How could Eriba make a better caravan?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I though what Simon said in another post would make a nice new topic:-

"I do wish that Eriba would seriously think about the standard layout of their vans. We find the hanging wardrobe only partially useful - and generally two thirds empty. And we have used the gas heater only once in three Tritons. I would rather have a larger fridge and freezer with a built in microwave above. And then a storage cupboard above. There might also be room for a small full length hanging cupboard too. Taking out the heater would free up a lot of room and weight, once you remove the chimney, piping, etc. I am tempted to do a conversion, but it would probably make it unsaleable.

I would also be a fan of a roof "window" above the kitchen area, for more light and ventilation. The kitchen gets very stuffy, very quickly if you use the gas hob. I know that Leisure First trialled this in a special edition, but it didn't come to anything. Perhaps because of the height intrusion into the pop top? The extra height pop top would sort that."

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: How could Eriba make a better caravan?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:06 pm

My biggest gripe was always the gas heater. It is totally over the top for the size of van. And hot water heaters, we love them others do not, but what about the Combi unit fitted to some Feelings and the now deceased Troll 535. It is a combined water and space heater and can be gas/electric powered. One unit, less space taken up, copes with those who use hook ups and those who go off grid.

Our 3rd Eriba was a Familia 310. The original owners had Lechdale remove the gas heater. They and subsequently we stored the Porta Potti in the void. I also managed to add a small drawer above the loo.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:47 pm
by Islay | 216 Posts

Previous owners were afraid of gas so removed the heater. We have never missed it. A crate goes in the home filled with shoes and bottles. The wardrobe is useless as a hanging cupboard. We have those canvas hanging cubbyholes in ours and I store the remoska and hob on the bottom. A small oil-filled radiator does the job when it's cold. I don't want a microwave but a bigger fridge would be great.
I don't understand the bit about the window. Our kitchen has a window and the pop top has a zip opening so plenty of ventilation. I cook outside, though.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Simboc2004 and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:41 pm
by zippy | 70 Posts

for us it would be no sink in the loo but add some kind of usable shower

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:27 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

When i said "window in the roof" I meant a skylight - the word escaped me at the time of writing! I would rather have light and fresh air from above my head - and ventilation that I could stop the light getting through. i have always struggled to sleep when it's light...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:29 pm

Our first Triton had hot water and a shower tap. We used the hot water, but never the shower - just not enough room in the cubicle... Agree about the sink though. I like having one, but not in the Eriba arrangement - the cupboard underneath takes up too much knee room. Older Tritons were worse than our current 2005 one, though. And, I think, they have improved on that with the post 2010 models? haven't had the chance to try one for size...

Last edited Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:43 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

The Trolls were originally the same width as Tritons, but there were a couple of layouts that were 4ins wider late in the 2000's and the German production from 2010 were,all that extra 4ins wide. Amidships most of that extra width went into the washroom, making it a touch more usable but the toilet and furniture arrangement was poor until 2013, when the bench loo came back and the current furniture design came in.
I've always wondered why Hymer have never made a Troll with a 540 front dinette and a 530 rear. That would provide extra
space to extend the washroom and the kitchen.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Simboc2004 and Inspecta_Gadget like this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:50 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

I like the wider shower idea Andy, I wouldn’t need to practice playing Twister before a holiday!

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Simboc2004 and Steamdrivenandy like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am
by addisb | 169 Posts

I plan on a couple of changes to our 310 to make it more suitable for us. First: Fixed Bed ! Appreciate any info from anyone who have converted theirs.
Gas: like many here, never used it. Never used the heater even once, don't use the gas hob. Reluctant to remove either but cook outside and also a small oil filled rad that we have used once?twice? So take out the heater and gas bottle and fittings.. perhaps..Somewhere to cool large drink bottles would be nice.
I was a motorcyclist for most of my life and remember a comment on a BMW Motorcycle Forum: I would love a BMW made by Honda, which due to QC + corrosion issues was bang on.
ChrisB

Simboc2004 and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:05 am

Chris,
I did a reversible fixed bed conversion on our first Eriba, a Triton 430. I used 4 or 5 lengths of planed all round timber, about 70 x 32, sitting across the van on the existing base frames. On top went 9mm plywood offcuts with 50mm holes drilled into them for ventilation. I topped this with a standard double mattress. It was a bit heavy.
On our Familia 310 I just left the bed set up permanently, with the swapping over of the cross supporting bar for something heavier gauge. The higher bed was easier to get in and out of.
The gas fire if removed needs a blanking off panel under the van as there is a vented hole. You will also need to cover over the area on the inside to disguise the hole.

Colin

Simboc2004 and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:17 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

An Eriba with a Glass Roof. (clear acrylic perhaps?) How splendid is that.

When I first saw this video I thought wow. Yes, it's an Eriba Feeling optional extra but why not on a Touring?

Glass Roof.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004, Islay and addisb like this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:30 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:55 pm

I would love that...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:42 pm

Roger, the roof structure is different, why I do not know. My Feeling appears to have a central section that is lipped front and back with a moulding. You would have thought it possible to standardise the two different pop-tops, but that would be to logical.

Colin

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:23 am
by Islay | 216 Posts

For me, the loo and wash hand basin are precious. I suppose you could brush your teeth in the sink.......; just not the same LOL I have a shower tent and a solar shower that I use if the site ones are a bit dodgy. The only thing I dislike about our Betty is having to do gymnastics in the night to go to the loo as I sleep under the window.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am

Same for me. My wife is the more frequent user and I can just about make it through the night without needing to go. But that getting up and silently vaulting over her isn't the easiest thing... Our first Triton - a 420 - meant we could sleep longways, but then we didn't have the front dinette to sit st once you had got up... maybe a Troll 530 would be the best answer? Or, even better, the wider Troll 550s? But then, it's wider to tow... No perfect solution.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1