Cruise control

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 7:28 am
by christine (deleted)

Don't know if this has been covered, but, how do you get on with the 'cruise control', if fitted, while pulling your caravan?

C&J

Scroll up

RE: Cruise control

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 am
by Agger (deleted)

I have it BUT never use it! I like and enjoy the driving experience myself, others will disagree I guess, but it's just my opinion

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 7:53 am
by crow (deleted)

Its ok on long straight roads whilst there is no other traffic, otherwise
you will spend a lot of time clicking it on and off.
Having tried it I rarely use it now.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 8:05 am
by armorican (deleted)

Agree with Crow. I use CC when towing but only on the continental autoroutes/autobahns etc where you can usually rely on long, steady and uninterrupted runs. Otherwise I do not use it.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 9:15 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.740 Posts

It's a switch.

Turn it on when appropriate and off when not.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 9:51 am
by T & C (deleted)

I use it on motorways and dual carriageways mostly when it helps you to maintain a consistent speed. Having the Eriba on the back doesn't seem to make any difference to the way it works.

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 10:31 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

As with Crow and others above, use it when suitable, it doesn't seem to be affected by towing.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 1:18 pm
by christine (deleted)

I mean, how does the car get on when pulling with cruise control on?
We find it 'strains' a little on long drags of uphills.
No, we don't use ours very much either.

Sparks likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 2:06 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I guess you need to change down then

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Don't know what vehicle you have but Agger has a point.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

I have 2.2 diesel engine when pulling the puck even with cruise on you did not even notice any difference. But having just bought a troll and only driven with the troll being towed once so far. On the Honda is a computer and also on a lot of cars now, what appeared to happen was when on cruise I was getting less m.p.g. I don't know if this is correct but next time out I will pay even more attention.

I don't drive all of the time with cruise and never in the wet. I like to keep control of what is happening I know its only a second to knock cruise off but still its a second saved.

Morphy

Eriba Puck name P4 year 2000 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 6:37 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Morphy wrote in post #11
...what appeared to happen was when on cruise I was getting less m.p.g. I don't know if this is correct but next time out I will pay even more attention.
It probably is correct. Thing is cruise control can't anticipate the road ahead the way you do. It won't feather the throttle as you come towards the crest of a hill, and it won't know there's a downhill bit on the other side. And it'll accelerate pretty hard to regain a previously-set speed - probably considerably harder than you would.

A few years ago I tried a very non-empirical experiment while driving miles and miles and miles across the middle of America on near-empty Interstates, both with the cruise control on and without it. The car's mileage was better with it off. Considerably so.

Not very scientific, but enough to convince me that if you'd rather not waste fuel you're better off not using it.

Like several of the people above I rarely use it despite having a beefy diesel. Like Agger I dislike not being in as much control of what the car is doing as possible.

To be entirely honest, I really only use it when I'm not towing, and even then only on sparsely-trafficked multi-lane roads.

And that's only to stretch out a tired leg or clamber over into the back to get my sarnies.

likes this post!
Last edited Wed May 13, 2015 9:10 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 6:55 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Your dead right about the acceleration on cruise! When we bought this car, and even late last week when we were test driving another, the sales guy knocked it into cruise (the test drive car even brakes for you on cruise, if you go downhill etc) but it took off much faster than I would drive at!

We all see bad driving everyday, and some of it is down to laziness Some is bad practice and some is just more education needed, some you will never teach (that's why we have Police!)

The 8 speed auto box on the BMW's is superb! But I don't drive auto's yet

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 13, 2015 7:52 pm
by Agger (deleted)

christine, are you towing with a Fiat? Just checked the gallery and found a photo of your Eriba and car, but not sure what car it is😲???

If it is a Fiat, they are known to have problems with hills, especially the newer 500, just a thought

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 1:01 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

hehehe a thought was straight to the advert on telly for the new fiat 500, with the blue do dah lol Sorry Agger

cruise control, while its useful in some cases, with Eriba on back you are the best cruise control because you can see the upcoming hills and adjust speed accordingly and react to road conditions quicker.

tried cruise control in a larger vehicle and it was much easier to drive without, mostly because it got confused when going up hill, or had to brake for the one who cuts in.

now I wouldn't mind a retarder, that I would use, or an exhaust brake..

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4