RE: Emptyish Caravan & Motorhome Club Sites

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:55 am
by mmcd87 | 17 Posts

Has anyone got any opinion on whether the Caravan & Motorhome club membership is actually worth it? The main reason I got it was the supposed discounts, but as suggested above, it seems like some of the sites are £40+ per night regardless. I tried their caravan insurance as well and the price was far more than I could get elsewhere. I'm struggling to see what you get for the money. The sites are generally nice to be fair.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:08 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Although we sometimes use the campsites as they are convenient and always clean and top rated, the main reason we are members is because we rely on their Red Pennant Insurance when we travel abroad.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

We are members, like Randa, for access to Red Pennant cover when we travel abroad and the CL network of sites.
The main sites we liken to manicured car parks who are frequently run by "intolerant and inflexible jobs worth". They do generally have nice toilet blocks but are expensive. The caravan insurance cover they offer also brings a tear to my eye when you look at the cost. I still cannot understand the later when you think with 400,000 members they would be competitive.
Cross channel ferry/Eurotunnel deals can also be had which are attractive.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:00 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

Currently on a serviced pitch at Englethwaite Hall CMC, just SE of Carlisle. A beautiful site, with masses of trees and rhodedendrons. The floral display at the reception block and around the site are stunning and the managing couple are lovely. The service points have been given a recent makeover, with a good pitched roof over all the facilities. The site has no shower block or toilets etc but as we're on a serviced pitch we just have to empty the toilet and any rubbish, no Aquaroll or waste master dragging. I'd say the site is about 70% full tonight.
There's a goodly array of dog walks and for the youngsters a 'fairy glen' with electric fairy lights and brightly painted fairy lights toad stools and bits and pieces amongst the woods. It's also one field away from the Settle and Carlisle railway as it runs up the Eden valley, beside the River Eden.

Having been trapped in the van and awning all day yesterday under incessant rain, we had a trip down memory lane with lunch at the Village Bakery, Melmerby and a drive up to the awe inspiring viewpoint at Hartside Summit, on to the charming dales town of Alston and back round through stunning scenery via Brampton.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:38 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Nice! I did a bread making course at the Village Bakery at Melmerby in 2003, when it was still owned by the founder, Andrew Whitley. What a lovely area!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:32 pm

We visited it in 2001, during the foot and mouth outbreak of that year.

Little would appear to have changed, but it now seems to be part of the local estate and doesn't appear connected to the Village Bakery products that used to be in supermarkets. That link appears to have broken.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:56 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

So, as of today, we have booked two Caravan and Motorhome Club sites for end of August /Early September the first being a CL.

£10 deposit paid to each and the rest upon arrival. Imagine our annoyance today when we had a missed call from another campsite (Not Caravan Club) that we've booked to the west of Exeter. £14 deposit paid when we booked and they just announced that the rest of the charge is now overdue, 2 weeks before we get there.

Typically British I'm afraid.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:12 pm

The Old Oaks requires full payment well in advance of arrival and have done for years.

The CMC's online booking system gives you the choice of paying a deposit and the rest on arrival, or the full amount. Apparently many people overlook the choice section, which is pre set for the full amount to be paid. Of course that means they have the benefit of your money for longer and the o lay benefit they can come up with for the customer is that booking in time is slightly reduced.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:20 pm

Well here at Englethwaite CMC site it's suddenly filled up for this Thursday evening. At a rough estimate I'd say it has 95% occupancy.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:25 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

have you looked at rallies and meets, held by the clubs, they are more affordable, in this cost of living time most folks will be on them or hopping between.
there used to be one at Fraisthorpe nr Bridlington in August. right on cliff top.
the club websites should help find the rallies, not sure where
the ccc used to do have the meets in back of magazine however since they stopped never found it online.

Shady Pines likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:50 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

We ate at Buxton on Sunday for 6 nights I'll report back on the situation there

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:38 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

We have just stayed for ten days at a non-CMC adults-only caravan site in north Norfolk (Poppyland in Thorpe Market) and they had 100% occupancy for all but one night whilst we were there (they have 16 pitches). They charge £31 a night high season (£33 Bank Holidays) and £29 low season. They have more space between units than a Club site (room for a car each side of the gravel square for the caravan/awning). Very good value, compared to a CMC site.

Every night we were there there were 3 Eribas on site - if one left, another duly arrived! Former Forum member Tom Webster was living in his Troll 535 there whilst having a new property in West Runton renovated. Hats off to him for that, not sure I could live in an Eriba...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:28 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

We lived in our Triton 420 for 13 months while we waited for our house to be built! Still married but goodness knows how!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:48 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

To follow up on Dinky’s post,

East Yorkshire centre run an August rally at fraisthorpe, and South Yorkshire centre run one at Easter if you are hardy enough! - we have been on quite a few of these rallies and had everything from snow to sunburn! (The snow was when we had our first Troll - no problem at all.)
The club have a marque for evenings, a kids Easter egg hunt on the beach and other entertainment. It does suit ‘joiner-inners’ rather than being a holiday destination but we found it great old-fashioned fun with or without children.

Look in the rallies section where there are lists of all the centre rallies with contact details.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:52 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

To get back to the theme of the original thread, do you think low occupancy might be linked in to the low new-van sales and lowering second-hand values as the post covid boom seems to be losing it’s impetus?

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6