Omnia oven

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:16 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

I’ve just been reading an article in a magazine where the owner of a camper van (sorry Roger I’m washing my mouth out) decided against an oven in favour of an Omnia pan. Reading the blurb on the JustKampers site it reads well, possibly a useful bit of kit particularly if you’re off grid.
Has anyone on here got one, seen one in use or even heard anything for or against?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

RE: Omnia oven

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I think I can see how it works, but I'm not sure. Do you think you cook in both of the containers. https://www.justkampers.com/camper-van-m...e-top-oven.html

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:31 pm

From what I can understand you cook in the middle bit although I’m not sure then what the purpose of the bottom bit is. That’s why I was hoping someone on here was an Omnia expert. There’s plenty of us Remoska aficionados about but we’re thinking of going off grid if the site charges for electric become prohibitive and then I’d be Remoska less 😲 thought the Omnia might do the job as an alternative.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:38 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

I keep looking at the Omnia ovens too (despite having a Cobb BBQ, Cadac Safari Chef, Remoska, and Lotus Grill). There is lots of info and videos on You Tube to give you a better idea of what they are all about. I would buy one, but think Mrs W would then make me live permanently in my 530 with all the camping cookers.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:47 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I have a friend who has one. I've asked her what she thinks and I'll get back with her ideas. It's cheaper than a Remoska but it is a funny shape. I think you have to use the 3 elements all the time and just cook in the doughnut.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:53 am

Thanks Islay, it will be good to hear from someone who has actually got one. If it needs all 3 burners that doesn’t sound like a very fuel efficient option.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:56 am

Robbie, I’ll have a look at YouTube. We only have the Remoska at the moment and I don’t really want to carry more kit if it won’t get used. We leave our bed made up in our 530 which means we lose two areas of storage so travel light.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:46 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Julie, search Ominia oven on Amazon. There over 1000 rave reviews from happy owners. Based on all that owner feed back it sounds like a great bit of light weight cooking kit. I actually like the idea of cooking in the doughnut. Do a nice stew or roast and then bring the hot meal to the table and serve. It also looks much smaller in overall bulk than all the other choices for cooking in. Love the red lid too.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:26 pm

Julie, not three burners but the base, the doughnut and the lid! My friend hasn't replied yet. She's about to go into labour so we may have to be patient LOL

Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:07 pm

Under the circumstances her delay in replying is acceptable. She may just have her mind on other things 😁

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:40 am

She's not yet in labour LOL She says :
She's very happy with it. There's quite a learning curve. Forget roasting chicken or cooking pizzas, but gratins, lasagnes, bread, cakes etc are all very successful.

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:45 pm
by AHoy | 7 Posts

Going back umpteen years I bought a traditional double skillet at one of the camping shows as an oven substitute, the Omnia appears to be a re-invention/development of it. The double skillet does have the advantage of "no hole in the middle" cooking and also gives optional use of the pans as frying pans or shallow saucepans. The original company that supplied them went out of business but they appear to be available again, worth considering as an alternative. My double skillet is still providing good service along with an early model Remoska both of which have survived extensive use on a yacht as well as campervan/caravan duty. An internet search for "double skillet cooking" should take you to more information.

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:48 pm

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:37 pm

Thanks Islay, the rocket stove isn’t so much of an option. It means cooking outside which is weather dependant, also you’d need to carry the fuel, wood or coal, with you. The other is a possibility although I think the Omnia would be more space efficient. More ideas to ponder though, there’s too many options when you start looking into it.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:02 am

A lot of people are using the remoska with solar power.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2