RE: Towing mirrors

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Hi MiniKay as an ex Mini (original, clubman and MINI2) owner I hope this helps. There are mirroors which attach between the window glass and door skin (metalwork) they are tensioned by a large rubber strap, I am in an area where the signal is poor so cannot search, aesthetically they are not pretty but might do the job. Best of luck with your search I hope it has a fruitful ending

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:02 pm
by MiniKay (deleted)

Is that for wind-up window cars? This is for an early one with sliding windows.

1981 Puck towed by 1968 Mini
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:19 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Yep i think so BUT as the fitment voes between the glass and the metal of the door (from memory) I would'nt want to wind the window down for fear of scratching the glass

I have tried to find them since I came in but to no avail, I believe they were called truck mirrors but again thats from memory so may be wrong hth

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:29 pm
by Agger (deleted)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000W4BF...=AC_SX110_SY165

I found these, I am not recommending them as I have not used them

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

To try and help MiniKay I wonder if anyone can help to unravel THIS, in particular the first paragraph entitled "The Law" ?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 pm
by MiniKay (deleted)

Cheers for that. I THINK it means that my car doesn't have to have them, which was my understanding previously. Bit like the MOT, with classic cars you only have to comply with regulations that fit with the car when it was built. It was certainly not a legal requirement for my car to have wing mirrors or door mirrors when it was built (1968). Be interesting to know if any other classic tow car owners have looked into it further.

Doesn't mean that if I found some that worked I wouldn't get some. Those suck-stick ones look OK but whether they'd work - and the sucker would probably mean I could see nothing else at all in the existing mirrors. I see they do flat and convex ones, not sure which I'd need? Maybe buy one and see if it works before getting two of them.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

it reminds me of something that was in the mot testers manuel
basically if you have a mirror on drivers side, passenger side mirror not needed if view available through interia mirror.
but if cannot see through the interia mirror an outside passenger mirror must be fitted on the mot there was certain dates to take into consideration, and this has probably all changed in mot terms.
The fact both mirrors are on fitted on outside sort of over rules all my post.
please note I didn't mention extension mirrors

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm
by MiniKay (deleted)

As an update - I bought some of the stick on 'suck it and see' mirrors that Agger linked to above - and they worked fine. Stuck on OK, stayed in place and didn't wobble - well I have done two journeys of around 70 miles on a motorway and they didn't wobble or fall off. Now I've said that I'll probably find they will when I use them again this weekend!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:27 pm
by Agger (deleted)

glad they worked for you and you were able to use them regularly

Scroll up

Exterior mirrors

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 pm
by F. Ramos (deleted)

Hello
Sometimes, we do not use exterior mirrors.
In Portugal and Spain is the law uses it.
Believe, will only facilitate our driving, we have more view of the road and safer for us and for others.

Best Regards

F. Ramos

Eriba Touring Pan Family 1989 / Lisbon - Portugal
Randa france, Keith and Sue and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Exterior mirrors

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:26 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Nice picture mate and it proves the point...

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Keith and Sue likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:03 pm
by MiniKay (deleted)

As an update to this as I've been away from the forum for a while.....

Last year I had nightmares with the mirrors. First one kept falling off and bashing against the car, which meant I had to stop to take it off/reconnect it. Then I had a very nasty situation on the motorway when I tried to adjust the mirror and it came off in my hand taking the glass from my door mirror with it. Result - I could not see a thing and had to turn round and drive home virtually blind. I couldn't repair it and had to buy a complete new door mirror - camping weekend was cancelled.

It almost made me think about selling the Puck, I was dreading taking it out.

Anyway, this year I decided to forget all of this and go back to how I used to tow it, just using the car mirrors. I feel perfectly safe that I can see enough to know when someone is about to overtake or undertake me, and am now at last feeling how I used to feel towing the Puck.

I did have an encounter with the law - two motorbike police cops at a petrol station. As they walked up to me I was thinking "EEEK MIRRORS..." But instead they said "We've got caravan envy..." and asked for a guided tour. Phew!

1981 Puck pulled by 1968 Mini
Randa france, and Ribski like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:24 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

The old towing mirrors used to be enormous, have a look at this old Vauxhall cavalier in the blog.I can remember my uncle had an extra mirror on the front of his mk11 cortina driver side wing

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=197...overlay&first=1

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:45 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

I've been through this with other Eriba users at various rallies and I don't use them on our Puck L, the van being the same width as the car and I can see along both sides and check vehicles for some distance pulling out behind to over/under take.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:36 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

We never used mirrors with our PuckL, the car was wider than the Eriba and the visibility was fine. With the Triton we have opted for mirrors, not sure if they make a huge difference but it will keep the boys in blue happy.

Triton 420GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 101 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0