Hello - new owners (nearly!)

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 am
by Jams22 (deleted)

Hello all.

We (John and Shirley, both early retired, and 9 year old quite noisy Jack Russell, Cleo) are excitedly awaiting the arrival in Poole of our new Troll 530. It should be here at the end of the month, but we are still awaiting confirmation of the date. Tow bar being fitted next week,(Skoda Superb Estate) touring course on 22 September

We are totally new to caravans of any kind (toured with parents over 40 years ago) and chose Eriba as it seemed to best match our needs and personalities....and it looks so cute! Our main aim this winter is to take it down into Spain in January for a couple of months (we had wanted to set off earlier than that but family birthdays and Christmas obligations intervened). We haven't decided where exactly in Spain, we just want a little warmth and sunshine. For now we plan to stay down in Poole when we pick it up, and then tour around England for as long in October as the weather makes it enjoyable.

We need loads of advice - what accessories to buy, where to stay, routes to take, etc etc etc. We have not ordered a motor mover, mainly because of weight restrictions and we are both fit at present, but we are not sure whether that was sensible. We are trying to decide which awning to get - the new lightweight one is a possibility, but all views are welcome. It's all horribly expensive, so cost effective help will be very welcome!

We are in Broadstairs, Kent and I know the Eriba Owners Club is meeting in Sandwich this week. I emailed them back in July, explained the situation and asked if it would be OK for us to pop along and be nosy and chat to owners, but sadly I received no reply. Was I being too cheeky? Is anyone on here going?

Counting the days to becoming an Eriba owner.....

Jams (its our initials, rather than a reference to traffic - although I will feel a bit "jammy" when our Troll finally arrives!)

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Hello - new owners (nearly!)

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:04 am
by hob (deleted)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 am
by johnhouchen (deleted)

Hello, Tracy & gordon,we are also new to our ERIBA touring 310 loving it so far!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:09 am
by Agger (deleted)

to you from us 2

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Hello you two and welcome. We were novices to caravans before our Eriba Puck L. You will get loads of stuff in here, but as far as the Eriba Owners Club rally goes, just find out weher it is, I can't remembers and go along as we did when it was down near poole and not far from us and where we bought the van. Their website does list the venue I think but it's not a busy website, but just do it, as there is no better way of finding about thingsto see them being lived in and used.

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:54 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Jams22 wrote in post #1
We have not ordered a motor mover, mainly because of weight restrictions and we are both fit at present, but we are not sure whether that was sensible.

We don't have mover either, we use our regularly but this year has been a bit quiet due to my wife's illness (now better) and my mother in laws terminal illness. What I would say is learn to reverse! It's a dying art both solo and with a caravan connected. I learnt years ago in something very very heavy and with a very very big engine and a large trailer. I see more and more people with movers fitted (which is fine) but it should not stop you from knowing how to reverse, movers do fail! I have to reverse, just off a busy roundabout and across the road up a gravel incline through a narrow farm type gate and ghen nevotiate a dog leg to position out Troll at the bottom of the garden it's easier the more you do it. I can and do if I want! Move it by hand but like you I'm early retired at 56 although now 61 and I plan on staying around so if a warden wants my van nose in I'm going to ask them to bend over from now on.

I hope that helps but just persist and take your time, low revs (tickover) easy peasy

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:22 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Yes we have no mover but now but thinking of one. Since my incident in April last year and no driving at all until around Christmas, I had to revise all my driving skills. Reversing with the Eriba - (self taught and practiced) which was OK now seems to have deserted me.

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm
by Jams22 (deleted)

Thanks for your welcomes and replies. The towing course later this month should help us make a start on reversing - John has had trailers before but not a caravan - and I want to try and do my share too!

We will have a drive around Sandwich on Saturday to look for Eribas!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:47 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Trailers if they were smaller than the Eriba then the Eriba will be a doddle the smaller it is the more difficult it is to reverse it I have a trailer as well best of luck and just take your time

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:41 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Quote: Jams22 wrote in post #8
We will have a drive around Sandwich on Saturday to look for Eribas!

Hi both and welcome to Eribafolk. We really look forward to chatting with you regarding the bits and pieces you'll need to get yourselves to Spain in January.
The EOC is currently meeting in Sandwich and will be there until Sunday. Sorry but we don't have the exact address of the meet but it will have to be quite a large camp site with all facilities including a lounge bar or similar as this Saturday will be their AGM which they hold while at the Autumn Rally.
Normally there will be at least 50 vans on site and I know that if you are able to find them on Saturday they will make you most welcome. The AGM will normally go on until about 11am so shortly after that would be a good time to arrive.
Let us know how you get on?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:16 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about a motor mover at the moment, I had to have one fitted from new when I bought my Familia from AL. However I did get the same mover Reich comfort priced up from http://www.midlandmotormovers.co.uk/ and they were a couple of hundred pounds cheaper. Somebody on the forum has just had one fitted by them.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:26 am
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:29 am
by Jams22 (deleted)

That's great, thak you - there is one large site in Sandwich, which we will try first - good advice on the timing, thank you and it means we won't have to get up too early! I will let you know how we get on.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Try not too load yourselves up with to much equipment. Far better IMHO to take the basics on a short trip within a reasonable distance from home and then decide what you really need/can't live without. It's personal, some folks want a TV, others don't need one. Same with pots and pans, bedding etc. Only essentials again IMHO are glasses and a corkscrew.
Enjoy,
Julie.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Fiat Multipla 1.9 Jtd
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:32 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #14
Only essentials again IMHO are glasses and a corkscrew.
Enjoy,
Julie.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1