Problem with the stabiliser. Suggestions?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:56 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Readers of the Calderlogue will be aware that on Saturday I heard horrendous groanings from the drawbar while travelling through towns and that I diagnosed a lack of grease and a Frenchman kindly greased it all for me with his 'pompe a graisse'.

This morning when I hitched up to leave 'La Perle' I found that I couldn't turn the ratchet wheel on the stabiliser. It is absolutely solid - but I must have been able to unscrew it to release the caravan when I arrived. No amount of effort would make the thing move so, as I was still able to attach the caravan, I hitched up and drove 150K to our current site near Macon in Burgundy.

When I'd pitched I had a look at the stabiliser and found that while the pad on the lever side was loose (normal) and could be removed easily once the circlip was removed, the one one on the ratchet-wheel side is solid and the spindle is so tight in the channel that the circlip is embedded and cannot be removed.

I tried tapping the pad back to release the pressure but couldn't move it and without my full set of tools am reluctant to do anything further and risk buggering something up seriously.

Clearly a new set of pads is needed but having proved that the van can be towed long distances safely as it is, that will have to wait until our return to Blighty.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Tue May 19, 2015 7:58 pm | Scroll up

RE: Problem with the stabiliser. Suggestions?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:25 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Don't know if it's any help Brian but I've just found this on the interweb http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/how-to...iction-pads.pdf
The diagrams and instructions are for the removal of ALKO 3004 pads with a footnote ringing the changes if you have an ALKO 1300. I realise that you don't want to replace them while in deepest France but I imagine loosening them is the same process although it sounds to me like you've already tried that.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:31 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Right ho. I knew I'd seen something somewhere. Here's what crow did:- AlKo 1300 Un-seizing
Randa

Quote:-
I had my handwheel jam, it would not tighten in, the cause was the
hand wheel had been wound too far and jammed against the split ring.
I put the little security ball up inside to support the friction pads and put
a 13mm socket (any suitabley sized tube will do) over the pin in the centre
of the handwheel, give it a light tap with a hammer. It should spin as per
normal if not it may need another tap, easy does it.
The wheel should now spin normally and ratchet when tightened.
Make sure the stabiliser handle is fully raised and the hand wheel
fully unwound before connecting or disconnecting the stabiliser from the towball

Keith and Sue and Aaron Calder like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:43 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:14 pm
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

We've had this problem a couple of times, and have fixed it using the method described above by Randa.

We have also noticed that we need to hitch up in the correct manner to stop it happening again. Lever up, stabiliser handle up, Hitch, wind the handwheel until it ratchets, stabiliser handle down to engage the pads.

Both times when the problem has recurred have been when I've not been concentrating and have departed from the correct sequence. Have read this on other forums too!!

Keith

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:44 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Brian, that is the official Alko way to unlock the wheel, you like myself and others have just over released it and a "circlip" I think it is, has been forced in the plastic of the wheel. I remember posting it ages ago and you asked where I got it from and did a link to the problem section I think.

13mm socket but hitch up first, CONSIDERABLE force is required, unless your lucky

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:53 pm

As far as pad wear is concerned, when we had our van serviced a few weeks ago, the service engineer informed me that the two marks on the black plastic head of the stabiliser (circled in red on the photo below) are wear indicators and as long as the lever starts to tighten between these two marks then the pads are OK.
Not sure how much truth is in this however as our level, when at rest without the van hitched up, is barely past the second indicator. Has anyone else heard this too?

ALKO-1300.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:30 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

I think I will take a look at ours, as never heard of this before. Groaning yes, but that is usually just a clean of the ball required, which I do before each trip and in between sites.

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:54 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I have an AKS 1300 and the ratchet wheel has jammed. What should I do?
This is from my Alko paperwork

The ratchet has jammed because the wheel has been turned too far when unwinding. It is only necessary to turn the wheel until you first feel resistance or one click of the ratchet. What has happened is the small circlip in the centre of the wheel has become embedded in the black plastic surround.

To resolve this issue use a 13mm socket or similar, place it up into the centre of the wheel so that the socket is sitting on the black plastic and the centre pin will go into the socket. You then need to apply force with a hammer which will release the circlip, and the ratchet wheel. 

A fair amount of force may be required depending on how far it has been over unwound. It would be recommended to rest the coupling on the towball as you do this, to offer support. 

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:33 pm
by Agger (deleted)

AL KO

Stabiliser

The red and/or green indicator button has broken off the hitch handle. Can it be replaced?

This is usually caused by catching the button with the hitch lock when fitting the hitch lock. The red section can be replaced, and slides into the slot on top of the green button. The green part cannot be replaced however.

The stabiliser arms keep lifting up when I travel.

The most likely cause is the handbrake handle catching on the stabiliser handle when braking.

Gently tease the handle away from the contact point - 5mm should be sufficient. Whilst doing this, make sure you support the base of the handbrake with a block of wood to stop it coming off the ratchet wheel.

I have updated to the new AKS 3004. Will my hitch lock still fit?

The same hitch lock fits both the original and new AKS 3004 Stabilisers.

I have an AKS 1300 and the ratchet wheel has jammed. What should I do?

The ratchet has jammed because the wheel has been turned too far when unwinding. It is only necessary to turn the wheel until you first feel resistance or one click of the ratchet. What has happened is the small circlip in the centre of the wheel has become embedded in the black plastic surround.

To resolve this issue use a 13mm socket or similar, place it up into the centre of the wheel so that the socket is sitting on the black plastic and the centre pin will go into the socket. You then need to apply force with a hammer which will release the circlip, and the ratchet wheel.

A fair amount of force may be required depending on how far it has been over unwound. It would be recommended to rest the coupling on the towball as you do this, to offer support.

Last edited Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:02 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:48 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #7
I think I will take a look at ours, as never heard of this before. Groaning yes, but that is usually just a clean of the ball required, which I do before each trip and in between sites.

I do the same, I have some very fine emory paper and give the tow ball a light rub and occasionally clean with some tow ball cleaner.I did get a lot of groaning at first and it seems to be grime and grit that gets compounded on the tow ball with the friction of the pads. A quick clean before I attach the van has eradicated the groaning which sounded like a roaring lion......

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Many thanks, guys! (and special thanks to good old Rodders, wherever he is nowadays?)

It looks like a straightforward fix but best left until I get home and get hold of a set of new pads and have all my tools to hand.

As ever, the forum comes up trumps when a member needs help!

Forum Administrator
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Well, I managed to free off the stabiliser ratchet but it took a lot more brute force than I was expecting.

Here's the jammed adjuster. As you can see the wire circlip is buried deeply within the metal surround and is quite impossible to remove. (The bright red paint flakes are from the handle of a bottle jack that I tried to use as a drift and damaged in the process.)

P1010418.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I got home, I left the caravan attached to the car as Crow recommended to give me something to hammer against. I used a 16mm socket that was a perfect fit in the recess and used a 2lb lump hammer to, as we say in Yorkshire, "give it a right good 'braying'." All of a sudden the ratchet wheel could be turned but the damage on the face of the ratchet indicates just how much effort it took.

P1010419.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

New pads ordered and should be here tomorrow. Moral, don't unscrew ratchet too far when unhitching caravan from car!

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Brian, I'm guessing and I'm not trying to be clever here that it is safe to drive it as it was? I only ask as mine locked up like that once and I was worried, but a guybon site said it'll be fine, which it was.

I'm guessing because it's been wound on then the stabilisor function works as it should?

Genuine question with no other intent than to try and clarify for myself and no doubt others

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

just wondering if a smear oil should be applied to the stem of the hitch pads would help to stop this from happening. let us know if your stems are dry or not
does the ratchet need grease??
pleased you managed to knock rachet back into use..

if it locks up while attached to car, there is nothing really you can do, but drive for help..

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #14
if it locks up while attached to car, there is nothing really you can do, but drive for help..

You can get it on and off the tow vehicle quite easily even with the pads tight, I believe it's the "handle" that actually locks the ball to the head?

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1