Traveling on overnight ferries

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

We are booked on an overnight Brittany Ferries to Roscoff at the end of May.

A question has arisen regarding the van's fridge that I don't know the answer to.

When parked on the car deck the car engine is off so I assume the 12v feed from the car to the van is dead?
But I also know there is a battery connection direct to the van from the car battery. On my Honda, there were two fused connections fitted to the +ve pole of the battery when I had the towbar installed by the Honda dealer.

Is one of these powering the fridge, if so, then I guess that might well flatten the car battery and we will need a push to get off the ferry? Not easy with a caravan.

I can check the voltages on the car socket pins easily enough but have my doubts as to where they all go in the van.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2015 Troll available?

The last alternative and probably the easiest is to pop into the van on arrival on board the ferry and switch off the fridge, and then remember to switch it on again when we dock.

Thanks in anticipation of greater knowledge of caravan electrics than mine.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Scroll up

RE: Traveling on overnight ferries

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 20, 2023 1:26 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

On all my three Eribas I have owned (1999,2000 and 2005), when you park up the fridge goes off with the engine. I always keep the freezer compartment full of freezer blocks, which I pop into the main compartment when we stop for long periods. Don't switch on the 12V ON switch (however it works on your van) or it will certainly flatten the caravan battery (although maybe that wouldn't be an issue?). Whether it will then draw from the car I don't know. Perhaps you could just unplug the 12V car connection lead when you get on the ferry?

Or just practice at home before you go - so you know what works (and what doesn't) in those various scenarios...

Simon

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 21, 2023 12:00 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

Thanks for the info Simon, I have never been totally clear about the fridge operation when hooked up.
It doesn't help that the interior light comes on whatever setting the fridge is set to.

I was planning to pull the caravan out this week so will investigate more thoroughly then.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon May 22, 2023 4:58 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

The outside (awning) light will only come on when you are on mains hookup, or when you manually switch on the 12V supply from the onboard battery. It won't come on when you are running off the car (to avoid dangerous lighting situations when on the move, I suppose).

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1