RE: Motor Mover Protection?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:40 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #15
Thanks, Mick.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on, mines getting like a snow globe....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Motor Mover Protection?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 pm
by hob (deleted)

Not having a mover I'm experimenting with things to stand next to the hitch so the parking censors can pick up where the hitch is ................I think I need something bigger either side .......... still its an ongoing project

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: Hitching Aids

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:20 pm
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #17
Not having a mover I'm experimenting with things to stand next to the hitch so the parking censors can pick up where the hitch is ................I think I need something bigger either side .......... still its an ongoing project

You need something like these Nev. Hitching aids.
Many years ago I made my own from bamboo rods and tennis balls but at £8.99 for these, why bother ( should have patented it shouldn't I? )
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:27 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:06 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

Hitching Aids
hehehe
yep

you know the alko ball you put in hitch for security security ball
alko
it has a flat at bottom that a length of wood or metal could be screw / bolted to for sensors to pick up on

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:30 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:40 am
by Agger (deleted)

My car picks up the van with the sensors and shows it on the display I use an old carpet tile cut to fit over the tow ball between the car and tow ball, this stops contact with your car (not whilst reversing for me, but sometimes it is necessary to move the van an inch or two, forwards or even sideways). I use my normal mirrors (not extenders) to reverse on, I am more familiar with the look through them, I put a pillow case over the extenders if I have pre fitted them (the pillow cases also protect the mirrors in the storage bag). I hope that makes sense!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:49 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I have hitched up on my own on several occasions and found that the reversing sensors are very accurate at bringing the rear of the car to within an inch or so of the hitch. As to centring, it's easy if you combine use of your door mirrors with noting something on the centre front of the van and line it up with something in the centre of the rear of the car, even a tiny piece of sticky tape will do.
All such tips are included in the CC Manoeuvring Course which is well worth attending.
Another tip - get your assistant to stand beside the hitch when guiding you. They should then bend slightly and make hand indications to you through the rear window. This means you only have to look in one direction for guidance and if there is an accident the assistant is 'protected' by the strength of the hitch.
Of course a reversing camera is the dog's what's it's for hitching and they seem to be being standard equipment on more and more cars. I was given a Yaris courtesy car last week and that had one. Very handy.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:55 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:41 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Zitat
get your assistant to stand beside the hitch when guiding you

am sure gladly will do his best but I guess he will sit there watching

I use the front lights on the eriba and line up either side of car while looking in mirrors,
the centre back seat head rest is handy for checking where the centre of eriba front windows are,
then I get out, remove the tow ball cover and eye ball how far back to reverse slowly. quickly check handbrake is on eriba just in case of calculation error..

all really depends on windows, body of car. and mirror angle..

Scroll up

Motor mover protection

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:20 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Crikey! me thread's been hijacked by hitcher-uppers.

Just a quick update on the original topic:

1. There are four holes in the bottom of the lower half of the cover and the largest has a rubber bung which when removed reveals a stainless steel Allen bolt head.

2. Turning this doesn't do any good because at the other end there is a Nylok nut which simply turns leaving you with a loose bolt that you can neither fully remove nor re tighten. (That's where I'm at at the moment.)

3. According to a well-known consultant friend of this forum, there is another rubber plug in the top cover that gives access to the Nylok nut and through this the nut can be held with a suitable sized box spanner while the bolt is undone.

4. Problem: access is limited and there may not be room to get a standard 13mm (?) box spanner into place.

5. The answer could be either to: a) drop the mover unit to gain access (gulp! Don't fancy that) or b) to cut down a box spanner to make a special tool for this purpose.

6. When time and weather allow, I shall be investigating further.

PS ever wish you'd never started something?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Randa france, and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:22 am | Scroll up

RE: Motor mover protection

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:58 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

sorry

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:05 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #23

...there is another rubber plug in the top cover that gives access to the Nylok nut and through this the nut can be held with a suitable sized box spanner while the bolt is undone.

4. Problem: access is limited and there may not be room to get a standard 13mm (?) box spanner into place.

I say this glibly without the benefit of having seen the access or lack of, but can't you get a socket on it - with extension bar/s and a wobble drive if necessary - instead of a box spanner?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 pm

According to the consultant, "You'll never get a socket in there." He had to drop the whole unit to gain access and consequently recommends leaving the covers off permanently once removed so as to give easier access for cleaning, lubrication and roller replacement, should this prove necessary.

I'm hoping that if I remove the caravan wheel, I'll have enough room to get the box spanner into the (small) access hole. If I can do this without too much hassle, I'll refit the plastic covers and fabricate a pair of protective shrouds on the lines of those I saw in France.

While I'm on with it, I'll see if one of my 1/4" drive sockets will fit as you may be right. Access is tight though.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #24
sorry
No need. It was that naughty Mr Randa wot dunnit and it is his forum.

Forum Administrator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #26
...I'll refit the plastic covers and fabricate a pair of protective shrouds on the lines of those I saw in France.

When you're done, please send me a copy of the blueprints.

There's a bottle of Montepulciano in it for you.

As well as my undying admiration.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:46 pm

If I do manage to get out of this without too much egg on my face, Pete, I promise I'll post a full 'How to...' summary with pictures.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:14 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

please can we have a picture, just really to see what is being discussed
and to fore warn you of any eggs

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1