RE: Problem with the stabiliser. Suggestions?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 pm
by hob (deleted)

There's a how to topic for fitting new pads at my last service the engineer said wind it in to the first click to engage it and wind it out until you feel the slightest resistance then in 1\2 turn when dis engaging.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:01 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I had no alternative but to drive it quite a few hundred miles without the stabiliser engaged and all was fine but the van did feel a bit twitchy on occasions, such as when braking when descending hills on wet roads.

I've replaced the pads today and put a smear of copper hmp grease on the shafts, the roller bearings and the spacers.I also removed the ratchet head and greased the threads and the ratchet mechanism. It had originally been lubricated with a thick white (lithium?) grease but the ratchet itself was quite dry..

I note that ALKO recommend that the pads should be cleaned with fine emery paper after each 'journey'. Do they mean journey or holiday I wonder? I suppose it all depends on the distance travelled between cleanings.

On occasions I have been unable to release the hitch from the ball due to the pads being too close to the ball so I suppose that's why I wound it out too far and caused the problem. I'll be more careful next time.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

What was the condition of the pads Brian and have you changed them before?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:05 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:11 pm

To be honest, I couldn't see a whole lot of difference between the old ones and the new ones. The old ones were certainly glazed black and should have been cleaned some time ago and one was a bit damaged where I'd been trying to hammer it out from the opposite side before you posted Rodders' repair guide.

Interestingly, the old pads are made of a beige coloured material (so it's easy to see the black glazing on their surfaces and know when they are clean) but the new ones have black friction material which could make things a bit confusing.

The pads were the ones supplied with the van when I bought it second-hand from AL in 2011 so I've no idea how old they were or what sort of mileage they'd done.

Forum Administrator
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Quote: hob wrote in post #16
There's a how to topic for fitting new pads at my last service the engineer said wind it in to the first click to engage it and wind it out until you feel the slightest resistance then in 1\2 turn when dis engaging.
Thanks for passing on that advice, Neville.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:19 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #17
On occasions I have been unable to release the hitch from the ball due to the pads being too close to the ball so I suppose that's why I wound it out too far and caused the problem. I'll be more careful next time.

To be honest, I think most of us with that stab have had that or a similar problem, I almost feel there should be a positive click or stop when it is on or off, like the green button indicator to show you are hitched. It is frustrating and then to have to really knock seven bells out of it (as recommended by Alko) almost seems beyond belief after all we are trusting that no damage occurs whilst we are doing it!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:58 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

On our first few trips the Alko 1300 used to roar like a lion and the hitch would get firmly stuck to the tow ball when we tried to disengage it, it needed me to jump up and down on the tow bar whilst Mrs poptop held the hitch handle in the open position. It could have been down to the Alko pads been new or the tow ball? Thankfully it's not a problem anymore, we only do a couple of clicks on the Alko and then push the handle down. I keep a small tow ball/Alko cleaning kit in my front locker, which consists of fine wet and dry paper, tow ball cleaner and a cotton rag and clean both ends before we set off.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Brian, how did you release it finally.? Got the same.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:35 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Agger is a very satisfied Eribafolk member 😎 it's the ONLY forum for those who LOVE the Eriba marque
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Yesterday, I went to check out the ALKO 1300 tow hitch on our Eriba. The paint has been flaking off it for a few years so I decided to smarten it up a bit (not a lot).

However, I discovered that the friction pad adjustment wheel was very difficult to spin and was continually clicking as if the ball was giving the pads a resistance. The pads were new and professionally fitted this time last year. I suppose they must have seized up over the winter although the tow hitch has been covered.

Anyway, I did as Mr Crow suggested Problem with the stabiliser. Suggestions? and it worked a treat.

Although I knew that this thread exisited and after a fruitless search for it, Mr Calder found it for me so I though I would "bump it" in case others have the same problem.

One thing I've noticed since the new pads were fitted. The locking lever is very easy to push down and appears to offer little extra resistance. Any ideas?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0