Clock change

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:47 am
by hob (deleted)

Today is the winter solstice otherwise known as the shortest day and was considered in ancient times as the end of the year before the Julian calendar was introduced by Julius Caesar in 45 BC then superseded by The Gregorian calendar used today.

Tomorrow will have 1 second more daylight than today

from then on days get longer.

Time flies like an arrow...................fruit flies like a banana

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm | Scroll up

RE: Tilt end

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #1
...the Julian calendar was introduced by Julius Caesar in 45 BC...

I know the Romans were really clever - you have to be to be able to invent aqueducts and vacuum cleaners - but I still can't get my head round how they knew JC was going to be born 45 years before he actually was.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:53 pm
by Crystal | 245 Posts

Like the pre-raphaelites........................................how did they know he was coming along? (Standard joke in the Art College .......Duh!!)

Yes, it's all getting better from now on ......................time to make plans!!

1999 Eriba Troll

Last edited Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:23 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #1
Tomorrow will have 1 second more daylight than today

But I like the dark because only when it's really dark can ones body produce the hormone called malatonin which fights diseases including breast and prostate cancer.
Besides which, I'm a servant of darkness and like to engage in widespread plans of world domination. I plan to destroy the world with a method of my choosing and then jump up and down on it's corpse. I want to tie damsels in distress to railroad tracks and then twirl about in my black cape. So why don't more of you join me by choosing evil at which time you can truly walk down the streets with pride and watch small children run screaming from your presence.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:42 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

NURSE!

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 pm
by ellen (deleted)

Phew, I'm glad I like the light nights, roll on spring and all it has to offer. Soon be back on our travels thank goodness.

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:36 pm
by hob (deleted)

Glorious weather today with loads of sunshine
Popped the top ......opened some windows ..........had a good sort out inside the van ( dumped loads of stuff in there when I sold the truck)

Thinking about a test trip with the new car when the clocks change ..............there will be nearly 13 hours of daylight every day by then

http://www.timeanddate.com

P1300688.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Anyone yet found out why we have to wait 'til the end of March for BST, when it ends only 2 months before the end of the year?

I want to start a campaign for two months either side of New Year, not two one side and three the other.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:18 pm
by hob (deleted)

I think its something to do with kids not going to school in the dark ..............but I may be wrong?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:25 pm
by crow (deleted)

I remember white people with ricketts, due to lack of vitamin D,
nowadays black people suffer from it (ricketts) and need a
vitamin D supplement roll on the long days of sunlight and
hopefully sunshine.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/as...n&afl=-11&day=1

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Here in South Wales we've had 2 joined up days of fine weather so took the opportunity of our longest bike ride of this year today.

WWT Llanelli Wetlands Centre along the Coastal Path (Bike Route 4) to the Pembrey Country Park. A total of about 12 miles each way (ouch, our aching back sides). It was a bit chilly but certainly Spring is in the air

bike ride.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

While in Pembrey we went to look at the Caravan Club Site at the entrance to the Country Park but it was closed and a Park Warden informed us that it had suffered severely with flooding. Looks like a nice camp site however and shouldn't flood under normal circumstances.

Tthe camp site is well placed for great walks, bike rides and car visits to the Gower and Pembrokeshire.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Well the last December schoolday in 2013 the sun set at 03.45GMT and when GMT commenced at the end of October the sun set at 05.38BST.

When the clocks go forward in a few weeks sunset will be at 06.24GMT or 07.24BST

If you wanted sunset to be at 05.38BST as when GMT commenced, you'd move back to BST on March 3rd

It does seem odd that the periods are unequal, but can't be explained by matching times of darkness.

I can't see that the reason can be daylight for kids going to school when any change would be in March and by the 1st March dusk isn't 'til around 6pm GMT.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
can't see that the reason can be daylight for kids going to school when any change would be in March and by the 1st March dusk isn't 'til around 6pm GMT.

Going to ..........not coming home from?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:04 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
William Willett saves the daylight, 1907–15
Bridle path through Petts Wood Bridle path through Petts Wood ©NMM. Repro ID: F6423-039

The idea of British Summer Time (BST), also known as Daylight Saving Time, was first proposed in Britain by a keen horse-rider, William Willett, who was incensed at the 'waste' of useful daylight first thing in the morning, during summer. Though the sun had been up for hours during his rides through the local woods in Chislehurst and Petts Wood, people were still asleep in bed.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/spring-forward-100-years-of-british-summer-time

http://en.wikipedia.org/

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:16 pm
by hob (deleted)

Don't forget it's clock change this weekend

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 87 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0