Reusable car windscreen dehumidfier bags

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:19 am
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I don't know if others suffer from misted up windscreens especially in this weather but for many years now I've cursed VW for putting loads of useless extras in our Touran EXCEPT for a front windscreen demister. Our old Galaxy had a brilliant one. Where we live doesn't help because we are next to a forest of trees.

After trying several egg dehumidifiers with little success, about 6 weeks ago we happened upon a Lidl dehumidifier bag for a fiver. It worked a treat so we bought a second one. Really impressed. Can't find a Lidl one advertised but it looks very similar to those I've linked to below which are 2 for a tenner.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155832064806?...4BoCbA8QAvD_BwE

The following contents have been linked to this post:

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Reusable car windscreen dehumidfier bags

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Roger, I've had a couple of the 1kg bags for some years now. I cannot remember what I bought them for, but tried them out a month or so back on the lovely Mrs eribaMotters VW UP. They do help a little, but take a long time to get the moisture out of. They say 4-5 hours in a 180c oven, which is not going to happen. I generally put them in the oven whenever we've been using it and once they have cooled down back into a plastic bag in the boiler room so they don't suck any moisture out of the air in the house.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:52 am
by Crystal | 245 Posts

The ones we have are regenerated using the microwave - a lot more energy efficient!

1999 Eriba Troll
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:52 am

Since we put them on the car's dashboard Colin, we've not had a trace of condensation in the car. In the past, it has taken a full 10 minutes on occasions, to clear the windscreen by using the car heater/blower and even then, it leaves droplets on the screen, smeared by constant wiping.
On our side of the valley, not only are we in the trees but we see no direct sunshine between October and the following April.

R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:02 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Condensation is invisible moisture held in suspension in warmer air condensing when it hits a colder surface. The structure of a car can get very cold in winter and the air inside the car is generally warmer either by occupation or just general warmth during the day. Unlike a caravan, cars tend to be fairly well sealed from the outside environment so they don't have constant air changes. A caravan's fixed ventilation ensures the air is constantly being moved in and out, in an unused car it's inert.
So put a bag of relevant stuff in a car and it'll soak up the moisture inside which isn't replaced by moisture from outside, therefore there's little moisture to form condensation. In a caravan the moisture would be soaked up but is immediately replaced by the ventilation allowing more moist air in to bring the inside into balance with outside.
It was Ford who had a 10 year exclusive on electrically heated windscreens that ended a good few years ago and they're now fitted/available for many marques. Having said that I've had electrically heated screens on two Ford products in the past and they failed to impress in removing both snow/ice and condensation.

Of course normal car heaters/demisters rely on the cooling water in the engine warming up before they can become effective and the time that takes can vary from model to model. Which leads me to ponder if there's a positive to BEV's in that their heating is presumably available immediately and whilst using precious battery capacity, should clear screens much more quickly than ICE vehicles.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:29 am

BEV, PHEV, HEV, ICE – what on earth do they mean? (had to look that one up )

https://electriccarhome.co.uk/electric-c...r%20100%20years.

Oh, and if you're wondering what SDA's Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG means, DSG is a Direct Shift Gearbox while SDA is a Steamdrivenandy

RANDA (or Roger and Amanda)

mr_underhill likes this post!
Last edited Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:36 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:11 am

And RF is radio frequency or Randa Francoiserie

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
mr_underhill and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:06 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Pistols at dawn Gentlemen ?

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Randa france and Inspecta_Gadget like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:49 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Too many TLAs chaps!😎

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.

Randa france and Steamdrivenandy like this post!
Last edited Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:49 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:08 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

I even had to look that up 🤣

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:11 pm

I did too I-G and JGr

Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4