Motor Mover Protective Covers

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:24 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Readers of the Calderlogue may recall a mention of our meeting and chatting to a Brit couple with a Triton on the way south in early September and the improvements made to their van, one of which really impressed me. As I didn't get their names I don't know if they have since joined the forum (I gave them an Eribafolk business card) but, to date, as I haven't seen any posts regarding their modifications, I have decided to start the ball rolling. The items we discussed were:

1. A hand-sized piece of tread that had peeled off one of their van tyres as they moved it two days before setting off for France. The rubber had stuck to the tarmac surface of their drive. Moral: check tyres well before you set off and observe replacement dates irrespective of wear.

2. A modification to the spare wheel carrier - I'm not certain what this was (sorry), and

3. A protective sleeve fitted to the Reich motor movers to keep road muck out of them while towing. It was this that really impressed me.

Due to the design of the Eriba, the movers have to be fitted behind the wheels and hence they are constantly subjected to spray, mud and stones that are thrown up from the road while towing and this can't be good for them. The roller units on my Reich 'Move Control' certainly have a collection of gravel in them but so far I have not investigated how to remove the plastic covers to clean them out. Infinitely better would be a means of preventing the muck getting in in the first place.

What the gentleman had done was to make two simple covers that fixed over the movers and were retained in place by wire hooks and spring clips. (Unfortunately I didn't take pictures but my recollection is that the sleeves were made out of plastic damp proof course material.) It was a brilliantly simple solution and extremely well-executed.

By coincidence, on a site in the Dordogne, the Dutch chap next to us had fitted plastic bags over his mover (non Eriba) and that is the only other time that I have noticed such protection in use.

So, one of my next projects will be to clean out my roller housings and make up a couple of easily removable covers that I can slip on and off as required.

Has anyone else done this and if so, a) how do you remove the plastic shrouds from the 'Move Control' for cleaning, b) what did you use for the covers and c) how are they fixed in place? Any photographs would be appreciated.

As I have a lot of other priority jobs to attend to, this will be low on the list but I'd like to finalise a design over the next few months. If I can come up with something workable, I will of course do a full 'How to....' article for the archives.

If the gentleman I met at the Aire does read this, then please post details so we can credit you with the idea and design concept.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14 am | Scroll up

RE: Motor Mover Protection?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:44 am
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Not being one of the "motor mover" brigade I can only guess at the size of protective covers you would need but would a cheap plastic drawstring toiletry bag on each side do the trick? They are quite hard wearing.
We bought a few some years ago from Wilkinsons (cost around 99p each) and we carry them in the Eriba with the intention of using them as levelling devices (partially filled with sand or dirt) for the external table, outdoor cooker etc. We've never used them .
One other point. Some Eriba owners have managed to fit motor movers in front of the road wheels without fouling the forward facing dampers on the Eriba. However, I still think its a good idea to cover them when not in use.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

, Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:45 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Two thoughts:
Motormovers are specced and built to withstand all the grot and filth that'thrown at them, that's partly why they cost such silly money.
The clearance between motor mover and outer circumference of the tyre is relatively small and the wheels move up and down with the road surface. There's a risk that any extra covering over and above that which the manufacturer deems necessary could be fouled by a wheel travelling at 60mph and cause much damage to tyre and/or surrounding bodywork.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #1
Has anyone else done this...
Yes, but unfortunately not me. I've seen some, but I can't remember whether it was in a photograph or in real life. I'm fairly sure that it was real, mind, and it's not impossible that they were on the same van you saw.

They were exactly as you describe; a snug-fitting sleeve which slipped on over the roller housing. I thought it was a good idea at the time, and John E. and I discussed doing something similar (at some length, too) a couple of years ago. We (or at least I) didn't take it any further, though if my memory serves I think he tried something which subsequently joined the odd shoes, bicycles, mangled roof bars and used prophylactics which decorate the medians of motorways across the land.

I think Andy has a point about Reich designing these things to withstand the crap they get covered with, but only to a degree. If there's one thing which strikes me about add-on caravan paraphernalia it's that there's almost always a compromise of some sort involved in its design or manufacture, and this compromise usually manifests itself in the item in question falling apart - or off - at some point.

And it's entirely possible that the people at Reich drew the line at manufacturing something to solve a relatively rare problem created by the very limited number of vans which have to have the roller housing fitted behind the wheel.

You can't always justify investing the time and resources for a product which will likely sell in very small numbers indeed.

The result, inevitably, is that if you do end up having to replace bits of a Reich mover because of that compromise you will have to get replacement parts from...

...Reich.

Anyhoo, I'm still of the opinion that coming up with something to cover the roller housing - and which fits snugly enough to prevent fouling, naturally - is fundamentally a Good Idea and one worth pursuing.

Go for it.

I'm right behind you.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:29 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I have a Reich comfort mover which has the shrouds, I use CC sites which are predominantly gravel. I usually find collecting gravel is worse when setting off to go home as the weight of the van will make it stick in the treads. I do a small move then brush away the gravel, I've had the gravel jammed in the roller at the mover end and in the tyre tried between the roller, it's a bit of a stalemate as you cannot retract the roller and you have to move it in the direction which will cause the least damage. I've got a few chips in the roller blades, nothing serious but enough to make me a bit more cautious.
I've also got to find the screws to undo the shroud to get the stones out......
Extra weather proofing sounds like a good idea although the Reich comfort has been designed to minimise road spray by putting the motors and the gearing at the back of the unit in the chassis area away from the tyres.
http://www.caravanmoversonline.co.uk/reich/move-control.html

If you look at the Reich economy version you can see that all that is in the shroud is the mechanism to push the rollers out

http://www.midlandmotormovers.co.uk/Cara...ver-Single-Axle

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:46 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:30 am
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Zitat
Quote pepe Le Pew :- I'm right behind you.

What, to pick them up off the hard shoulder when they drop off?

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I was forgetting that it's only the rollers that are in line with the tyres and that the motors are mounted inside the chassis so the problem is not as serious as I'd initially thought.

I can, however, see lots of gravel inside the roller covers on my van but I can't see how to get it out as the access slot is very narrow, hence my query about removing the plastic shrouds. Interestingly, my mover is the 'Move Control' but the handset is the same as the one shown in John's link for the economy version - not that that matters - it works fine.

To answer Andy's point, I've just tried a piece of plastic DPC around the shroud and at 0.54mm thick, the reduction of clearance between tyre and roller unit is insignificant. The plastic needs to be 9" (230mm) wide but the only piece I have is 4" (100mm).

While on holiday I saw a chap parked near to us use his mover (not a Reich and the caravan was a Dutch Biod) and his was much simpler to operate. Whereas I have to struggle to wind the rollers onto the tyres (until the green bar shows), he gave one half turn of the wheelbrace and his mover was engaged. It had a 'teardrop' indicator like those bright green ones you see on lorry wheel nuts to indicate when it was off and on.

I still think that some sort of protective shroud is a good idea as without it the gravel in the roller housings will only build up until it interferes with mover operation.

I'll give it some more thought.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:14 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #2
Not being one of the "motor mover" brigadeRanda

We are a dying breed, it's not just our fellow Eribaists that have them (it makes sense on smaller vans, smaller is more difficult)

We saw some big vans with movers on our recent holiday and the owners have no interest in even trying to reverse, pull up unhitch, mover remote in hand andjob done on site is usually a good place to at least try and reverse! What have you to lose "street cred" being laughed at by people with tiny minds and even tinier brains just give it a go

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:36 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

The mover you saw is probably a Powrmover like the one I have fitted to the Lunar. It was quite disconcerting to use at first after the muscle exercise of winding the Reich on and off. You use a wheelbrace thingy and it's over centre spring loaded, so you heave at it and suddenly it goes 'BONG' and locks on or off the tyre, with an indicator on the casing to show whether or not it's engaged. Apparently they are the biggest selling mover in the UK.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:15 pm

The decision to fit a mover is not just about one's ability or inability to manoeuvre a caravan, it's about physical health, strength, age, personal preferences and, let's face it, finance.

Being a technological Luddite is all well and good but to my mind at least it makes absolutely no sense at all to risk personal injury moving a tonne of caravan manually if, like me, you have had a heart bypass or like my wife had knee replacement surgery.

Our caravan came with a mover already fitted and although I do occasionally reverse into a pitch and hitch/unhitch without using it, 95% of the time we use the mover and frankly I couldn't give a stuff what other people on the campsite think when I do it. If we ever do change our van, fitting a mover will be the first consideration.

It is all too easy to injure oneself when hauling on heavy weights on slippery and often uneven surfaces. Too many of my friends have ruptured themselves or done serious damage to their backs or musculature while engaged in physical activity for me to want to join their ranks.

Forum Administrator
Pepé Le Pew, Poptop320, Magpie, , Eribanut and scouteralf like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:28 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Soapbox time as an ex H & S official it's a pity you did'nt think to check your rear light

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:34 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Apologies if some of my links don't work, I'm still sat in my van using my kindle and it will be useing a mobile version, usually Randa gives me a heart attack with suggesting it's an unsavoury link....
I'm with you with needing a motor mover, I'm not the biggest of guys and we have a slight slope on our drive, when we we had the Puck I slipped flat on my face on some moss whilst pushing it up the drive, I was lucky Mrs poptop was there to stop it rolling over me....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:51 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I'm not against them at all, but I do think to rely on them totally is heading for a problem and if I thought I needed one I'd buy one, a lot of my issues with them are to do with the "old nose in" site pitches. I defend the right of anyone to have what they please and can afford

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:08 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

Brian there are 2 long bolts on each mover simply a case of undoing both and the casing comes apart. The head of the bolt should be underneath the casing but when my man did some work on mine on the Triton the head was on the top. He remedied that when he put them back together as the casing top and bottom are identical

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Randa france, Aaron Calder, and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks, Mick.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105757 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0