RE: How could Eriba make a better caravan?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:31 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Having just looked at the 2023 brochure, it no longer states caravan width. All the models look now to be the same width. Is that the "old" 200 width, or did they adopt the wider layout from the old 550s?

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

The 55 series, 550, 552, 554 and 555 were all 2.1m.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:23 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

I've just 'done a Motters' and configured a new Troll 540 with a load of options and ended up with a price of £34,930. Gulp!

Somehow, short of a major Premium Bond win, I can't see that happening.

Do people really fork out that sort of cash for a caravan? Twelve years ago I thought £11,000 was steep for our then eight year old 420.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france, Pepé Le Pew, Simboc2004 and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:16 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Not quite that much but ours came in blisteringly close to £30k a couple of years ago Aaron.😳
However, to put that in context, we used to change our wwb’s every 2 years on average, taking a big hit on the resale value and we haven’t so much as looked in a caravan sales lot for 2 years now so we’ll break even in a year or so. 🙂

That’s the thing I love so much about coming back to the Eriba fold, we’re still just as excited to get out with it and still treat it like brand new.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Simboc2004 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:12 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Interesting comments Steve but can I ask if you think the love affair with your van will come to an end in time? I know, a difficult question to answer but as the owner of an older van (1999), it was considered middle aged when we bought it some 13 years ago, we are still in love with it.

I commented recently that during our trip abroad, by far the majority of Eribas we saw and there were a lot, where middle aged or elderly yet their owners looked quite prosperous judging by the equipement they had and the tow cars they were using.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:08 pm
by Islay | 216 Posts

It's much more desirable here to have an older van. So many are bought up and renovated. People like the build quality of the old ones. Bit like me LOL

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Randa france, cabbie37, Julie Grafo and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:19 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It amuses me (not very much) to have the bulge in our showertray to accomodate the wheel, that is further down in our 420. Shame they couldn't manage a flat tray where it would fit. I know, that would cost money.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:41 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #35
Interesting comments Steve but can I ask if you think the love affair with your van will come to an end in time? I know, a difficult question to answer but as the owner of an older van (1999), it was considered middle aged when we bought it some 13 years ago, we are still in love with it.

I commented recently that during our trip abroad, by far the majority of Eribas we saw and there were a lot, where middle aged or elderly yet their owners looked quite prosperous judging by the equipement they had and the tow cars they were using.

Randa

Hi Roger, good question.
We took great care to list all of the features and extras which we wanted in an Eriba, especially the features we didn’t have and missed in our first Troll. (Such as hot water) and a higher-rated axle. The fact was that we couldn’t find all of that on the used market, especially during the post-covid demand.

I must admit that although we weren’t averse to the older models, we do appreciate the higher roofline and wider body of the forever young facelift, even if I would have much preferred proper veneered woodwork to the wallpaper in use these days.

We bought the Troll with the intention of it being our ‘forever’ van, and so far the plan is working although you never know when circumstances may change.

One thing we love about attending the meets is to look at the many older models which have been so well looked after. Eventually that will be us!

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:43 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #22
Don't know where you got those layouts from Simon but the 530 is all wrong as it doesn't show a washroom.

Here are the true images I got from our picture gallery.

Randa

The details of the Trolls got me comparing my current van's spec with a 540.

Overall length is 556 cm whilst the Troll's are 576 cm. So the Troll's are 8ins longer in English money, but Bailey's have a very short A frame compared to Eribas.

Sadly Bailey don't quote a body length, only an internal length of 402 cm and Eriba don't quote an internal length for their vans.

Widthways our Bailey is 221 cm and the Troll's 210 cm, so we're just over 4ins wider.

As to height the Troll's are 226 cm on the road and we're 262 cm, that's 14 ins taller.

Our payload is 271kg against the bare 540's 320kg and we're at the same axle limit of 1300kg, though, of course the Troll's axle can be upgraded as a factory fit cost option, whereas ours can't.

A bare 540 lists at £26,340 whilst the latest version of our van is £22,999. Spec the 540 up with as many of the things that our van has as possible and its price is £33,910. At the same time the payload available reduces to 190kg. Admittedly we only have two berths and no extra seating besides the front lounge, but we do have an oven and separate grill, 4 gas burners on the hob, a microwave, a wardrobe in the bathroom and a separate shower cubicle, plus skylights.

I noticed when looking at the configurator the Eriba are now quoting the Troll's shipping length as 599 cm, that's 9ins longer than the diagram. They must've lengthened the drawbar as the body remains the same.

An extra £7,500 for a van with less facilities is really pushing it.

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/tourin...oenix-plus-420/

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:46 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:50 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Interesting point about the Troll length Andy

I know (or believe I know) that the pre-2010 Trolls are 571 cms long as our tow car (a Touran) is 440 long and we had a number of debates with Norwegian ferrymen who tried to charge us double as according to their 10 metre lines, we were overhanging by about 4". We learned quickly to drive on and hit the brakes suddenly so that the tow hitch compressed. Simples

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:51 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

All of this is true and all ERIBA owners know that there are better “specced” vans out there but they’re not Eribas ��. They are lacking that certain “je ne sais quoi”. We know they’re far from perfect but we love them anyway.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Pepé Le Pew, granddadgrape and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:52 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

An extending shower tray into the living area would be nice, like you can have in a knaus sport and fun...............To quote from the Knaus brochure
“The optional shower extension contains the innovative shower curtain, a shower head and a shower tray that can be pulled out into the living area”

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2