Suzuki Jimny Gen 4 - 1500cc

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

I was just wondering if any of the good Eriba Folk had any experience of towing with the new model Jimny. I am buying a new 310 from LF (scaling down from a Troll 530 60th) and wonder how it might cope. On paper the stats say I can tow upto 1300KG. The 310 unloaded is 700 kg and then allowing for say 150kg of bits and bobs I should be well under. I have recently had the tow bar/ball and electrics fitted and thought I would give towing a whirl and set off with a Puck in tow. All went very well and the Puck was a very nice match. BUT even on a slight incline things were noticeably different. I really had to go down through the gears and think about things. So my guess is that the 310 would be even harder work ?? I would be very grateful for any owner experiences, tips or advice. Many thanks, Robbie

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_1876.jpeg 

Scroll up

RE: Suzuki Jimny Gen 4 - 1500cc

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 27, 2023 9:39 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Try using the search button above. There are a few results for "Jimny"
Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 27, 2023 8:42 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

The rule of thumb for power and torque for a comfortable tow is 40bhp per tonne of actual train weight and 80lb/ft of torque per tonne. Anything under those figures will be slow going with lots of gear changing. Don't forget your 310 basic MIRO will not be what it actually weighs as you'll have added cost options.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat May 27, 2023 9:00 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I have had 5 Suzuki Jimnys including a GEN4, my 1300cc Jimny was ok with my 1994 Puck (500kg) but I have to be brutally honest the 1300cc and the 1500cc were pants with my 2015 Familia 320. There is not enough torque to make it a safe tugger, the short wheel base, slab sides and high ground clearance makes it a very twitchy uncomfortable towing platform with the heavier Familia. I always thought the 1300kg plated towing max was a bit optimistic, if it had more torque then maybe the Jimny would be ok as it is heavy for its size due to the ladder frame, however in my experience 650kgs would be more than enough to tow. Pulling out at junctions was difficult and required enormous gaps in the traffic to make it safe, overtaking on motorway was impossible and I had to sit behind slow traffic, I got beeped on numerous occasions for going too slow and the noise in the cabin was horrendous from the engine screaming constantly, I was exhausted when I got to my destination. You have already assessed that the driving has to be more considered, when approaching big hills high revs and low gears are required as you approach them as the engine is naturally aspirated with no turbo and momentum is soon lost if someone cuts you up. I had to exchange my Jimny for something with more torque, as you know the Jimny resale value is nuts so I didn’t lose out.
The Jimny is very much an enthusiasts car like a Land Rover with a fantastic fan/support base, it will have to be a compromise that you will have to accept with its limitations.

g47p3875-cc-Suzuki-Jimny-amp-Familia.html

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat May 27, 2023 9:45 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 28, 2023 12:01 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thank you to you all for your replies, experiences, and advice. Really appreciated. Lots to think about then. Love my Jimny, love Eribas so what to do ??? Thank goodness for Eriba Folk !

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4