A Double Tow Ball?

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 am
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts

Today, someone on one of the many Eriba Groups on Facebook, published this picture and asked the question of where to get one.

double tow ball.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I was wondering if the owner has bought two drop plates like the one in the picture and used both front plates, one high and one low, on the rack like rear plate.

Drop Plate.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)double tow ball 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Then it's a simple task of fitting a Thule Xpress bike rack to the top ball and the Eriba to the bottom ball. I guess as Insurance Companies in the UK frown upon tow car drop plates, this would be totally unacceptable but a neat idea all the same.

https://www.ultimatetowbars.co.uk/towing...s%20not%20legal.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:33 am | Scroll up

RE: A Double Tow Ball?

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:49 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Something in the deepest recesses of my brain tells me the cow horn style bracket that goes between flange ball and tow bracket was no longer legal in the UK. But I'm confused as when you look here:- https://pbr.co.uk/collections/bike-racks...-on-towbar-rack it is OK to do this.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:03 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

Another issue will be the vertical load specified for the tow bar. The Pendal Hang-on Bike Rack is rated at a maximum of 60Kg

Our Honda tow bar vertical load is rated at 100Kg and the maximum nose weight for our Troll is 90Kg so we would only have 10Kgs available for a bike rack, assuming we used all of the 90Kg nose weight with the van. Typically I load the van to around 75Kg nose weight so 25Kg would still be tight I suspect.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:21 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I guess it could be OK if you had one of the big trucks that have noseweight limits above 100kg but they usually tow gurt great twin axle vans, not Eriba Tourings.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:22 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2