RE: What first attracted you to an Eriba?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

I have had tents and also roughed it under a poncho with the Army, cold damp camping isn't for me anymore. We had a static caravan for a few years and then soon realised that buying the van was the cheap part, actually keeping it on-site with all the fees was very expensive. We also got fed up with the rules that appeared over night to target certain individuals, it was like been on medieval barons estate..
We were looking for a lightweight tourer and originally considered the Freedom caravan however soon stumbled on the Eriba brand and never looked back...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #1
What first attracted you to an Eriba?
I honestly can't remember.

I can't even remember why it was that I even considered getting a caravan at all since they'd always been anathema to me; from years of getting stuck behind the bloody things on the road to the kind of weird and anal people who seemed to own them.

Like several others on here we'd camped for years and years, in our case mostly as a consequence of working on archaeological digs in Montgomeryshire and Shropshire for a succession of summers from the mid seventies to the late nineties when both of the digs went into semi-permanent hibernation. As our family grew so did the size of the tents, and at least three of them are still in the attic, a happy reminder of halcyon days.

We never even gave caravans a second look. We never saw the appeal of tugging a smaller version of our house and most of its appurtenances around behind us, hamstringing our enjoyment of whatever car we happened to have at the time, and to be honest we still don't.

To this day I'm still slightly ashamed to admit to letting a wry smile flit across my ugly mug whenever we saw a pile of metal, plastic and perforated hardboard which had been swept onto the verge at the bottom of a precipitous descent somewhere in Scotland, though needless to say I would never have wished ill on the poor folks who had been towing it and whose holiday had been utterly ruined as a consequence.

My only thought at the time was that at least it wasn't holding any other road users up any more.

And I know that thought was shared by many, many others too.

Times change. Attitudes change.

They changed for me some time in 2008 when I had either an epiphany or a funny turn, and I still can't work out which it was or what on earth prompted it.

We began by looking at T@Bs - the littlest one - and I suppose it was while we were mulling them over in a not-too-interested kind of way that I happened to come across Eribas somewhere on the net.

And that was that, really. I showed Mrs Pete, and while on one hand she made several encouraging noises about them, she also made several faintly surprised and even more disparaging ones in relation to my apparent volte-face regarding caravans in general. My father-in-law never let me forget it either, bless him.

Our first one was a brand-spankers 230GT from Lechlade which we had for a couple of years before an unpleasant twist in our financial circumstances obliged us to sell it to Steve at AL. While we had it, it was everything we hoped it would be and we were very sad to see it go.

In 2011 we came into a bit of dosh and rather rashly decided that the first thing we would do with some of it was get another one, but this time one which overcame the only real shortcoming of the 230, namely its lack of a toilet.

I'd been mulling over what we'd get to replace it with and had decided in a rather optimistic way that our absolute ideal van would be a long bed Troll.

I emailed Steve and mentioned this to him, hardly expecting anything more than a courteous acknowledgement let alone the one which fell into my inbox a week or so later.

It asked if we'd like to come and have a look at a 2008 540 which someone had traded in for a 420 because the geezer who owned it had moved house and the Troll was about three inches too long to fit on his drive.

We went, looked it over and said yes on the spot.

And here we are.

I've fiddled with it and changed or added one or two things to satisfy the inveterate tinkerer in me, and succumbed to the overwhelming temptation to get a proper awning for it, though I do think that because we came into this game from the austerity of a tent we've hopefully avoided the temptation to fill every nook and cranny with gubbins we don't need just because we've got the space. We still stuff clothes into lockers rather than putting them neatly on clothes hangers in the wardrobe, and I hope we always will.

We're camping after all, not attending Glyndebourne.

I'm still ambivalent about caravans in general, but not these ones. I still think a lot of the people who own caravans - not these ones - are weird and anal, and I still don't understand this obsession they have with playing house in the middle of a field somewhere to the extent of taking a vacuum cleaner with them or spending half a day up a pair of steps (which they presumably also brought with them) washing and polishing the damned thing.

Still, as Napoleon said, chacun à son goût.

R5n4-02f LdW17-h ncJ-515

, Aaron Calder, Poptop320, , Julie Grafo and FINNWOODY like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.455 Posts

Totally agree with you on a lot of this Pete. Having come from years of tenting every piece of equipment had to have more than one use and most of them are in the Eriba (getting our moneys worth out of them)! We had had our PuckL for over a year before I found another storage area off to the side of the wardrobe. I'm always amazed by the amount of stuff people cram into their vans, we do have an awning but we don't do TV. Sometimes I wish I had a particular wotsit that would just do the job (whatever job it is) but I still wouldn't take it with me next time, we can normally improvise or do without.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Randa france, Pepé Le Pew and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:57 am
by fenman (deleted)

What attracted me to the Eriba caravan, simplicity. Started out in a tent, bought a campervan and then we wanted more space so bought s two berth white box caravan. Then it started to get ridiculous, we moved on to a four and then five berth for just the two of us. Thankfully we didn't go done the awning route but none the less we were carrying way too much stuff simply because we had the space. Storage became an issue too. We met up with friends who were selling there Combi Camp trailer tent for a newer model. We liked the simplicity of it, well more basic than simple but it gave us space and comfort with its two beds, the only downside was sodden canvas syndrome which came after two summers of glorious weather and the final trip being a total washout. Then there was the moment of our epiphany, some other friends had bought a new Puck, we were smitten and ended up buying a second hand Familia 310. So easy to store, tow and live with. Now we have our own Puck L which suits us perfectly. We will keep this van until one of us falls apart.
Colour wise, the silver finish looks good but I prefer the silver and white of our own van.

Puck L 230GT towed by Peugeot Partner Tepee 112
marmite, Randa france, Poptop320, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:50 pm
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Almost three years ago now, Mr Calder asked this forum "What first attracted you to an Eriba?" However, he didn't explain that he had been a caravan tugger for many, many years.

Just found this early photo :- Aaron Calder.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
FINNWOODY, thecolliss, and Julie Grafo like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 pm
by eriba4us (deleted)

Having been tent campers for many years, in 1994 we saw a Gobur Carousel folding caravan advertised by a private seller locally at £1400.00. It was a 1984 3 berth and needed a bit of TLC. I cannot fault the Nofolk based company for their excellent service helping in bringing it up to scratch. We had that caravan for a couple of years but being a folder it was very difficult to fold it down in a snow and hail conditions. Once the sides were folded down the interior became exposed to the elements so after a winter break in North Wales we decided to sell, which we did. We were looking for a caravan which was low (a conventional van would not fit under the arch over the entrance to our drive). Then we discovered Eriba, which was perfect for us and in 1996 we purchased a 1994 Eriba Familia (a private sale). We had that little van for 14 years but eventually changed it for a 2004 Familia purchased from Automotive Leisure which was not without problems.However we were still hooked on Eribas so we sold that and bought our Triton 430 with a fixed bed from a private seller in Leominster. It was the fixed bed which attracted us. I can lay in bed while the Mrs lays the breakfast table and makes a cuppa.
Gobur in Wales 2088.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) photo003 copy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

/Users/davidcooper/Desktop/P1030081.JPG

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:18 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Gobur? Didn't he share a cell with Fletcher?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105612 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1