ideal awning for short stays

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:59 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

I use a shadow canopy & Jormax windbreak but have always fancied something slightly more enclosed for wet weather particularly with the size of my 320 but i don't have much time away from work so something simple & easy to put up/store/dry. Is the Suncamp Swift Vareo lightweight one that people would recommend?. later in the year i will have a week in Scotland and if its wet and midges i just thought it would give me another layer of protection.
And last question, what seize for a 2015 320GT would anyone recommend

Scroll up

RE: ideal awning for short stays

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:08 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I would look at the Vango Siesta, also marketed as the Vango Elwood. Vango Siesta Review [Elwood is the same but in blue]

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
addisb, Biljul and Doonhamer like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:45 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

Hi Colin
in the past I've been put off inflatable up awnings when they haven't been on mirror flat ground. we tend to stay on CL sites and quite often they might not be level & often just grabbing a long weekend & want something quick & simple

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:19 pm

I fully understand the issue with a not 100% level surface and a blow up awning. With the Kampa Pop Air I recently sold this was about the only thing about it I did not like. Because it was a custom fit awning then anything slightly out of true showed up. With the Vango it is a generic awning with the height at the awning rail allowing a scope from 1.8 to 2.1 m and as such if the ground is not perfect you have some leeway.
It is quick to put up, quicker than any awning I have used in my 20 years of Eriba ownership. I like it so much that if/when we get our next van [Eriba Feeling] I will get one professionally altered to make it as near to perfect as I think it is possible to get.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Biljul and monoboard like this post!
Last edited Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:45 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:45 am
by monoboard | 351 Posts

Hi Colin

Just to make sure I'm understanding, your saying you would have one Tailored/tweaked to fit?
The other thing is i have a 2015 320GT and i noticed from reading your link you had yours on a Triton, not quiet sure on size difference eg awning rail length & height

best regards

Last edited Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:49 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:05 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

hi Monob

I've mentioned it a few times before on the Forum but we use a lightweight Suncamp Vareo 260 Low Awning to supplement our Shadow or Kampa PopAir. We have a Troll so it is longer than yours, so I don't know about it fitting yours. We have had it about 3 years and use it for short stays when rain is expected or we use it at the end of the season when the weather is cold.

Once we remember what to do (!) it goes up quickly, having two steel poles and a roof pole. It is smallish but we get get a table and four people eating in it in the dry, out of the wind. If the weather does turn nice it has a nifty canopy front door that you can lift.

We'll use it again this season and then may think of replacing it, depending on how it is holding up. Because it is small and light we sometimes take it & the Shadow and decide what to erect when we arrive on site.

I will try to find a photo

Good luck in your search

Mike T

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:09 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Eriba Vareo front view.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba Vareo side view.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The top photo shows the canopy front door up in some sunshine

Simboc2004 and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:11 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 03, 2023 5:27 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

Has anyone used a Suncamp Vareo 260 Low Awning on a 320 GT 2015. It seems as if they don’t make a shorter one & I think it’s looking a little long for the 320 awning rail. Apart from that I think it would have probably done my job

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 03, 2023 5:56 pm

If you look at the spec I think you will find the 260 refers to the footprint size. The awning chord will be about 240cm, so should be a nice fit.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 03, 2023 6:49 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

Not sure from what I see about the awning rail width
Copied of advert?

(The Sunncamp Swift Verao sits at a width of 260cm and features a depth of 240cm)

I have a feeling my shadow sunscreen thing is 240cm & just concerned the swift being 260cm on a 320GT would be hanging off at the ends where it curved round?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 03, 2023 7:42 pm

If you look here it says the 260 is at the floor. https://www.leisureoutlet.com/143482-sun...-260-low-awning

Colin

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 04, 2023 10:01 am
by monoboard | 351 Posts

i have just ordered one of the swift 260 so fingers crossed & thanks everyone for the input

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 04, 2023 1:16 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

on a totally different note, you would wonder rightly & wrongly if having a big heavy air awning anchored onto the awning rail does it make it more liable to create awning rail problems/water leaks ? particularly when you get windy days & its pulling on the rail & lashing straps tight ?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 04, 2023 1:55 pm

I don't think it is anything to worry about. The overall weight of an air awning is about the same as a poled awning, it's just that you have to get the whole thing up in one go.

Colin

Simboc2004 and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0