RE: My Walker awning arrived today

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:37 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

OK, thanks for that. On reflection that indeed would seem to be the most logical, if not the only place, this strip could go. Like I intimated earlier though, I fail to see what real purpose the fitting of this thing achieves. It's not as though it's protecting anything from water (rain) ingress because when the back of the awning gets pushed up vertical by the 'T' piece fitting then this White Strip will also be sitting vertically and if so, water will still be free to run in between the strip and the awning itself and hence down the side of the van itself which I'm guessing this strip is supposed to prevent. Time will tell I suppose - in the video that I intend making of the erecting of this thing I'll be sure to capture some rain footage, after all it's bound to rain sometime during the 3 days it takes to put up LOL.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:38 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

You remember the Isabella Cling-ons that clip to a plastic profile that parallels the awning rail strip?

Well it looks like you fix a short strip to that and then the spike on the upright must slot into a hole behind.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:42 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Nice guess, but no P I B as there are 11 of those Cling-ons (called Easy Setup brackets in Walker speak) and other than the one used to extend the 'T' piece all the others are distributed amongst the other poles according to the drawings included in the destructions.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 pm

No you mistake my directiones

You should have that black horizontal piece in the pic in your bag o' bits. That presumably gets threaded on the same profile as the Klingons. As it is rigid and relatively longish it turns that length of profile into a firm foundation for the upright spike. So the awning rail strip just runs through the awning rail and the upright is supported on the black strip.

Capiche?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

[quote="Puss in Boots"|Capiche? [/quote]

Oh yes, but that black horizontal piece isn't in fact in my bag o'bits instead it's permanently fixed to the piece leading vertically off it and is in my bag o'poles. Comprendo?

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:00 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Il comprend.

Zo ze black horizontal piece with the vertical adjustable upright clips on the plastic profile for ze Klingons. Presumably it slides on from one side or the other before the Klingons are fitted as it doesn't appear to have a clip-on mechanism.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:21 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Jawohl - Sie ......or something along those lines anyway. I think your presumption must be correct and it must also be a very tight fit (considering it's not actually in the awning rail itself) to withstand the upward pressure once the top section of pole is extended to tension the awning at that point.

Weekly krimi on the tele time.

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:35 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
OK, thanks for that. On reflection that indeed would seem to be the most logical, if not the only place, this strip could go. Like I intimated earlier though, I fail to see what real purpose the fitting of this thing achieves.

I think the idea is to direct the rain water running off the roof away from the awning so it runs off the ends of the van.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Without it the Eriba gutters soon get overfaced in a downpour and then it saturates the upright canvas around the awning rail and runs down the side of the van. The strip effectively makes the gutter much much bigger with a higher capacity which all falls off the end of the van. I believe AL and Jandi can get hold of the strip on its own.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:43 am
by Deeps (deleted)

I do believe that the penny has finally dropped.

When viewed from the back of the van, the curved part of the roof is forming one side (the left side) of a 'U' shape with the gutter. When the Weisse Strip is mounted and pushed up vertically by the rear of the awning this then forms the other side (right side) of the 'U' shape. So in effect one has a much deeper channel in which rain water can disperse as opposed to reliance on the gutter alone. Cause for celebration me thinks. Hick.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 am

Who are you calling a 'Hick'?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Those nice people have now sent me an idiots guide to erecting an awning. Well not a guide really, more like a picture with which to paint a thousand words. Dead simple when you know how isn't it?
Weisse Strip.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:18 am
by Jebrug (deleted)

Porch.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Porch.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)The problem with Eriba's generally is that the awning rail is below the gutter, which means water runs off the vertical connecting section of the awning roof and leaks out of the awning rail down the side of the van. The simplest and most effective antedote we have found, is on our porch awning which has a small apron attached to the awning roof that is tied off to the elevating roof "scissors" which then throws the water higher up the caravan roof above the gutter. The water then drips off this apron and runs down into the caravan gutter. Simple and cheap solution.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

so it was impossible to put them in the wrong place !!!!!
Many years ago when I was new to camping, I bought an OBI frame tent, a huge thing, after about an hour of struggle we ended up with 2 frames but only had one piece of canvas, managed to sort it in the end but it was touch and go for a while

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:12 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #27
Those nice people have now sent me an idiots guide to erecting an awning. Well not a guide really, more like a picture with which to paint a thousand words. Dead simple when you know how isn't it?

We idiots like a bit of help now and again

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105572 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1