Emptyish Caravan & Motorhome Club Sites

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:19 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I mentioned last month that on our long visit to Norfolk that we hadn't seem many Eribas on the road, which got a variety of responses. We have just had our annual stay on Meathop Fell C & M Club whilst we have our Troll serviced at Adventure Leisure at Tebay.

This year we were really shocked at how empty the site was. Some years we have struggled to get a hardstanding pitch and have driven around a bit to find one we liked. We arrived on Sunday and the choice of pitches was amazing. By Tuesday the site was incredibly quiet. I seemed to often have the gents shower block almost totally to myself.

When we stayed at the Poolsbrook C & M C site just off the M1 at the end of June that was also very quiet compared to previous times we have stopped over on our way back North.

Are other people seeing the same? Is it just the awful weather or are Club sites pricing themselves out of the market? Or perhaps the new booking system is having an effect?

I would be interested in what other people think...........

MikeT

Scroll up

RE: Emptyish Caravan & Motorhome Club Sites

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:44 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

£40 a night mid week during term time just might have something to do with it - yes I know the facilities are spotless, the pitches are well maintained and the flowers are usually very pretty but we would rather spend £20 have slightly less luxury shower facilities and treat ourselves to a coffee and a danish with the other £20.

We have carried on our C+CC membership for so long since our camping days that we can now stay on many of their sites with hook up for under £15 - more coffee and cake for us.

Denise & Phil

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:43 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

I think the 20% deposit may have put some off, as well as the high prices. I noticed that they are going to drop the deposit to 10% so maybe they have also noticed the loss of bookings. On the upside I have noticed that a lot people are not blocking out all the weekends on the popular sites.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:57 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

They’re just too expensive. We belong to both clubs, for Red Pennant in the case of the CMC but mainly for the CL’s and CS’s. For example we’re taking the grandkids away in the school holidays, so one Eriba, two adults, two children £25 a night. Bargain, may be a slight lack of facilities but we consider ourselves as camping not having a 5 star resort holiday.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:13 am
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

As members who do very little camping in the UK, what surprised us is that this year we paid £30 a night (a fixed price for all seasons) at a campsite in Seahaven. A one night stop awating the ferry. Last year we were well and truly stung by the Brighton C and MC Club with a price of around £49, a week before Easter but the weekend of the Brighton Marathon.

The standard of the Seahaven site was OK but nothing to look forward to on the return journey so we elected to travel along the coast for an hour to the Littlehampton C and MC Club site which was £34 (end of June price). Nothing spectacular but the same top quality standard we should expect from that company. Well worth the extra 4 quid in our opinion.

What I'm trying to say is that apart from farmer's fields and CL sites, there are very few campsites that we know of in the UK that charge less than £30.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:16 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:44 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

We're at the CMC site in Teesdale/Barnard Castle and I would estimate that it's 40% full. Most of the motorhomes on site disappear during the day, making it look even emptier. When we were at New England Bay a few weeks ago that was even emptier.
People suggest it's high prices and there may be some truth in that, but that should mean that cheaper independent sites are packed out, but they're not. I suspect people are just not using their vans so much, which may mean a lot of vans being sold soon and used prices dropping, which will make the price of new vans look expensive and hit new sales.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

I have heard several caravan owners say late bookings are getting fairly common as the prospect of high prices and poor weather is not a nice one.
We have just come back a day early from our planned 3 day Cornish break. The weather turned lousy, Mrs eribaMotters was not feeling well and we were only 1 1/4 from home.
The site was had 10 pitches of which 6 were occupied and was located about 4 miles south of Newquay up a very quiet country road. Good sized gravel pitches with lots of grass around, immaculate wash/shower block, 16 amp electrics, adult only, £29 a night.
We called into the C&MC site 400 yards down the road. It looked very nice, but space was tight and the price £39. Occupancy looked about 70/80%.
The larger independent sites we passed looked to be very full.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

Cor, what must it be like to not have to travel all that distance south on the M5 and convincing one's self that Exeter is getting further away? AND. when we finally get there (The End of the World aka Exeter), Cornwall is another 90 minutes down the road

R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

I'm putting my neck on the block again. I did not particularly like the area, except the smaller towns on the north coast roads. The miserable weather was nothing compared to the congestion and roadworks. The south coast and Roseland Peninsular we visited a month or so back was far nicer.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:19 am

We had a seven week trip last year to Devon & Cornwall. We too much preferred the south coast to the north. The roads were equally bad, tight with stone walls hidden in hedges but the villages and the actual coast seemed prettier. The weather was better too but that’s just luck. Our favourite site was a CL (or CS) on the Ramehead peninsula. Basic facilities but stunning coastal views.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:59 am

I walked the dog round the site last night and counted 30 occupied pitches on a 96 pitch site in high summer.

Noticed on BBC News site that they're reporting that travel agents are taking lots of last minute foreign holiday bookings.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:43 am

That will be the lovely summer weather we’re experiencing 💦⛈

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:25 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

Anyone else had the questionnaire regarding use of CMC sites and alternatives?

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:14 pm

Who from and how delivered?

If snail mail we've not been home for the last 10 days.

Last edited Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:46 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Yes - too busy tiling downstairs toilet to be bothered with it
MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105664 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2