Stripper's finger!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

Before you all get excited or confused I am referring to the sore finger ends that come from renewing the herzim strip. We replaced the centre strip on the waist rail with a blue trim and were so pleased we decided to carry on and do the rest of the van. I have three questions.
1, How do you remove the rear lights to replace the trim that runs vertically behind the light fitting? They appear to need removal from inside the van.
2. The small strip near the door (at the same height as the table rail) above the mudguard appears to have a different sort of strip. Can it be replaced with the same one as the rest of the van and what is the purpose of that bit of rail?
3. Having replaced the centre strip of the waist rail how do you replace the two strips above and below the centre rail? Unlike every other bit of strip on the van they don't run in a channel (which holds them in), it appears to not have anything holding it on.
Hopefully somebody will know something or hopefully everything.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Randa france and shrublands like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Stripper's finger!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:19 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I did all mine in red, the rear lights do fit from the inside, very easy though, I take it you did'nt warm the herzim in a bucket of water first!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Used a hair dryer but it still gets your fingers after a while.
Silly question but I am not technically minded, how exactly do you get to the light fittings from the inside, aren't the cupboards in the way?
Thanks,
Julie.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #1
. Having replaced the centre strip of the waist rail how do you replace the two strips above and below the centre rail? Unlike every other bit of strip on the van they don't run in a channel (which holds them in), it appears to not have anything holding it on.
Hopefully somebody will know something or hopefully everything.
I've not tried to change mine but as far as I'm aware, that strip covers the join between the upper and lower aluminium panels of the bodywork and is retained by the screws that you see when you remove the central Herzim strip. Again, only guessing, but my bet would be that the upper and lower parts are part of a common plastic strip into which the aluminium channel fits and acts as a weather seal.

I'd hesitate to remove all this just for cosmetic reasons as unless you reseal everything really well with mastic, you run the risk of water ingress through any duff joints.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:36 pm

Makes sense Brian. Wasn't planning on removing it purely for the look of the thing, to be honest I hate having to clean the white and just thought if it could be got rid of it would make my life easier. Lazy, I know. Will leave it alone and just keep cleaning, yuck.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:47 pm
by Agger (deleted)

On our Troll 540 I lifted the rear quadrant cushions and (from memory) the retaining screws for the rear lights are exposed. I did all 3 (round the van runs of herzim) the verticals, around the gas locker, side opening, door etc. I did not find a suitable replacement other than white for the THICK strip above the wheelarch, I did obtain a cut off from a local scrappy and tried to glue red herzim to it, but I was'nt happy with the look

I was only joshing about the bucket of water

I was really pleased wih how ours looked, I did put a thread on here, I was inspired by Brians prior thread where he replaced the centre strip, I got mine from Jandi and it was really cheap (50 metres, 5 new grab handles) under £35 delivered

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:59 pm
by Agger (deleted)

The door surround is IMHO a bit tricky!!!! Beware of the door coming off it's hinges, I was, and took it off first hth

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG-20150821-WA0002.jpg 

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:59 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Cleaning that top strip of plastic on the centre rail is a real fag as it becomes sticky and dirty very quickly.

As I've said before, methylated spirits on a rag quickly and easily removes the muck and returns the plastic to its original gleaming white finish with very little effort.

So far I've been unable to find anything that will act as a barrier to the formation of the sticky deposits and have resigned myself to cleaning with meths two or three times a year.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Quote: Agger wrote in post #6
On our Troll 540 I lifted the rear quadrant cushions and (from memory) the retaining screws for the rear lights are exposed.

Thanks Gray but sadly the rear lights on a PuckL are mounted on the wall that has the kitchen on the inside. Not sure that anything is visible from inside the undersink cupboard and the other one is behind the fridge.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:19 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Your welcome, there must be an easier way! I guess thats why we bought a Troll because I'm useless at diy I'm not allowed to post how useless I am at it otherwiise I'll be banned

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105695 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5