Extensive damp

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 22, 2023 9:07 pm
by Claire | 10 Posts

Recently bought a 1983 eriba troll. Had it booked in for a service and the man has said it has damp pretty much everywhere under the waist band. He thinks it'll cost £6000 to repair but isn't interested in taking it on. Any ideas how much it will cost to repair as £6000 sounds extreme?

Scroll up

RE: Extensive damp

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 22, 2023 10:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Welcome to the forum Claire, and my commiserations on your introduction to Eriba ownership not going to plan.
The inside of the van would probably need a total strip out, the skin on the outside partial removal, the flooring out, steelwork cut out and new welded in, rust treatment and repainting, new insulated floor installed etc It is a big job.
I'm guessing that you could easily run up over £1K in materials, so that leaves £5K for labour. A garage or body shop could charge £100 an hour, so your looking at 50 hours of work. I can easily see this time scale as being realistic, in fact if they charged £50 an hour for 100 hours it would also be realistic.
I'd advise getting a second opinion and also getting back to the seller. The level of damp you have found did not happen quickly and I would be surprised if they were oblivious to it.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am
by Claire | 10 Posts

That's what I feared. Thanks for your quick reply. I have contacted the seller but unfortunately it was a private sell and they only owned it for a short period of time. She told us the previous owner was a farmer who serviced it themselves. Really silly of us not to insist on a service. Unlikely we can afford repair or another caravan as had to get a loan for this one.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 23, 2023 11:05 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

We don't know where you are but it might be worth getting a second opinion from an experienced authorised Eriba Touring dealership or mobile tech. Most recently appointed dealerships and most mobile techs will have little knowledge about Eribas.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 23, 2023 12:32 pm
by Islay | 271 Posts

I'm so sorry to read you've had this horrible surprise. Can you try drying it our and finding out where the water's getting in? When we got our van, the first evening it was raining inside. Yann managed to sort it out really quickly. There was no long-term damage.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 pm
by Claire | 10 Posts

From what the man says it is no longer damp but has dry rot which will all need replacing

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 23, 2023 12:52 pm
by Claire | 10 Posts

Yes we think we will get another opinion to be sure but the man is on site at the storage facility where our caravan is stored so think he probably knows what he is saying but who knows?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 24, 2023 1:04 pm
by Islay | 271 Posts

OOO that does sound awful. I'd deffo want another opinion.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 25, 2023 5:24 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

Get a second opinion, from someone who knows Eribas well - that steel frame is very different from most other caravans.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 25, 2023 6:11 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

If it does have dry rot Claire, it can only be in the floor as unlike other caravans, it has a steel framework.
Is there any sign of damp on the inner walls and does it smell damp?

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Thu May 25, 2023 6:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 25, 2023 6:31 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

Definitely get a second opinion, preferably from an Eriba expert. We have damp staining on an internal wall from where the awning rail failed. John E (an expert) resealed the awning rail several years ago. Just had a service, no damp at all. The staining doesn’t look good but I can live with it.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 25, 2023 7:08 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

We have similar - luckily mostly behind the cushions. Looks a bit unsightly, but definitely not structural. If the steel frame has rotted at the lower ends, that's a different matter...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 27, 2023 3:12 pm
by Claire | 10 Posts

We are away in the caravan now and I have looked underneath...seems to be flaky around the outside but no smell or sign of damp on the inside

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 27, 2023 3:19 pm
by Claire | 10 Posts

There is also nothing that we can find wrong with the floor. Can anyone recommend someone who really knows about eribas in the south that can check it (obviously at a price) and let us know if it does need extensive work or not?

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sat May 27, 2023 3:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 27, 2023 3:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

You say the south. Where are you located?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0