What first attracted you to an Eriba?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:29 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

In answer to a query today I said something to the effect that owners seem to have been attracted to buy mainly by the appearance of the Eriba, their purchases having been dictated by their hearts rather than their heads. It's a wild generalisation, but is it true?

In our case (and I've read many similar accounts by other people) our epiphany occurred on a French camp site while sitting outside our tent enjoying the sunshine. A brand new Puck suddenly appeared towed by a British couple on their first touring holiday and I was smitten. From that moment I knew I had to have one and over the ensuing year or so I read everything I could about Eribas before visiting Automotive Leisure to look at the various models. Nine months later we went back, bit the bullet and parted with our cash.

At no time did I consider depreciation or the practicalities of living with the caravan. It was the looks that mattered and more than four years later I still catch myself gazing out of the window and admiring our lovely Triton. Obviously, during our ownership we have developed a bond with our Eriba despite a number of problems about which I've written extensively but not once have we regretted buying it. How many purchases can you say that about?

Now that all our problems have been sorted out to my satisfaction, well, until the next one rears its ugly head, I can honestly say that I have no desire to upgrade to a newer model. The one we currently own does everything we need and while it would be nice to have a bit more space, a shower and all the gizmos that come as standard with modern British WWBs, we are very happy with what we have got. I suspect that could well be the same for most of our members.

On the subject of the appearance of the Touring range (possibly the most important factor influencing sales), am I the only one who thinks that Hymer has lost the plot recently? For me the traditional two-tone brilliant white over mid-grey is THE classic look and by comparison the new paler standard colours and the all-silver GT finish are just, well, a bit bland and boring.

I realise that this is tantamount to heresy in Eriba circles, but it's just my opinion which has no more (or less) value than yours.

So what do you think?

1. Why did you choose to buy an Eriba? Was it a carefully considered decision or was it love at first sight and totally impulsive, and

2. What do you think about the traditional versus the new colour schemes? Has Hymer got it right or do you, like me, mourn the phasing-out of the 'classic' colour scheme?

Triton2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Traditional scheme

eribastoneimpactpanel (3).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
New standard colour scheme

DSCF7552.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
New GT all-silver finish

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet [

marmite, Poptop320, , campnsnooze, and gamrer02 like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:59 pm | Scroll up

RE: What first attracted you to an Eriba?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:39 pm
by Agger (deleted)

We had looked in Germany in 1977 we were at Bergen Hohne (Belsen) and we were looking at buying a replacement caravan then they were plentiful used, but we really wanted new, but could'nt strectch our finances that far, I was a Corporal at the time.

From there we moved to Munsterlager and decided on a camper, we were just a few days away from taking delivery and I was asked to take the place of a guy in Northern Ireland who's wife was dying of cancer, so I left Jen and went to Antrim for 2.5 years. I was in a civilian house and had long hair.

I took delivery of our camper from Bristol and drove it back to Munsterlager after staying at my parents house in Gloucester for a night. It's about a 650 mile drive but I had all I needed onboard. We travelled extensivley in Euurope in that camper, I even drove it nude due to the heat over Stelvio pass.

We then traded that for another camper, but looked at various makes of German caravans. LMC, Hobby, Burstner, Wuppert, Tabbert etc and we were planning on a purchase, but again I was asked to take someone else's place on a Northern Ireland trip, this time I was at a well known internment camp, but I took my Mini 1275gt with me.

I returned from there and we bought our Burstner but again had looked at Eriba. We had that Burrstner for 18 years toured Europe extensivley again, right down to Etna on Sicily, and it came back to Gloucester every time we spent leave here, 2 or 3 times a year, mostly via Calais and then the hovercraft.

We bought the Eriba from Lechlade and owned it 10 years, in that time we went everywhere we wanted to, never had any faults! nor did we withh the Burstner, I had to replace a few water pumps and 4 batteries since 1977

I will only ever buy a German caravan as I believe they are the best, I'm biased I know, but I trust my belief. If / when we ever have another caravan, it will be German and it will be an Eriba, it might be a copy of a WWB if we think we need more space BUT I bet we would end up with a Troll 540gt.

FWIW I paid £5600 for the Burstner then claimed the tax back, so less than £5000, we sold it 18 years later for £1800. The Eriba we paid £13000 for and sold it 10 years later for £????????? that's between us and it's new owner (I have morals)

On reflection, it was the iconic look of the Eriba that first led us to look at them, ease of towing, residuals, and all that other rubbish never even entered our heads, we are PROUD to say we owned an Eriba, and yes we do miss it, but we have a plan!

Best of luck to all you future purchasers

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:46 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Good topic, I suppose as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I will soon be on my 3rd Eriba. I have had a 1993 Puck which was silver and cream, 2012 Familia white and grey and now soon to have a Silver 2015 Eriba Familia.

Since 1958 Eriba has consistently changed the colours but fortunately for us the concept and shape has stayed the same.
The all silver colour is stunning when I saw one in the flesh and it was one of the attractions as well as the interior which prompted me to px.

I think Hymer are trying hard to revitalise the brand to attract new owners, however it's always a fine line how far to go when modernising a classic without compromising the ethos that draws us to the Eriba brand. In my personal humble opinion Hymer has got it right, the new Eriba still has the external classic lines that we all love and with an interior that looks like an expensive yaught......

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 pm
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Although we did briefly own a Dormobile campervan and also a small conventional caravan many years ago, we’ve been tent campers for decades and have owned a variety of large tents.

Holiday--021b_2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When the kids grew up and left home we continued to travel Europe with large 5 or 6 berth tents with all the equipment and we really enjoyed that abundance of space. Everything packed away in the estate car so we were able to abandon the roof rack and towing trailer.

SS853119.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Often during our travels we would come across these gorgeous small vans which we found very appealing.

However, although I tried on many occasions to persuade Mrs R to consider them she was adamant that she would prefer holidaying under canvas.
There was a period of about 3 years when we would come up behind an Eriba on a European motorway somewhere and I would slow down and follow it, discussing the width of it, then pull alongside and comment on the compact length before pulling in front and taking a long envious look in the rear view mirror ( it now sometimes happens to us ).

Mrs R was finally persuaded to research them further after a March camping holiday in the Cote d’Azur. The days were splendid but the nights were freezing. During our journey back and while we were staying at a camp site in Vaison la Romaine I chatted up the German owner of an Eriba 320 Familia who happened to have a Welsh sticker on the back of his van. Although Mrs R did not get the guided tour, I was shown around it and I was sold.

Upon arriving home and after a fruitless visit to a not very friendly Lechlade, we visited Ian at AL expecting to see and come away with a 320 but Mrs R fell in love with our Troll 530 so that was it.

We were really taken with the late 90’s purple striped colour scheme and the double front window. My only reservation was the dated rear light clusters. Not so now however because they are part of the retro character of our van.

Since I’ve become more knowledgeable about the history and evolution of the Eriba I am now taken with the late 80’s to mid 90’s Cream on Silver, Red and White striped colour scheme as well as the Green, Yellow or Purple striped white on silver vans of the mid to late 90’s.
I also prefer the interior wood colour and recessed door style of the 90’s models. But I would say that wouldn’t I?

Old is best:-

IMG_4982-24th-June.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Wobbly-box.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

, , Poptop320 and like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 pm
by Hollers (deleted)

When we first decided that we wanted to become campers we took a visit to Airstream, my husband said he wouldn't be seen dead towing a white box but he said he would consider towing a silver one. We were actually looking at a T@B, all silver and funky, but having looked around at the various models we didn't feel as though the build quality was quite there.
We left it for a few months before we started looking again. We spent a lot of time researching Eribas, I stalked this website long before we bought the Troll.
We took another visit to Airstream to have a look at the troll, we were instantly impressed with the quality, we specifically wanted silver, it's sleek and contemporary and compliments our car perfectly.
We like the fact the modern van has barely changed from the original design, we knew we were buying a timeless classic that would never need replacing.
If I'm honest the outside of the Eriba is far more appealing than the inside and I instantly knew when I saw the very beige interior, with the silky satin curtains, some radical transformation would have to take place. The curtains went before we got out of the showroom, and after injecting some colour it now feels like home!

Incidentally we bought our Eriba from AL, Airstream couldn't match their offer, although I can say their customer service was spot on.

As for old versus new, it's a difficult one, externally they all look great, internally some look dated (vintage), I'm hoping one day our van will be a classic too!!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
1. Why did you choose to buy an Eriba? Was it a carefully considered decision or was it love at first sight and totally impulsive, and

2. What do you think about the traditional versus the new colour schemes? Has Hymer got it right or do you, like me, mourn the phasing-out of the 'classic' colour scheme?

1. For me, never having been interested in caravans except to mutter rude words whenever I came up behind one,
It was another hobby that got me started I was at the time showing stationary engines at steam rallies and other similar bygone type events some of which allowed camping over the weekend for exhibitors. To cart the engines about I bought a ford ranger pickup (2 seater with a huge cargo area on the back) this would carry my kit and when unloaded would let me sleep in the back.
I already had a big airbed from my camping days so attended my first weekend event unloaded and blew up the airbed ready for the night..... not the best nights sleep iv'e ever had with loads of kit on a shelf covering 1\2 of the sleeping area and a rear door that left a gap even when closed. Some of the guys towed a caravan behind their trucks to sleep in and one was a puck, never seen one of those before and never having towed anything bigger that an 8 by 4 trailer which I was hopeless at reversing (had to disconnect it and push it backwards)
I was wary about towing a caravan even though the 2.5 L ranger would tow up to 2 metric tons but the puck was no bigger than my 8 x 4 trailer...........just a bit taller anyway we had a party by the caravans next evening and I was invited by the puck owner who let me have a look round it........it was a 1990 model and within my price range and looked a lot better than the back of the truck it had a fridge for the beer and a gas burner for my whistling kettle and most important a bed to sleep on , so the rest was history I got me one of those little eriba thingies

P1300093.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Not a liking for caravans or even a love affair for an eriba (that came later) more a need for a mobile bed that attracted me. (no rude comments please)

Looking at that picture now I could have saved the tyres and put the puck in the back of the truck

That was in 2012 .............the engines the puck and the pickup have all gone now but somewhere along the line the Eriba bug bit me while my mind was on other things so now the light of my life is my imported Triton and its towcar closely accompanied by a bear with a flat hat and a bow tie
P1000671.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2. The classic colour scheme has a lot going for it but even "classics" need to evolve in a modern market or get left behind for me the most striking change in recent times has been the 2009 revamp of the roof ...... not so much for the small height increase but the shaping and style of the new roof I find a great improvement paint is after all just paint and as long as it is within reason makes little difference to me although I have been put off by a couple of interiors with ghastly (to me) upholstery colours.

My favourite colour scheme would have to be the 1999\2000 yellow stripe\yellow roof canvas model.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Ribski, , , Magpie, Poptop320, campnsnooze and gamrer02 like this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:16 am
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #1

So what do you think?

What a great thread, thanks Aaron

1 This will echo some of what Hob wrote. My ex-wife got me interested in VW's being the owner of a classic Beetle. Through the VW scene I was aware of Eriba's but had plans to one day own a camper and cussed the blessed caravans halting the progress of my lovely GTI! Following the breakup of that relationship, I fell in love with Carol and together we got involved in the wonderful dog sport of agility. Many other competitors brought caravans and camped in the field and after quickly ruling out a VW T5 camper as impractical with four dogs started researching Eriba's whose looks appealed to me far more than wobbly boxes. After reading about the way they are built, the compact dimensions and the way they tow I was hooked. With trepidation I showed Carol some photos and she was really keen, so we arranged a visit to AL to sit in some and Familia-ise ourselves with the layouts. Well, once we sat in a few we were smitten kittens and left AL determined to buy a 320 or 420. In June we found the perfect 320GT and couldn't be happier with it. I am again the proud owner of a GT.

2 I once again echo Hob, the new roof line is a big improvement making it more sleek when the roof is down, but the white over grey let it down. At AL last year I was amazed to see the dimpled finish but the silver is gorgeous, even better in the flesh than pictures so I think Hymer were right with silver wrong with dimples. The white over silver is a classic and I hope one day it returns on the new shape. I would love to see a Gold edition in the flesh as I have read they are stunning, in which case the pictures don't do them justice.

What do you think of this?

10405577_702835093122510_3242275455458865673_n.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.

Randa france, Poptop320, and campnsnooze like this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:47 am

We were on the next pitch to a lovely Swiss couple with a "Gold Edition" at the Eriba Euro Fest earlier this year.

It's pretty obvious when one thinks about it but until they mentioned it I hadn't realised that the Gold edition was a limited build in 2008 to celebrate 50 years of Hymer/Eriba.

IMG_3087.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

and like this post!

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:13 am
by Eribear (deleted)

We've been driving down to visit elderly parents in Barcelona for years staying in hotels in France which we used to enjoy.....but then it got really expensive the supper with bottle of wine costing more than the room, we decided to buy a rather large tent believing that the entrance to the house in Barcelona was way too restricted for a caravan....plus the idea of towing a caravan had never appealed to either of us. On our first journey down....consisting of 3 ...1 night stops it took almost an hour to set up each stop...we enjoyed the freedom of camping and having our own stuff around but the setting up and taking down was a bit of a drag ...on the way home at one of the sites we stopped at there was an Eriba....and BINGO.....we knew it was small enough to fit in the garage in Barcelona and we were sold......not to mention the fact that we were completely taken with the look of the Eriba. We got home, I went on the net and within a month we had a Familia which was the only one we could find to buy before our next trip down to Spain....we used to go down 3 times a year for a couple of weeks in those days. It was a dream...set up and sitting out in the lovely sunshine with a 'Bloody Mary' within fifteen to twenty minutes .... what more could one want!!! We did change the Familia for a Triton within the year so that we could leave the bed made permanently and we could eat inside the van in the mornings at either end of the year when the weather was cooler. We now adore our Triton, RB....he has hot water an integral water supply to give us the cupboard space, LED lights and spots over the bed... and lots more electrical points. He came with a Soplair awning and recently we bought a Westfield easy air light weight awning which hubby can erect alone whilst I recover from arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder. Mother in law died 7 years ago and sadly my father in law died in April this year just after his 95th birthday we shall continue to drive down to the house there spending much longer on the road now that we have the freedom to do so....my hubby retires in April (at last, I retired several years ago..he's my toy boy, don't ya know) so we expect to winter away down in the south of Spain then.. Wouldn't be without RB now not for all the tea in China :-)

Randa france, , , , and campnsnooze like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I came across Eribas, and not using a tent to much due to the weather, however at a dog event which forced to use the tent again, realised how much I missed it but wanted something to use easy for going to the dogs events and easy to just get up and away at a moments notice. I saw Tabs and started a search for small caravans and came across the Eribas amongst others.

I also looked at small 2 berth WWB's and hated all that they were like soft furnishings, carpets ovens, showers etc, and the more basic I was shown the more I liked it which confused the salesman.

Then when I compared prices on teardrops of varying makes and the Eriba, the Eriba won me over. I also was cycling past a caravan site in Cardiff and admired one on site from the 80's or early 90's and the couple invited me to look in and said to select carefully as some models have long beds and others go across the van.

I researched various years, models and looked at new at the NEC. For me the new ones were getting to close to WWB's and I wanted a simple basic classic Eriba and the earliest I would take was between 1999 to 2008. I went to Norfolk looked at some models and the 420GT worked for me. It came at the right time as I had a major bereavement with my Mother after approx 12 years of bad luck health wise myself and as I had saved money in bonds after a car accident decided that I may as well use it and enjoy (rather than a rainy day! savings that was doing nothing). I do have regrets, the one being I didn't do this sooner to be able to enjoy it with the person no longer here who always wanted to own a caravan herself and even had a name for her imaginary WWB. She would have loved the Eriba!

, campnsnooze and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:10 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Are my eyes playing tricks, Roger, or has the silver Eriba in the picture you posted had a nasty accident sometime in its short life?

If it came from the factory looking like that then something is seriously wrong with Hymer's quality control.

f12t231059p25165n3_WyKimNCE.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Brand new I'm led to believe.
Randa

Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 pm
by crow (deleted)

I watched a 4 x 4 towing a caravan approach a bend very much faster than
the British caravans I had seen, it went around as if it were on rails and that
classic shape to rival Sophia Loren (I could not afford her so made do
with the Eriba)
It has such an art deco appeal so I bought a Puck L 230GT probably the
best looking of the Eriba Tourings.

Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #12
Brand new I'm led to believe.
Randa

It looks more like it has had a bit of an accident, if not we will have to call it the Bad Waldsee wave instead of the Cernay wave.....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:00 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #11
Are my eyes playing tricks, Roger, or has the silver Eriba in the picture you posted had a nasty accident sometime in its short life?

If it came from the factory looking like that then something is seriously wrong with Hymer's quality control.

It looks awful, even allowing for the very oblique sunlight. More like a hot water tank jacket than a twenty grand caravan.

I don't think I'd have accepted it like that. There's no way you'd drive off in a new car costing that much in a similar state.

It's a shame.

R5n4-02f LdW17-h ncJ-515
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105611 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6