RE: How could Eriba make a better caravan?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

It’s all a compromise. Our first Eriba was a PuckL. Huge seating area in the day, great bed options but no space when the bed made up and no loo. Then a 420, great bed & loo but no dinette and not keen on the end kitchen, somehow it wasn’t the same hassle with the PuckL kitchen. Now a 530, side kitchen & dinette. Leave the bed made up but I have to climb over in the night. Nothing’s perfect except they’re all perfect because they’re Eriba 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Simboc2004, Islay, SOULBLUESMAN68 and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:19 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

It does make one wonder who designs the layouts? And the specs. Do they stick to a tried and tested layout because they worry anything new wouldn't get the sales? Before our latest Triton we tried motorhoming (sorry!), which was good in some ways (pull up, plug in, go to bed) and bad in others (visiting anywhere, having to put everything away to pop to the supermarket - MUCH noisier when travelling). This confirmed us in our returning to Eribas. I don't for a moment miss needing to move the van to fill up with water, or to empty the grey water tank, but I do miss a couple of the features - the considerably larger fridge with separate freezer compartment and a small oven (though would prefer a microwave combo). the wind out Caravanstore was good too, but you can have one of those on an Eriba (and, in fact, a Shadow is really fast to put up and the fewer holes you make in the Eriba's roof, the better)

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:20 am

"Now a 530, side kitchen & dinette. Leave the bed made up but I have to climb over in the night. "

Can you not sleep lengthways in a 530? I thought that was the point of the bigger bed versions? Or is that a 540?

So confusing...

Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:22 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:25 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

No, that's for 540 owners. The 530 does have a very large single+ bed in the front however so Julie could abandon Neil to the rear sideways double and spread out in the front. Only a two minute job to rearrange it into a large dinette.

That's what we've done for a few years now. Bliss. Nowt as good as a roomy bed.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:34 am

Have just looked - back in the 2004/2005 years the 530 was the same layout as a 430, but with a bigger front dinette. The 540 had the bigger bed that you could sleep lengthways in and the front dinette was the same size as in a 430 Triton... There were lots more versions in the 2004 brochure (fixed beds, etc)

The one common feature to all the variants is the gas heater and wardrobe - the one bit I would do away with...

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Eriba 2004 in German.pdf Eriba 2004 in German.pdf
Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 10.31.57.png 
 Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 10.34.01.png 

Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:15 am

What I like about the reconfiguration of the 530 and 540 is that the door on the 530 allows you to open it all the way and you can still get an awning on there.

The way they have done it is to keep the door position on the 530 in roughly the same place, measured from the back of the van, as for the 430. That means that the front dinette takes up the extra length.

However, the designers had a measurement of about 200mm or so to make up and still use standard cupboard sizes so they came up with a narrow tall unit between the wardrobe and the toilet, about 200mm and full height, with shelves, which is a great place to store shoes, socks and pants etc above and tins etc below. We call it the skinny cupboard and it is so useful you wouldn't believe.

To make up the same 200mm measurement on the door side they put in a magazine rack which we use to fit the standard Eriba (behind the door) bin into as well as an unbrella stand with drip tray. How good is that?

I often wonder however why they didn't go the whole hog and add the 200mm or so to the front bed as that would make it a suitable size to accommodate a couple of nippers.

We removed our Gas Heater a few years ago and replaced it with a "look alike" convector heater. This creates far more room in the wardrobe.

convector heater 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004, SOULBLUESMAN68 and addisb like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:34 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:29 am

Don't know where you got those layouts from Simon but the 530 is all wrong as it doesn't show a washroom.

Here are the true images I got from our picture gallery.

530.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

540.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:18 pm

Excuse me Roger but not sure where you get the idea that Neil should get the big bed with the lovely Ikea mattress and I get the dinette? 🤣

Islay, Simboc2004 and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:28 pm

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #23
Excuse me Roger but not sure where you get the idea that Neil should get the big bed with the lovely Ikea mattress and I get the dinette? 🤣

That's only because you are small and sylphlike Julie while Neil is a big bloke.

R x

Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:58 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:36 pm

Flattery, that’s what will get you brownie points or even another glass of red 🤣

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 pm

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #25
Flattery, that’s what will get you brownie points or even another glass of red 🤣

What, stamp collecting? Well, I never.....................................
R x

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:45 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

Most things in Touring's are modular. So the washrooms are the same. The 420 and 540 lounge/beds are the same. The 540 430 and 542 dinette are the same etc etc. So to make major changes you have to either work within an existing window/door set up and associated steel frame body structure or commission a new one and keep as many parts common as possible. And that wasn't insinuating that Roger is common.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:03 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:33 pm
by smitton | 21 Posts

As already stated, all are a compromise and our individual priorities differ.

We spent a great deal of time deciding which Eriba fitted our requirements, definitely the best for us is the 542. The wide, fixed longitudinal bed is a blessing; not having to make up beds, not climbing over each other on night manoeuvers, can get up early and have somewhere to sit etc.

The one thing we would change is to eliminate/slim the wardrobe to extend bathroom for a decent shower area. We have showered with a curtain but it's challenging. I find the storage area under the bed too large and am sure heater, electrics could be moved to enable wardrobe reduction. All in all very happy with the design of our 542. Recommended.

542 Layout.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2019 Touring 542 Adventure gently pulled by Mercedes B180 Petrol Auto
Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

Well, I'm in the radical minority. The ideal for me would have been the Feeling 470. Two good wide long single beds at the front and a nice lounge for 4 at the back. Only problem is at nearly 6.5m it's long and although it weighs little more a bigger car would really have been a good idea.
https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/configurator/feeling#/

Click on the lines top right next to models and you can pull up a plan on the configurator.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:13 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.118 Posts

That Feeling 515 that Randa has put the clip on of would have been perfect for us as a family 25 years ago when our children would have loved that set up with the bunks.

For me I would like that extra light in the pop top but we would need very good blackout blinds on it, otherwise the first light in Spring would wake me up

My biggest gripe with our Troll is with the bathroom. We never planned to shower in it anyway and I can just about use the loo but I really struggle with how small the sink is. It doesn't come our far enough for me when I want to wash my face or have a shave. I end up getting water everywhere - good job there is a shower pan floor.

whilst saying that I wouldn't be without a sink.

MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2