RE: Towing mirrors

in We've got it down to a T Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:36 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Our Puck is the same width as our car so we are exempt.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:36 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Camping & Caravan club mag this month on page 67.
Q. Should extension mirrors be flat or curved?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:45 am
by Bryn | 993 Posts

I have now ordered the flat aero milenco so will see???

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 am

Big discussions, some arguments about this at Stratford. I was given a spare pair and grateful for but in the end couldn't fit them properely due to loss of dexterity and strength in fingers and hands. Am still in great doubt, very grey area and as I said above I think I am exempt. To argue this in France however mught be a different situation.

Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I just checked the C&CC mag pic on page 67. The joint in the horizontal rod looks to be an improvement on the Millenco Aero version but is it just me or is the view in the extension mirror not worth the trouble??? The car mirror seems to show a better view.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:10 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:16 pm
by T & C (deleted)

So - and maybe a silly question, do we need to have towing mirrors in the UK even if the tow car is the same or wider width than the caravan?

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:39 pm

T&C I think not. The french explanation says not needed as long as the caravan is towed by a sutiable vehicle, so in that case, they leave it wide openly in the grey area too.
Who the hell is responsible for a definitve answer?
I have been told that the only way they can test is pull you off road into a set up test with cones, lane and measurments. How often does this happen, trucks maybe. If questioned by a pedantic copper at the roadside, I would be tempted to blag it and show him the spare mirrors in the boot and say sorry I fo got.

Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:11 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

I have to say that for quite a few years I decided I could do without them. I found that they were a distraction and I couldn't get on with them.
I had a very good view on both sides of the Eriba and also a partial rear view through the Eriba's windows.

However, because I had one mirror "in stock" I decided to try it on one trip and after a few miles to get used to the idea I was converted and now wouldn't do without them. I don't have expensive ones so there is a very slight vibration with them but the additional rear view I gain is amazing. I no longer consciously use the car's own mirrors.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:10 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks mate.

It's not a case of deciding I can do without them Roger, it's a case of what is legal and if I contravene regs then I don't want to and equally Carole goes nuts about anything about that.

But there is nowhere I can find that states an actual definitve answer. I have just contacted the C&CC for their enswer and await the reply.

Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:29 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

You've obviously seen this Derek. http://www.caravanwise.co.uk/caravan-tip...ng-mirrors.html

Whether you are within the law or not, the question is would you like to argue with a very p***ed off, pedantic plod on a very wet day?

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and Ribski like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:11 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:38 pm
by hob (deleted)

What the UK .GOV site says

Zitat
Towing mirrors

You must have an adequate view of the road behind you. If your caravan or trailer is wider than the rear of the towing vehicle, you may need to fit suitable towing mirrors.

If you tow without proper towing mirrors you can be:

prosecuted by the police
given 3 points on your licence
fined up to £1,000

Reference

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/towing-equipment

My take on that.....................a set of mirrors cost less than £1,000

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Ribski likes this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:43 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

We bought a set of flat Milenco Aero mirrors just before Stratford meet and used them then for the first time. Not sure they were of any use re visibility (the car's own mirrors seem to give a perfectly good view) but they mean there is one less thing for the police to pull you over for.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Ribski and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:40 pm
by Agger (deleted)

To be honest most of us spend lots of hard earned cash on a thing of beauty (an Eribanot a wife) why not buy a cheap set of mirrors, put them on and then your covered? If Percy Plod wants to check if they are legitimate he has to have a pretty big unhindered stretch of road and a place to park another vehicle at the required distance and angle, I just think they have more important things to deal with!

It does'nt answer the question but then I live in the real world where "stupid" people make "silly" unenforceable rules and regulations instead of sorting out and educating people with the right way to do it, I call them "educated idiots"

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:49 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

When I was traveling home on the motorway last Sunday the police had pulled over a large double axle Hobby caravan pulled by an average looking estate car, the car looked far to small and narrow compared to the van and it had no towing mirrors....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #29
When I was traveling home on the motorway last Sunday the police had pulled over a large double axle Hobby caravan pulled by an average looking estate car, the car looked far to small and narrow compared to the van and it had no towing mirrors....

But of course that's speculation as to why they pulled it over?

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0