A new sting in the tail by Skoda for towing homologation

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:23 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Just been looking at the latest Skoda brochure for the Kamiq.

Their pricelist is covered with this warning

Please note, if a tow bar or tow bar preparation is not fitted on the car, the VIN plate may not show any towing
weights and the car will never be eligible for towing. As such it may not be possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar
If the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory.

The 'may not be possible' reference is subsequently overridden by the optional equipment pricing which then states:

Tow bar preparation. Please note, it is not possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar if the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory.

There are ramifications from this. If you don't pay at least for the preparation then you will not be able to fit a towbar after you have bought it and neither will any subsequent buyer second-hand.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

RE: A new sting in the tail by Skoda for towing homologation

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:47 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I've heard this before about other Skoda models and I'm not sure how much truth there is in it. I will ask my Skoda dealer as they have towcars and electrics fitted by a well regarded Stoke business that fits towcars for most car brand dealerships throughout Staffordshire. It may just be Skoda trying to whip up additional optional extra sales, like printer companies saying don't use 3rd party ink.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:57 pm

Whatever the dealer may say. Once you bought it, if the VIN plate does not include the towing weights its too late.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:36 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Steve & Debbie

I also saw this yesterday in the brochure for the new electric SUV - the Enya or Enema or something like that.............................

Miket

GT runner, Simboc2004 and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:23 am

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #3
Whatever the dealer may say. Once you bought it, if the VIN plate does not include the towing weights its too late.

I agree, but it's whether they do actually supply such cars without a GTW figure on the VIN plate or whether it's an empty threat.

I would think that the car sales industry, new and used, wouldn't be at all happy with such a plan as they'd have to ensure that cars without a GTW were clearly advertised as such and customers made aware, or face the possibility of cars being rejected and returned once the lack of towing ability was discovered.

Also, given that the Skoda brand is part of VAG, it's unlikely to have acted independently on such a matter and similar policies are either in place, or on the way, for VW, Audi, Seat and not forgetting Lamborghini and Bentley.

Last edited Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:29 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:57 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Andy, this has already kicked off. Folk have bought the Octavia and cannot legally have a tow bar fitted as the weights plate has no figures.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

The following crossed my mind inasmuch is this the start of a trend for all new vehicles that are going the EV route since towing won't be a realistic option?

By not making them legally able to tow it would avoid manufacturer criticisms and legalities regarding battery performance and range perhaps?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I think a similar system may apply to the Polestar 2. The car has to be certified for towing to have the accessory tow bar fitted after purchase. Obviously something to be sure on before purchase. Not that I am about to buy a Polestar (I wish!).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:17 pm
by Adzmono (deleted)

Looked into to this as I just purchased a skoda superb 2.0l TDI. Talked to several dealers and they looked into it for Mr and explained that upto 1.5l skoda can be fitted retrospectively with a tow bar. This issue is with the 2.0l models where it needs factory prep which had to to with extra cooling for the engine/gear box which is why it's not a simple retrofit. This is an option on new models £190 which allows you to fit an aftermarket towbar.

Steve and Debbie and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:11 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

This is important information for those of us who tow with Skodas and are thinking of replacing our towing vehicle

I am toying with replacing our Karoq Scout with a new Octavia Scout. I was initially told that they were not coming to the UK, but yesterday found out that they will be coming. My Skoda dealer rang me today to try and interest me in a 2019 Octavia Scout as he misread my message about the new model. He was totally unaware that the new model Scout will be coming and promised to keep me informed when he hears anything arriving in the UK.

The bit about the towing is vital as it will be useless to me if it won't take a tow bar. Although you would suspect that they might come already fitted with Skoda's own excellent electric drop-down fitting which came on our Karoq Scout. Looks like factory fitted will be the way as I intend trying to source another 2 litre diesel before I take the plunge to EV

MikeT

Last edited Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:12 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:40 pm

Pre lockdown there were new models in the showroom to check before you buy.

Steve

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:56 am

Such an issue should be checked out by a selling dealer before a new order is placed as part of their duty of care. However there are two problems with that. One is that someone may have no intention of towing when initially purchasing a new car, but things, like covid, may change their plans and towing might be required. The second is that on the used market you end up with two different strains of vehicle and buyers may be unaware that they cannot tow with a car they intend buying, whereas another identical car they can tow with.

It does beg the obvious question, which is if it's only for want of a fan upgrade, why isn't it fitted as standard on all the cars and the issue disappears.

I'm happy when there's a model that can't tow full stop, but not happy where some of that model can and some can't and the only way of telling is looking at figures on a VIN plate.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #12
I'm happy when there's a model that can't tow full stop, but not happy where some of that model can and some can't and the only way of telling is looking at figures on a VIN plate.
Caveat Emptor.

In the overall scheme of things, checking that something you're about to spend tens of thousands of pounds on does what you want it to do isn't really all that onerous.

We all have enough spare time to fritter away on here, so investing a little bit of it more prudently on a couple of telephone calls to be sure your arse is properly covered isn't really a big deal.

Last edited Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 am

Except it seems that Skoda dealership sales staff aren't all aware of the differentiation and a punter may not realise, given that it is a new situation in the UK. And it doesn't help the person who purchased with no intention of towing and then decides to buy a van. And as I said, if the towing prep cost option is £190, then it probably costs Skoda under £100 to fit, so why not make it part of the standard spec.?

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:06 am
by Iana1212 (deleted)

I was looking at buying a Skoda and flagged up that I needed a tow bar. One dealer investigated and confirmed that it couldn’t be retrofitted and in fact had had to replace a car that they had sold where the customer had specified that they needed a tow bar. Our local dealer said it was no problem and they continued to fit tow bars and didn’t seem interested in the brochure wording. I suspect that in practice there would be no technical problems and the heating/cooling issue would only be an issue in hot countries where you were towing something at the heaviest range that could be towed. In the end due to these issues and that the Skoda dealer didn’t seem interested in selling me anything I bought a Toyota even though I have had 2 Skodas.

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5