RE: Motor Mover Protection?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:35 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Excellent job Brian, well done.....

Just in case nobody has got a spare rifle cartridge you can get a hole punch and eyelets cheap from Amazon.......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Tarpaul...ds=eyelet+punch

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:37 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Thank you, kind sir.

I bought this set in Lidl on Friday for £3.99 (!) I may yet fit eyelets into the holes in the gaiters.

P1010445.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:38 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:03 pm

UPDATE

As you can see from the picture, the holes in the gaiter material had elongated after only a few days in place on the caravan so I decided to fit brass eyelets to the holes to prevent further distortion. I think that this has finished the job off to a higher standard. I was lucky that the holes I'd punched with the cartridge case were exactly the same diameter as the eyelets that came with the crimping pliers so I'd recommend using a proper hole punch of the correct size.

P1010446.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

P1010448.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:33 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #10
The decision to fit a mover is not just about one's ability or inability to manoeuvre a caravan, it's about physical health, strength, age, personal preferences and, let's face it, finance.

Being a technological Luddite is all well and good but to my mind at least it makes absolutely no sense at all to risk personal injury moving a tonne of caravan manually if, like me, you have had a heart bypass or like my wife had knee replacement surgery.

Our caravan came with a mover already fitted and although I do occasionally reverse into a pitch and hitch/unhitch without using it, 95% of the time we use the mover and frankly I couldn't give a stuff what other people on the campsite think when I do it. If we ever do change our van, fitting a mover will be the first consideration.

It is all too easy to injure oneself when hauling on heavy weights on slippery and often uneven surfaces. Too many of my friends have ruptured themselves or done serious damage to their backs or musculature while engaged in physical activity for me to want to join their ranks.

+1

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:32 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

I have resurrected this thread because I'd be interested to know if the covers cleverly designed by Mr Calder, are still up and running.

The reason for my interest is because the lovely little Yellow stripe Puck L that used to sit beside our Eriba in the field behind the house, has been sold and there is now a very pretty 2015 white 420 in its place and sporting a pair of exposed motor movers.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:51 pm | Scroll up

RE: Motor Mover Protective Covers

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:27 pm
by Simboc2004 | 648 Posts

I have a Reich Basic mover and I engage it using the same 18v cordless drill and socket attachment that we use to wind the steadies up and down. Easy peasy - in fact my wife does all that winding now, leaving me to do the "driving" of the motor mover. The only real complaint I have about the Reich mover is the remote hand set - On a bright day you can't see the activation lights, or the bit in the centre that lights up to tell you which way is the front of the caravan! Not well designed and, when I remember, I'll come up with a better way of doing it...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

RE: Motor Mover Protective Covers

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:29 pm

The best material for covers would be neoprene (wet suit material) I would have thought. Thin, but strong, and easily able to be stretched over the rollers for transit ...

Scroll up

RE: Hitching Aids

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:40 pm

As to the thread-in-thread about hitching up on your own - I use two magnetic, extendable "pens" with fluorescent orange ends. I pop one on the top of the tow ball and one on the hitch near the end, then reverse until the two orange bits come together (depending where you attach them. Works a treat - i have used this technique for years for hitching to varied trailers and, because the tools fold up I keep them in the bottom of my door pocket.... they are long enough, when extended, to see through the rear window of my V70, but it may not work on some other vehicles with high rear windows...

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 19.36.07.png 
 Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 19.36.27.png 
 Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 19.36.37.png 

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #50
I have resurrected this thread because I'd be interested to know if the covers cleverly designed by Mr Calder, are still up and running.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the results and I have only myself to blame.

The problem is that our van is parked in the back garden on a gravel drive so every time I move it, the tyres pick up bits of gravel many of which end up in the movers. Fitting the covers before travelling, for me at least, is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Having said that, the covers would be worthwhile for anyone who parks on a smooth surface as they will prevent stones being thrown up from the road when travelling.

Forum Administrator

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:13 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2