 for company!

Proud owners of our first Eriba, a 2022 Troll 530 60th, home to two hyperactive children and two exhausted parents...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:25 pm

Update:

After a polite and productive conversation with Rosie at AL I'm booked in.

In hindsight it's probably saved me what I'm about to spend on fuel, and I see their reasoning regarding fitting customer parts, hardly a good business model.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:39 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: TheFatBadger wrote in post #1
The racks on Gumtree for now... maybe I was asking too much assuming a dealer could assist.

Obviously I've no idea what the dealers have said (and in light of that it might have been better for me not to say anything), but latterly I've run into similar issues when asking a garage if they'll fit brand new car parts that I've bought rather than them ordering the parts themselves from their own suppliers.

A cynic might say that not letting them order the bit themselves denies them the opportunity to mark it up (and I can understand that), but fitting owner-sourced parts does create another potential problem if the part subsequently fails sooner than expected.

Being an honest cove with a fully-functioning moral compass you'd say you'd take that on the chin because you gave them the cardboard box with the new bit in it, but I suspect there are quite a lot of punters who wouldn't, and that's where it starts to get rancorous for everybody.

I've been taking cars to this particular workshop for yonks, and it's only become an issue relatively recently. Before then I'd happily order a suspension arm or whatever online (OEM or OEM spec, obviously) and potter down there with it in the boot, and they'd cheerfully fit it.

Thing is they can't (or won't) guarantee either the part or the fitting or the job as a whole unless they've sourced the part themselves.

I genuinely don't think that the goodwill I'd accumulated over the years had finally run out or anything, and while it's a bit frustrating when you ask and they say no, I can understand why they would.

Can't help feeling I sound like Victorian Dad, but it seems like you can add this kind of favour to mates rates and customer loyalty on the ever growing list of Good Stuff that people just don't do any more.

, scouteralf and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:30 pm

AL fitted my rack this week, excellent service, all done in less than 2 hours, just a shame it was a 600 mile round trip!

Although the night at Tebay Services was surprisingly comfortable, and the pie was excellent.

eribaMotters and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 53 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0