online food shopping

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

online shopping for groceries has made my life more independent, I am unable to do a walk round shop. OH isn't available to take me shopping, due to work, so do online..simples

yesterday afternoon approx. 330 to 4pm I went through the monthly favourites order, ensured got 7 to 9 am next day delivery, and entered the donation details pressed confirm all was well I thought, received the confirmation and looked forward to restocking the empty fridge and pantry

this morning the alarm went off 7am, then there was another noise a text odd 7.08am,
it was the cheaper by so much percent supermarket, your payment has been declined ring before 10am to rearrange delivery.. what cant be

turns out this particular supermarket does not take the card straight away when ordering online, like they used to do, and the details are stored and used when they feel the need. (The worrying thing is you enter all details to ensure it goes through during checkout)..
the banks are quite rightly aware of the increase in fraud and when a large amount well anything over £50 is put through at 7am they think its fraud. hence all stop, thank goodness for this system, even though it can work against and now has.
so a quick call to the fraud department, confirmation of ones mattress total, sorts the issue, then a ring to the supermarket all before 7.45am to say yes its ok, to be told no delivery possible..
no tea no milk
the supermarket actually picks the orders during sleeping hours, so some poor person now has to relocate the order back on shelf..
interestingly this percentage thing actually worked in our favour by £30. although I wont see that back now.

(having had this fraud thing happen once before with the same supermarket in the wee small hours, the website would not confirm the order as the bank stopped the card,
I had a nice conversation with a fraud person who thought I should really sort the insommia out lol but enjoyed the chance to chat at such a time.. this was quickly sorted and the website then let the order through, shopping delivered)

I am a bit angry with this supermarket, changing the instant payment to their time,
but if this happened to me this must be happening to other people.
the supermarket should revert back to instant card payment to save picking items, non delivery, and there reputation which no doubt will suffer...
wait till the feedback form arrives I have the dictionary at the ready.
on the plus it does show the banks are keeping eye out for fraudsters so that does give some comfort

the end of this tale of woe thanks for reading

I think I have some hot chocolate drink in eriba must go see...

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

RE: online food shopping

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 am
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
the banks are quite rightly aware of the increase in fraud and when a large amount well anything over £50 is put through at 7am they think its fraud. hence all stop, thank goodness for this system,

Not too sure I agree with that! the first thing that comes to mind is if I want to fill up my car early in the morning at a 24hr garage I expect my card to work and the car will hold up to about £90.00 worth of diesel some tobacco and a sandwich at the same time could easily see me spending £100.00 + before 7.00 am and I would be extremely put out if my bank turned down my card transaction specially if I did not have enough cash on me to make the payment ans was a long way from home.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:49 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

you may be safe at a fuel station because you are actually there in person with card and pin.

Last edited Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:53 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:30 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I worked for Access (remember them?, the Joint Credit Card Co.) from '76 to '89 and then for NatWest Streamline 'til '96.

Our biggest problem as an Acquirer (i.e. processor of cards on behalf of retailers) was Cardholder Not Present (CNP) transactions. Fraud on a normal in store transaction is the responsibility of the Issuer of the card, but CNP fraud hits the Acquirer. This is because they recruit the merchants and it's often retailers or their members of staff that carry out CNP fraud. Back in the day I've seen well established businesses suddenly bank masses of transactions and by the time the genuine cardholders receive their monthly statements and complain, the business has closed, the money transferred out of the country and the owner disappeared.

The card schemes put priority into reducing in-store fraud, which was a much bigger number, chip and pin helping this dramatically. Now they're trying to get to grips with CNP and there are all sorts of clever and not so clever systems being put in place. This is especially important as the losses on CNP have mushroomed with the spread of on-line shopping.

Mrs SDA fell foul of a similar daft system driven issue a few weeks ago. She purchased a Railcard online and somehow the Issuer thought this was suspicious. Quite how they thought that the issuer of Railcards was a potential fraudulent business I can't fathom, but systems don't think sensibly. Anyway she tried to buy two or three things online in the days after and the transactions were refused. Buying petrol and groceries at stores there wasn't a problem. I called the Card Issuer and supposedly got the stop lifted, but then had to call again a few days later because it hadn't been.

The Issuer in question in our case is a subsidiary of HSBC, I wonder if you've got a card from them too and it's the same system causing probs.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

no not that particular establishment,
sorry to hear you have suffered the hassle

it seems to be Friday the 13 here today,

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:38 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

I swear by Sainsburys on line service.....but as an extreme love mooching round Home Bargains.....

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba to also be hitched to...
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:46 pm
by crow (deleted)

We love the excitment of ordering online, will the supermarket/bank
refuse our card then grill us with a list of recent purchase questions,
or will we get away with it. Oh the adrenaline rush!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:40 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 80 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2