Hyundai IONIC 5

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 pm
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts

Thought I should now give this model its own space.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
cruickie and gamrer02 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Hyundai IONIC 5

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:27 am

Hyundai IONIC 5

One of our Facebook members has just gone all electric with this car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/cars/hyunda...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim Leach says:- Finally we make the leap, now 100% electric! First test tow was a 40 mile round trip. It tows totally effortlessly, super stable, and best of all entirely silent.. Love it.
Full ev. It's a awd model so not the most economical but it's looking like we can get about 280 miles if driven very steady. 160 mile if towing the troll. It has a new 800v platform which can charge at upto 220 kw / hour so it can charge from 10% to 80% in around 18 mins.

Jim Leach.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

cruickie, gamrer02 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:49 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

That's good to hear and a lot more info than I got out of Hyundai. I phoned and e-mailed to enquire if a vehicle is to be made available to the press for towing and heard nothing. I the Ionic is the closest thing yet to a possible tow car that works. Double the range and it would meet most towers needs.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:51 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:21 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Just following this thread, Hyundai are producing a hydrogen-fuelled car (FCV fuel cell vehicle)

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:51 am | Scroll up

RE: Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Hyundai IONIC 5

Jim Leach, yesterday.
·
So today was the day, our first trip. 130 miles to Coniston, the car pulled the Eriba effortlessly. All the automated driving assistance worked just as well as it does without the caravan, and also just as silent. Such a relaxing drive.
So this was a relatively safe test as I was confident we would make it without needing to charge, 80% motorway at 60mph the rest on small often hilly country roads. The car performed better than expected and we arrived with 25% battery left which means we should get an absolute max range of around 170 mile. Comfortable route plan range of 150 -160 miles.
We are now trickle charging from the caravan, should be full again in 30 hrs but there is a 7kw public charger just over the road. If we need a quick over empty to full while we are here.
Just wish the weather was as good as the car

Jim Leech.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:50 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:56 am

Jim Leach. I do like this guy for his honesty when assessing his purchase.

Today, he reported this on Facebook:-

As mentioned above we have only done 1 trip so far. However the return leg didn't go to plan as we had to vacate the campsite at Coniston early evening due to flooding. We should have left in the morning with full charge.

In all honestly it was a nightmare journey. Driving in storm conditions through lots of flood water. When we made it out of Cumbria I had to start thinking about where to top up, all unplanned.

We pulled off the motorway near Bolton to use a fast charger at a Asda. The carpark was dead as it was about 11pm so I just pulled up side on to the charger. Easy... apart from the charger didn't work BP pulse are notoriously unreliable. So headed a few miles down the road to an insta volt, un hitched, easy quick charge and back on the Road. We got home at 1am exhausted. In the trauma of the evening un hitching was a minor inconvenience.

Invariably I will always plan to have to un hitch. However I am relatively young and fit, and we nearly always do trips that would be within the range of a full charge. So for us this is a minor factor. For other though I think careful consideration would be needed before making the leap.

At some point the charging Co's need to start allowing for people to charge whilst towing. EV pickups are starting to come to market now it's going to become a problem if they don't.

FINNWOODY, cruickie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 am

I've finally had a reply from Hyundai after one phone call and four e-mails. They have no plans to make a vehicle available to the press or the C&MC so this review is as good as we will get. As you say Randa the owner is honest in his assessment.
I've been following a thread on the C&MC about an owner with a Polestar. He did not buy this as a tow car as his is a company car. He has a Hybrid Volvo? and thought he'd give the Polestar a go. He is very impressed as no longer tows with the Volvo. The only issue is the planning involved to ensure a trouble free run and the dreaded range anxiety.
When you can tow 200/300 miles and have no fear of how to charge at your destination I thik we will see a lot of happy caravanners with electric cars.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france, scouteralf, cruickie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:53 am

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:54 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:43 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

That's a lot of money for such a small autonomy and a nightmare to boot. Why do it? Until electric cars become a LOT les polluting, I won't even consider it. We may not see the pollution these cars create here, but it's conveniently in other countries. There aren't enough charging points, arriving at a campsite unable to go out on a trip, move in case of an emergency..... doesn't add up to anything remotely appealing to me.
https://www.science.org/content/article/...-dead-batteries

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:53 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:58 am

Islay, you make a very good point. It's not just the future of old batteries but also the production of the new electric car balanced against keeping your current car.

My diesel car (which is one of the 'cleanest' ones) has done 35000 miles. I'm doing 2 or 3000 miles a year and at my age and at this rate it could last me my lifetime. If I sell it I would buy a new electric one. My diesel would then most likely do a lot more miles, eg it may go to a taxi driver, and do a lot more pollution in the it's lifetime than if I kept it.

Keeping it may be the best solution in my case.

Steve

Randa france likes this post!

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:09 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Inclined to agree, our car is at the same mileage. What concerns me is the potential cost of parts as the car gets older and the price and availability of diesel in the future. Will we be forced out of our diesels and into the electric market? Until they can convince us of the ease of towing/charging and the prices become more reasonable we will be sticking with the car we’ve got.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+

addisb likes this post!

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:37 pm

We have two cars, towing with a 1.5 petrol Audi A3 and a 1.0 petrol VW UP runabout.
The 2014 VW will hopefully keep us going for many years, but when it comes to a replacement it will undoubtedly be a small electric runabout. This would cope with the short journeys the car would do and as there would be less to go wrong I think it reasonable to expect this would be a vehicle we do not replace.
The tow vehicle will be the problem. I can see buying one of the last petrol cars that will be produced, unless the giant steps forward in battery range and charging infrastructure appear.
I'm guessing there are a lot of you in a similar situation to us.

Colin

Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:55 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:20 pm

I wouldn't leave it to the last minute to buy the last combustion engine. Volvo have already pulled their diesel cars so who knows what will be available. Also the electric zero road tax will be stopped at some point and combustion road tax may soar. Electric maintenance will be a lot cheaper, and as garages adapt, combustion service costs may also be more expensive.

scouteralf and cruickie like this post!

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:43 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

So many ifs and buts. At the moment, it would take an enormous leap of faith for us to go electric. Who know what the future will bring.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

Randa france and addisb like this post!

in We've got it down to a T Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:41 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

So what about a "half way house" plug-in Hybrid ?

If the majority of your journeys are short and you are able to install an EV charge point at your home - then that seems to me to be a possible answer.

The main downside that I see in this is similar to a "normal" petrol engine car - what will the future re-sale value be, but with the potential for significant savings on fuel costs. Also there is no "range phobia".

For example one of the VAG group 1.5 petrol PHEV A3, Golf, Leon etc versions - easily tow your Eriba - ask Colin

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T

cruickie likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:56 am | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3