Additional Door Locks

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:52 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

OK, it's that time of year again when I start to worry about the security of our Eriba.

The door lock on our van has never, in my opinion, been great although, touch wood, it's never let us down. However, for a few years now I've been considering fitting an additional device for peace of mind but have shied away from it because I'm nervous about drilling holes in the side of the van.

I am now thinking that rather than go for one of those "U Shaped" handle/lock affairs, I'll perhaps go for one of these, don't know which one however.

The straight forward slide lock looks interesting but anyone with a mind to could lock you into your own van. Has anyone on here fitted anything like this to their van and are there any opinions?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:18 pm | Scroll up

RE: Additional Door Locks

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 pm
by Crow (deleted)

I think the Fiamma version was suggested as the paint came off the Milenco,
probably all made by the same company anyway
There is also a big old folks access handle/door lock from Fiamma.

Last edited Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:29 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Quote: A guest wrote in post #2
I think the Fiamma version was suggested as the paint came off the Milenco,
probably all made by the same company anyway

Hmmm. Interesting. The reason I was looking at Milenco was that I couldn't find any fitting instructions for the Fiamma whereas the Milenco website has a nice clutch of demo. videos. If you think they are the same product then presumably they're fitted in the same way?
Randa

Last edited Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:19 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 pm
by Crow (deleted)

Shrugs, shoulders, I dunno boss.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:25 pm
by hob (deleted)

looking at the vid on that link I would want that to lock in the open position otherwise anyone could lock you in in seconds.

Time flies like an arrow...................fruit flies like a banana
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Quote: hob wrote in post #5
looking at the vid on that link I would want that to lock in the open position otherwise anyone could lock you in in seconds.

Yes, that's what worries me I wonder if they're all the same.

Because of our shared concern I was thinking along the lines of this one but the locking tongue doesn't look quite as substantial as the cheaper sliding one

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Someone posted a picture once of the door area following an attempted break-in to their Eriba. The door and frame looked a right mess but the lock held and the thief/thieves gave up. Until seeing the posted image I too was considering fitting such an item as you're considering but dropped the idea after seeing just how strong this seemingly flimsy lock actually is.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM and a Yellow Submarine of course.

мы прибываем невидимые
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:18 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Sorry I don't really understand the so called extra security by fitting another door lock!

Give me 10 seconds and I'll be in one of your windows far easier AND I'M NOT A THIEF!

For me a waste of time I'm afraid, damage will occur which ever route you go down and I doubt it'll stop anyone

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Yes I take your point but my major concern is that if the existing lock gives up while we're away then we would have a new secondary lock already fitted. Our existing lock, although working OK, doesn't feel quite right and I would hate to be stranded on a French camp site somewhere with no means of locking the door of the caravan.
Randa

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:00 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #9
Yes I take your point but my major concern is that if the existing lock gives up while we're away then we would have a new secondary lock already fitted. Our existing lock, although working OK, doesn't feel quite right...
For what it's worth, I agree with what Deeps and Agger said.

There is little you can reasonably do to deter someone who is hell bent on breaking in, and there is a school of thought that the more you attempt to make it impregnable, the more you give the impression that there's something in there that's actually worth breaking in for. A van with all the curtains tightly drawn and festooned with padlocks just looks as if there's a hundredweight of bullion on the floor inside. While not going so far as to leave it with the doors and windows flapping in the breeze, I wouldn't have too many qualms about not making sure that anybody could see in if they cupped their hands to the window...

And given how easy it is to force one of those windows, I'm happy to settle for the standard-fit door lock.

If you're worried that your existing door lock is about to pack in, why don't you replace that? I don't suppose it'd be cheap, but I'm guessing you'd want to replace it anyway if it did break, even if you've gone through all the faff of fitting a secondary one as well.

You clearly don't want to start drilling holes all over everywhere, and I can't say I blame you.

You'll be defraying a substantial part of the cost of a replacement OEM lock by not fitting some Milenco or Fiamma thing, and then you wouldn't need to worry about some ne'er do well locking you in. I must admit I wouldn't lose any sleep over that myself - a hostage-type situation is just the tiniest bit far fetched, and what would be the point of locking you in the van along with any valuables you might have? The idea is to separate you from your collection of Fabergé eggs, not shut you in with them.

I'd price up a replacement if I were you.

Last edited Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 pm

I'd price up a replacement if I were you

Good point

Last edited Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:14 am
by Crow (deleted)

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/default...=entire%20store
Someone fitted one of these locks on EF and had to file a little lug off.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Quote: Crow wrote in post #12
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/default.aspx?shop=caravan&menu=home&searchtext=caravan%20door%20lock&searchcriteria=entire%20store
Someone fitted one of these locks on EF and had to file a little lug off.

You a major shareholder in this outfit Crow ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:28 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

You are right, + with the door all you have to do is lever the top forward and lift it off its hinges

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi Eribanaut and welcome to the forum.

I decided in the end to buy a standard replacement lock and carry it as a spare until our existing lock gives up on us.
Replacement Door Lock. Jandi

Randa

Last edited Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 5 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1