Volvo tow cars

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 13, 2023 7:24 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

When I am site I like to have a rough guess which is the most popular tow car brand, over the years it has fluctuated. Landrover Freelander 1&2 appeared to be the most popular for the run of the mill vans with Discovery’s pulling the heavy stuff. This year I have noticed Volvo appears to be top of the tow car popularity all their different size SUVs and a few estates are dotted all over the site I am at.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
scouteralf and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Volvo tow cars

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 13, 2023 8:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

There is a very simple answer to your observation. Whilst the missing vehicles do in most cases look rather nice, a search of the most unreliable vehicles, depending upon which search engine you use, shows about 6 or 7 out of 10 usually has a prefix of Land or Range, so they have probably broken down on the way to site.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 13, 2023 8:53 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

My nephew use to work as an insurance advisor, Volvos was always one of the most expensive family cars to insure , the reason why was that they usually write off anything they hit

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 14, 2023 8:37 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

It might also be down to the V60 winning Tow Car of the Year in 2019 and the XC40 winning it in 2020.

I recall back in around 2010/11 every other towcar on a site was a Kia Sorento and it had won TOCY several years running around 2008/9. The results do seem to have a slightly delayed effect on the choice of towcar in succeeding years.

Watch out for more Skoda Superbs, SEAT Leon Estates and Skoda Karoqs.

Oh dear, I've got one of the latter, but I bought it way before the 2023 TCOY announcement.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 14, 2023 10:51 am
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

And I'm one of the Volvo owners. Nearly 160,000 miles on my 2011 V70 and it has never missed a beat and still drives beautifully. The 5 cylinder diesel engine is renowned for its toughness and huge mileage potential (as was the "old" petrol 4 cylinder in the 200, 700 and 900 series cars - I owned 5 of the latter). My current V70 replaced an Alfa 159, which we loved, and it towed well, but its engine wasn't terribly reliable. It was beautiful, though and I still pine for it when I see one - but reliabilty must win out in the end...

It's also the comfort of the seats - I can't stand the modern trend to German-style hard seats - comfort for me any day!

And safety - I don't know if it's still true, but a few years ago it was released that no one had ever died from an accident in an XC90...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

likes this post!
Last edited Sun May 14, 2023 10:53 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 14, 2023 11:49 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Also a V70 owner and I can say it is the best car I have ever owned. 2008 with 120,000 on the clock and drives beautifully, though I have to admit I have just suffered a £2k bill for a new steering rack and ancilliaries. Though it should be said, basically that was a Ford part with a known manufacturing fault and and not a Volvo part!

and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 16, 2023 8:05 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I ran a 2011MY V70 for just over two years between 2015 and 2017.

We did 15,000 miles in it during that time.

In servicing and repairs it cost £2,300 and lost £5,250 in depreciation.

It wouldn't start on two occasions, once diagnosed as needing a new battery and the second time needing a new fuel pump.

The electric tailgate locking motor stripped its cogs, meaning the hatch couldn't be opened. The motor had to be replaced, a helluva job from inside the car.

Over my ownership it averaged 32mpg.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue May 16, 2023 11:31 am
by Tincanners (deleted)

Volvo : I Roll.

I can remember when Volvo was a truly Swedish brand, the 'Red Block' engine models. Like many
motor vehicle manufacturers over the years they have joined together, in a collaborative effect in
design, platforms and components.

Now entering an era of total change, motor vehicle manufacturers globally are becoming innovative.

Roy

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4