RE: Towing mirrors

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 pm
by hob (deleted)

On the other hand if you can't see it you can't book it

P1300078.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
P1300093.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

My old puck just disappeared behind the ranger

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I need to get a set of these, and wondered if cheap and cheerful with something universal and to regulations or to invest in a decent pair like Milenco etc ?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #32
I need to get a set of these, and wondered if cheap and cheerful with something universal and to regulations or to invest in a decent pair like Milenco etc ?

Milenco are not that expensive and well worth the money, the flat ones are the best and fit most tow cars

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:25 am
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

We lost a Milenco mirror on the A14 on Monday this week while returning from the EribaFolk meeting. A rather large truck overtook and just sucked it off the car.

Luckily you can buy them singly, so a trip to Norwich Camping and Leisure soon restored the status quo.

Keith

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi
http://trollingwithaudrey.com
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 am
by T & C (deleted)

An interesting debate - thank you for your replys. When we first took delivery of our Puck L we didn't use towing mirrors then hearing of an acquaintance who was pulled over for not having them (granted it was a small caravan but not an Eriba) we took fright and bought a cheap pair and found that at least on the drivers side it improved the rear view significantly. So now we tend to fit one mirror to the drivers side but don't bother with the nearside - seems to work fine just hope the Police would consider this legal. If I'm pulled over with one mirror I'll let you all know!
Tony

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:10 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Nev thanks. what the law says is ambiguous by the use of the word "may". Would a pedantic cop want to argue in the pouring rain too?

" you may need to fit suitable towing mirrors."

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Ribski and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Zitat
what the law says is ambiguous by the use of the word "may".
"you may need to fit suitable towing mirrors."

I think the ambiguity arises because the law doesn't know what mirrors your car/towing vehicle is already fitted with. The law says only that you must have adequate rear vision. If you already have mirrors that give you this, then you're ok. If not, then you are required to modify your car so as to achieve it. It's the "if/if not" that gives rise to the "may", and therefore the ambiguity.

We could then go on to dicker about what constitutes "adequate", but I'm sure there was a diagram posted here a while back showing sightlines and blindspots, so it's not too difficult to work it out.

For my part, as long as I can see where the Eriba's nearside wheel is relative to the kerb, then I'm ok. No matter how I adjust the RAV's n/s mirror, I can't see it, so, never mind what the law says, I need at least one additional mirror.

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 45 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1