RE: Wheel Clamp

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 pm
by Stamford (deleted)

Quote: Agger wrote in post #11
Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #3
We 'inherited' one of these http://www.towsure.com/product/Nemesis_S...van_Wheel_Clamp with Esmerelda and kept it when we sold her.

We have one of these and to be honest I do see people struggling and often get asked how I attach it so quickly / easily, my secret is i detach the round wheel cover part, i put the claws around the tyre and into the wheel recess, then before tightening fully i relocate the wheel cover and tighten both allen screws fully, insert the barrel lock and secure.

Mine is left attached to the van all year round outside and is exposed to all weather's, so I always lightly grease both Allen screws and attachment points, other than than, it gets left alone.

Yep it is heavy, but I travel light (without a full jacuzzi) and I put it in a wheel cover, and bag before we move, it then travels bein the passenger seat Iin the rear footwear.

Nothing stops a determined thief, as most of us know it just makes them look elsewhere!

Agger, mate,...Are we talking about the same clamp?,..When the wheel cover part is re-attached, there is no access to the "claw" screw on mine.

Don't need a Weatherman to know which way the Wind blows!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:27 pm
by Agger (deleted)

This is mine fitted at Baltic wharf, took me about 90 seconds to put it on

Andy in my earlier reply #13 I do say that the bolts are hidden

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20140319_142600.jpg 

Last edited Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:25 am
by Stamford (deleted)

"i put the claws around the tyre and into the wheel recess, then before tightening fully i relocate the wheel cover and tighten both allen screws fully, "

Agger,..On mine,..which appears to be the same as yours, the "claw" Allen bolt has to be tightened fully before the Wheel cover part is re-attached, as it prevents access to the first allen bolt, so how do you tighten BOTH bolts?
My cap is well and truly doffed to yourself, and indeed any other chap that can fit one of these in 90 seconds,..

Last edited Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:00 am
by Agger (deleted)

Ok I separate both parts. I then attach the wheel part and tighten the Allen bolt (sometimes fully, sometimes it's not possible dend to the wheel spokes). Then I attach the wheel cover, but before doing so I loosen the Allen bolt that holds the cover in place as this is where people struggle, they try to fit it on without enough clearance) I then tighten the wheel cover Allen bolt.

90 seconds is easy if you do it regular enough, we get away a lot so I'm used to it.

I'm not sure if the site supports video, if it does I'll upload one later if not, I'll take a photo at the start and one at the end they'll be time stamped (if you look at exif in the photo properties you'll find it).

Hope that helps.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:02 am
by Agger (deleted)

Can I ask what part you struggle with?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

Just get one of these. It will save you a lot of hassle.

On and off in seconds. Couldn't be easier. Just unlock the handle (the black bit) which pops out and turn to expand the clamp so it can be removed. Do the opposite to fit it. No messing about with Allen keys required.

P1010880.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

(And, in anticipation of smartarse comments, yes, it is normally attached to the other wheel facing towards the front of the van. So there.)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:36 pm
by Agger (deleted)

To be honest I think a lump of decent chain and a chubb or Ingersoll padlock would be just as good as anything I've seen. You can see and hear stories of theft including low loaders where the nicked caravan is either lifted (yep by crane it's happened) or just winched on. The most important thing is to make your thief go elsewhere!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm
by crow (deleted)

The best "chain" is the wire, beaded, motorcycle chain.
The beads rotate if a grinder is used, hacksaw blades
jam in the tight spaces and boltcutters don't get a look in.

campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm
by Stamford (deleted)

Cheers Agger,..That is OK, but it's not what I originally gathered from your post that said,.that you re-attached the wheel cover and THEN tightened BOTH allen bolts,...one of which is inaccessible when the cover is re-attached.
Thanks,..Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:45 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Yep just re read it myself and I can see what I said was incorrect and misleading, sorry for that.

I have just been playing with my lock (yep I spelt that correctly) and when I attach the wheel cover I put my finger through the attachment slot to help line it up with the Allen bolt. I had to clean that up a bit as my original looked and read quite rude. Hope that sorts it for you

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 am
by Stamford (deleted)

Quote: Agger wrote in post #25
Yep just re read it myself and I can see what I said was incorrect and misleading, sorry for that.

I have just been playing with my lock (yep I spelt that correctly) and when I attach the wheel cover I put my finger through the attachment slot to help line it up with the Allen bolt. I had to clean that up a bit as my original looked and read quite rude. Hope that sorts it for you

Cheers for that Agger,....I was taking the mick a bit about the clamp as I, and a fair few others think it's a bit fiddly,it's a great bit of kit and I don't really begrudge the time for the peace of mind it offers.I now use a ball-ended socket driver on a speed-wrench for the allen bolts, it locates easier in the sockets and spins up quicker.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:59 am
by Agger (deleted)

It's definitely fiddly and I really don't trust the circular key locks. I was told they could be opened easily without the key, I was shown how to do it on a cycle lock, and with absolutely no experience I had the lock open within a minute (timing was part of a blind test).

That's why I say a piece of chain or as Crow suggests the motorbike type twisted steel, would be just as effective.

As for an electric winder (I'm not old enough to be seen with one of them!)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:29 pm
by Stamford (deleted)

The speedwrench isn't electric,..It's like a corner steady manual wrench but has a square on the end for a socket so you can still look butch whilst doing your nuts up,....."Matron!!!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Oooo errrr! And i thought it was an electric doodah

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm
by Jams22 (deleted)

Here I am again. We have not had alloys on our new Troll 530 - will the Nemesis Ultra Wheelclamp fit our wheels? I need to get wheelclamps ordered so I can set up the insurance :-)

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 53 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2