RE: Hello and electric help please!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Fuses ????

And if all else fails, contacting Scheiber might throw some light on the problem. http://www.scheiber.com/contact-en/?lang=en

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:05 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #16
Fuses ????

Under the cover to the right of the trip switch though in all honesty I think they only cover the internal circuits so probably not relevant to the mains not working.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:12 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Mine also looks like the same, and I found that once when turned up on site and EHU nothing worked? faffed about with scratching head then asked a man on site. He asked if the trip was checked. When I looked under the bench I had when getting something out to set up had inadvertently hit the switches off. soon as it was turned on, voila, we had power.

Last edited Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:13 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Sorry, I don't wish to muddy the waters of this thread as I don't know enough about it but does it sound a bit like the problem Andrew and Chris had last October? Electrics - help!? 😤

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:25 pm
by Mike_ternary (deleted)

Ah ha! Mine is just like that one. Is this the only trip switch in the system in yours? How do you charge your battery if the BIP doesn't do it?

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:30 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Mike_ternary wrote in post #20
Ah ha! Mine is just like that one. Is this the only trip switch in the system in yours? How do you charge your battery if the BIP doesn't do it?

It is the only trip switch I don't have a battery, I would suggest if that is all you have there is no charging facility and your idea regarding a ctec is probably the way to go, be sure to get one big enough to charge your battery some are too small for a caravan battery.

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:59 pm

OK thanks for that confirmation, one mystery solved at least. I can focus on the mains problem and just charge the battery in the garage

2008 Troll 555GT, Skoda Yeti 4x4
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 pm
by hob (deleted)

once you get the mains sorted you can put the ctec under the seat next to the bip and charge up anywhere from a nearby socket even away on a site.

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #23
once you get the mains sorted you can put the ctec under the seat next to the bip and charge up anywhere from a nearby socket even away on a site.
That's exactly what I had to do when I found that the BIP wasn't charging our battery while on our first trip with the Eriba in the South of France.

It worked well and allowed us to use the mover for the rest of the holiday.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Ctek charger arrived and I've attached to the battery (in the garage)... selected recon mode and hoping it will still charge.... trying to sort whats wrong with the main will have to wait till the weekend... I'll start again at the trip switch in the house and work my way down the line.... will keep you posted!

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 pm

A quick update - I had the battery on charge for several days on the Ctek charger - which failed to get beyond early stages, so I think I have dead battery :-(. Also I have discovered that the Schaudt LA1210 unit I have in the van is actually a mains charger, and should have been charging the battery when on hook-up... so now I have two chargers! I tried to check why there's no mains getting into the van, and checked (with a multimeter) mains on the hookup cable as far as the point where it goes into the van, but is dead from that point in. Hopefully I'll have a bit of time this weekend to take the cover off the BIP/socket from outside and see where the power is getting to. All a bit frustrating. I found a manual for the LA1210 - but its in German and doesn;t contain a wiring diagram so not sure if there's a fuse inside without taking that apart as well. I read on a website somewhere that the most common cause of charger failures is a faulty battery.... maybe that is te source of my woes...

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:46 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Mike_ternary wrote in post #26
...so I think I have dead battery.
What's the battery's off-charge voltage, Mike?

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello there - I only have an analog multimeter at the mo, so a bit hard to tell with any accuracy... I have a couple of dirt cheap digital voltmeters winging their way to be from the world of eBay, so when they arrive I hope to be able to find out a bit more about whats happening with the thing. Will keep you posted. I've seen other posts which tell me that if it less than 12v then its fully discharged, and if I can;t get it to rise above that when its been on charge for a day or so, then I'll give it a decent funeral and find a new one.

Thanks for your help and support - much appreciated!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 pm
by hob (deleted)

It sounds like the mains may be terminal so way beyond my help however the more intrepid members have boldly gone where I would need an expert.

Complete new Electrical System in 1998 Familia

Or

How to: Modernise Old-fashioned BIP Electrics

Good luck

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:24 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Mike_ternary wrote in post #28
Hello there - I only have an analog multimeter at the mo, so a bit hard to tell with any accuracy... I have a couple of dirt cheap digital voltmeters winging their way to be from the world of eBay, so when they arrive I hope to be able to find out a bit more about whats happening with the thing.
If it were me I'd spend a tenner or so on something like this before doing anything else. Digital voltmeters are fine for monitoring things when they're working, but I reckon you need a half decent digital multimeter to help you find out why they aren't.

If your battery isn't holding (or taking) any charge at all, to all intents and purposes it's buggered and I don't think there's any point struggling with it.

Seems the first thing to do is find out why the Schaudt unit isn't getting 230v. You can do that with a multimeter, beginning with a series of circuit continuity checks which don't require anything to be live.

Keep us posted.

Incidentally, what type of battery is it? Is it a bog standard wet lead acid or something different?

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:29 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1