2012 Eriba - Beware of rusting subframe

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm
by nod (deleted)

A recent service revealed significant rust on the front subframe of my 2012 Troll. Whilst the chassis is galvanised the subframe is not and you will see from the photos taken after cleaning off the muck that after just 6 years a portion of the frame had rusted significantly - enough to require welding repairs. The van was supplied by Automotive Leisure although I am not the originally purchaser and when I contacted them for advice and hoping they could repair it, they flatly refused to help. Apparantly it's not something they do and they are too busy with other work!!! Imagine if you took your car to a main dealer and they took the same attitude, they'd be out of business in no time. Customer service non existent. Fortunately I found a local metal fabricator prepared to help. After cleaning off the rust, welding a new plate and a few spot welds everthing was coated to ensure no further damage. Moral - don't assume your relatively new Eriba will be rust free and a regular inspection/service is a good investment.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG-20181109-WA0000.jpg 
 IMG-20181109-WA0001.jpg 
 IMG-20181109-WA0002.jpg 
 IMG-20181109-WA0008.jpg 
 IMG-20181109-WA0009.jpg 
 IMG-20181109-WA0010.jpg 

Randa france, , , and gamrer02 like this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:02 pm | Scroll up

RE: 2012 Eriba - Beware of rusting subframe

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 pm
by Mike Sugars (deleted)

I had the same issue with Automotive Leisure. I have a thread regarding this elsewhere but long story short I needed an insurance repair on my axle but they refused to even look at it saying it’s not what they do. I’m sorry but the heck DO they do then if they need to support this stuff under warranty?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Is it all concentrated around the front end Nod?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 pm
by nod (deleted)

Yes Randa, its on both front quarters but not across the front middle. The chap who did the repair, who is a caravaner and repairs commercial vehicles, reckons it's caused by the spray from the back wheels of the car coupled with the metal not being adequately treated. A thorough inspection revealed the rest of the frame which runs right around the vehicle is in tip top condition. The van is covered in winter and is on a hard standing. I wonder how many people have the same problem but just haven't looked. Also something really worth checking if buying a second hand Eriba.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 am
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

That's interesting. Our van is a lot older than yours and it's something I often worry about. We're having ours checked out in January when we get it serviced.

What has crossed my mind is whether the fairing on the front of newer vans exacerbates the problem by directing the water under the van. We don't have a fairing on ours so when we park it up for the winter, we use 4 lengths of awning draught excluder, slid into place at each corner to protect the framework and corner steadies from the weather.

No good when towing of course but I've been toying with the idea of using some lengths of "wing piping" to act as a defence against some of the spray. However, I can't find a product deep enough. Ideally, I'd like to find something about 75mm deep. We designed something of that order some 30 years ago for an entirely different use.

What do others think of the idea? I'm not sure whether it would help or hinder.

Plastic Wing Piping.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...g-solid-plastic

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:55 am
by Frantone (deleted)

A bit of a shock isn’t it.
Is it corrosion from outside to in or inside to out?
Also I seem to remember somebody finding areas of missing sealant at these areas underneath so that they were exposed.
There was also a suggestion that the plastic fairing could rub against the frame encouraging rust in that area.

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.

Last edited Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:23 am
by nod (deleted)

Cars haven't suffered from rust since the mid 80's. If the metal box tubing used was treated properly there wouldn't be a problem. We tend to think everything made in Germany will be high quality but that isn't the case here

Randa france and Tomored like this post!
Last edited Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:24 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

took action on the trolls tenth birthday and after cleaning the dust off metal chassis, applied hydrate 80 a rust eater converter safety glasses are needed with this stuff. https://www.bilthamber.com/hydrate-80 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Hyd...l/dp/B00672US20
, then applied black paint begins with H. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-51582...ords=rust+paint was more of preventative maintenance, will say easier to do on a mechanics roll board, eriba hitched to car (more for safety of 4 braked wheels), eriba parked on high ramps, for easier sliding under axle.
the fairings are screwed to the front metal part, these screw can rust in, hence why applied copper grease after all rust converter x painting
there was chat about rain getting between front fairing and metal chassis, when first got eriba so it was a preventative measure for me.

talking to a fellow owner from Scotland eriba do supply the special paint if don't want to go same route, would ask jandi,

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 49 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12520 topics and 105635 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2