Taking animals abroad from the UK.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:22 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Don't forget, thanks to Brexit, lifetime passports are no longer legal. Apart from all the other costs, everytime you take your animal abroad from the UK you'll need a Health Cerificate from a Vet for each time you travel, dated within 10 days of departure. Cost north of £180.

Normally you'll need to book this service well in advance and pay at the time of booking as the Vets, who have taken an hour to fill out the multi-paged certificate in advance, are sometimes left high and dry when customers don't attend the appointment on the day. Isn't Brexit great?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:24 pm | Scroll up

RE: Taking animals abroad from the UK.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:50 pm
by Captain Calamity | 356 Posts

Hi Roger
It is possible to get this for £99 (first certificate) and £70 ( subsequent certificates) if you shop around online. It’s frustrating that we need it I know but that’s life.
I assume the price is similar for cats!
Kevin

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 pm
by Magpie | 673 Posts

So far I have looked at Passpets, near various ferry ports, who charge as the Captain says. Unfortunately, we live in North Suffolk and I haven't found one of these near home. In order to benefit from these prices we would have to leave 3 or4 days early, pitch up and and stay near one of the ports (at UK pitch prices) in order to make sure of the paperwork. We could take advantage of their less than two days booking, but then they charge £198 (they don't say if it's less for the second dog and we have two). We would still have to pitch up for a night or two before departure, and risk a pre-holiday hitch, so at present there doesn't seem to be much difference from staying at home to get it done and paying the rather large local fee. (I'd welcome advice). Then again we are finding that a number of local practices (including ours) are stopping doing the AHCs because they are short of vets. So at the moment we are combing the local area!

Randa france and Crystal like this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Jennie. In answer to your final question on Facebook,

The rabies vaccination in the UK is required every three years. They don't send you a reminder of the due date and you must not go over that date otherwise you have to pay the full price instead of a booster price.

Foreign Pet Passports are no longer legal so your dogs cannot now become Nationalised French dogs.

R and A

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:25 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:17 pm
by Magpie | 673 Posts

Hi Amanda and Randa, re my question on Facebook: 'What do you do about getting them rabies vaccinated next time they are due? (If you don't live in the EU?) And how often does that need doing?' - I was referring to the folk who seem somehow to be getting EU pet passports when in France or Spain. I was wondering how they managed when the animals needed a booster shot as they would have to return to the relevant country for that and at the right time. I was also wondering how often the boosters were required in the EU (as opposed to every three years here). (All a bit of a minefield!)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:38 pm
by Magpie | 673 Posts

Thanks Randa. It just seemed that some folk were managing to get an EU pet passport while in France or Spain and I just wondered how they managed the rabies boosters as I guess they'd have to get back to an EU vet at the right time every three years (or is it every year in France, Spain etc). I'm just trying to find a local vet who is still doing the certificate and also working out how we do one of the advertised on-line ones.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:50 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

The rabies vaccine here is either every year or every 3 years depending on the type of vaccine.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Magpie and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0