RE: Omnia oven

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I wonder if some electrical technical wizz could kindly work out how long you could run the 400 watt Remoska for on an inverter. Also what about my 500 watt water heater.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:13 pm
by AHoy | 7 Posts

Quote: Islay Corbel wrote in post #15
A lot of people are using the remoska with solar power.

Note: admin may prefer to move this to a technical area!

From my experience of using and providing "0ff-grid" power systems the use of high wattage appliances requires more solar and battery capacity than a typical touring caravan can realistically accomodate. Generators usually become the default power source despite recent advances in "green" energy.

The Remoska is probably one of the lowest powered 230v kitchen/domestic appliances and warrants consideration, so a few figures if anyone is interested.

My early generation Remoska is rated at 470 watts at 230v AC, assuming this is getting power from a 12v DC habitation battery and using an inverter of typically 80% efficiency then the DC power we require is approx. 590W, which gives us a current draw from the battery of 50 amps. A typical cooking time with a Remoska is 40 mins, so our cooking session is using 33Ah of our battery capacity.

A typical habitation battery has a capacity of 100Ah, however, the recommendation is not to discharge below 50% so a usable 50Ah of capacity. Therefore we can (in theory) cook our delicious Remoska meal or baking extravaganza, but only the once until we recharge the battery! Hopefully the cooking isn't being done at night with lights on, TV on, heater blower running and water pump cutting in = part cooked meal eaten in the cold and dark :) Don't expect to use the motormover either ;)

Note that a further battery derating is necessary if the current drawn is higher than that used to establish the 20 hour rate (a constant current for 20 hours, e.g. 5 amps) and if operating outside of the specified temperature range. The battery life will also be significantly reduced if the discharge cycles are at high currents. Latest generation batteries can address the issues of deep discharge/recharge and high cycle rates/cycle life to mitigate these restrictions as part of a full power design.

Now how does our solar power cope with recharging the battery? First off we have to arrange for some bright clear skies for several hours to take full advantage of our ideally situated pitch without any shadowing. Our solar system will then provide us with a charging source based on:
solar panel wattage x system efficiency x peak sun hours, lets say 100W x 75% x 6 hours as typical figures, gives us approx. 36Ah back into the battery (although the battery recharge efficiency is 90% so actually only 32Ah available).
So we can recover our energy for the Remoska session - maybe.

Popular enquiries for using mains appliances in a caravan: hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, microwave cooker, cooking appliances various, air-con.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:18 pm
by AHoy | 7 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #16
I wonder if some electrical technical wizz could kindly work out how long you could run the 400 watt Remoska for on an inverter. Also what about my 500 watt water heater.

Colin

Hopefully my Remoska response will suffice Colin, unless you have a space satellite like solar system unfolding from your Eriba :)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:53 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Alan, thanks for the detailed reply. You have confirmed my initial thoughts on it being a long shot to run the Remoska and continue normal operation.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:55 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

What he said 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Well, I went ahead at the weekend and ordered the Omnia oven, which arrived today - purely in the interest of informing the good Eriba Folk blog of its functionality, and nothing to do with my ever growing collection of “camping cookers” . So my initial impression is that its, well, very simple, and very light in weight. Simple in a good way though. It’s a neat thing and if it produces meals as good as the “Omnia cookbook” illustrates (yes I bought that too), we shall be very pleased. So I will start experimenting and keep the blog updated with some feedback and photo’s. Robbie.

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:57 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

"hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, microwave cooker, cooking appliances various, air-con"

Does anyone take all that in an Eriba? It sounds very luxurious. Could have done with the air con last summer.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:51 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I asked the question on the facebook remoska page. I hope you can access this as it is interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/87091217...neric&ref=notif

If not, join the remoska group LOL

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:36 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.619 Posts

We have been using the Double skillet on the gas hob for the last 11 years, it’s very versatile. You can use it as two pans/ frying pans and I have stacked them to make a chilli in the bottom and boiled rice in the top and of course it is also an oven.

http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:39 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3