Hello and electric help please!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:40 pm
by Mike_ternary (deleted)

Very pleased to have found your forum and hopefully lots of help.
We bought a second hand (2008) Troll 555GT from AL last May and had a great 3 weeks in France last August. Sadly that was all we could manage last year, and so I put 'Doris' to bed for the winter, checking for damp/mice etc every now and then when the weather was good.
Then, a couple of weeks ago, I had a look inside, checked that the lights were still working... and nope. We didn't keep it hooked up to the mains as its a long way from teh nearest socket, but I'd been meaning to do something about that, so had a socket installed close by, plugged it in and thought I'd let the battery charge up. We have a mover on it which is essential to get it in and out the back gate, so some power is a good idea.
Well, a week later I thought I'd see how we were doing, and found; no 12v lights and indeed no 240v power either!. It had been pouring with rain the week prreviously and I did find that water had been running down the mains lead into the blue hookup lead joining thing. But the fuse on the hookup plug into mains socket was ok, i dried out the joining thing, checked that the trip switch was in 'up' position and ... nothing!
I also looked in the manual and it seems that I have a 'Power Pack' (is this a BIP?) but not an 'SE' version and the book suggests this doesn;t have a battery charger included... is this right?? seems very weird to have mover and no battery charger! anyway I've ordered a CTK charger in the hope that I haven't killed the battery...
Does any of this sound familiar, or is it just me :-(
Is there some other fuse/trip that I need to re-set?
Is it really true that the 'Power Pack doesn't charge the battery from the mains (only the car trickle charger via another little box)
I had a look through the posts but couldn't spot anything quite like my woes...
Sorry to whinge on the first post, but I'm very confused
thanks

Scroll up

RE: Hello and electric help please!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:56 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
Well, a week later I thought I'd see how we were doing, and found; no 12v lights and indeed no 240v power either!.

With or without a battery you should have power when hooked up to the mains.

1 check the trip switch in the van

2 plug something else into the power providing socket to check it works

3 check the hookup cable for faults

Can't really help battery wise as my van does not have one

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:33 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Not technically minded at all but there are several experts on here who will no doubt be along shortly.
Hope you get it sorted.

Awaiting Triton 420GT to push Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks for the responses, I will pop back here in a while, and brace myself for a weekend of scrabbling about in the locker while scratching my head....

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:14 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

When youspent 3 weeks in France did you use a hookup for mains power?

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:15 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Mike_ternary wrote in post #4
Thanks for the responses, I will pop back here in a while, and brace myself for a weekend of scrabbling about in the locker while scratching my head....
Can you post a photo of your set-up including the BIP, Mike?

Our 2008 Troll doesn't have a standard-fit charger either (i.e. the non-Power Pack SE version). It had one put in later before we bought it, though a C-Tek will certainly do the job and wiring one in semi-permanently would be a doddle. Ours is a bloody great Waeco unit about the size of a breeze block.

I'm intrigued by the fact that despite yours being a non-Power Pack as well it appears to have a booster (presumably a Schaudt like this) to charge the battery when in transit. We make do without one of those on ours, though I did retrofit one to a previous Eriba a few years ago.

With a bit of luck I might be able to help.

Cheers

Pete

yy-R56kh

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:18 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello there - yes all was fine in France - everything worked fine - mains sockets/outside light and 12v lights, and the battery had enough charge in to get us in the back gate on the mover when we got home again... and also when I first plugged her into the mains a couple of weeks ago, the mains and 12v all worked then too.... it's just been since I left it for a week, during heavy rain, that its all gone horribly wrong.
I was using european hookup rather than the UK one I bought for home, but other than that I can't think of anything different in the set-up.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:30 pm
by hob (deleted)

Did you check the things I listed earlier?

Also if you had an outside socket fitted they presumably installed a trip or circuit breaker for it somewhere maybe if water got in during the rain that was tripped and needs resetting?

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:33 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

probably daft idea here but could the hookup cable be wired the wrong way, works in france but not uk
do you have a mains switch in wardrobe area, remember a gentleman having issues not being able to switch the power off. that was on the first run of bad walsee built eribas
the French built ones were different set up

be aware the battery may be too low in charge to charge from any charger,

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Hello - mine is just like the one in the manual.... and looks like the top one in the picture (Fig 58) (which I hope I've uploaded).
The other little box is a Schaudt, but doesn't look like yours - sort of smaller and flatter. I will try and find a moment tomorrow to sneak away from the grindstone and see if I can spot a model number. To be honest I'm really not sure if I know whether this transit charger was working or not... it might have been that the new battery just kept enough charge for the 3 weeks, with quite a number of mover moves tho which I would be quite impressed with.
Hope that helps a bit?
grateful for anything you can suggest

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 BIP.jpg 

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

try lighting the gas fire and warming the eriba up open a window on vent in case of steam, allow air into area of bip box thingy( sounds like a style of music hehehehe),
perhaps that may help / or not, but you be toasty..
am sure others can pin point much better then me

was going to say tighten all connections in the bip box thingy or wiggle wires

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm
by hob (deleted)

Battery testing from an old topic

Zitat
Leisure Batteries.

The condition of a 12V battery can be measured with a volt meter preferably with a digital one as they are more accurate a multimeter will do this job and I found this on the web

Battery voltage indications:

12.7 Volts or more = 100% charged
12.5 Volts = 75%
12.4 Volts = 50%
12.2 Volts = 25%
12 Volts or less = Discharged

That should give some indication of charge level

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:36 pm

I checked the outside socket by plugging in a lamp and that was OK, I am presuming the trip switch in the van is the one on the BIP? (although someone else mentioned one in a wardrobe which I haven;t searched for yet (its dark!)) if there's only the one on the BIP, then yes I checked that was up, and just to be sure, tried it down as well. There is a circuit breaker for the outside socket in the house, but since the lamp into the socket worked I didn;t bother to check that. I haven;t checked the hookup cable for faults, I will try the other cable at the weekend and see if that makes a difference.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:43 pm
by hob (deleted)

Sounds like it has to be the cable then,

However you seek to charge the battery unless you remove it from the van you will need to get the hookup working

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:46 pm
by hob (deleted)

My non charging unit (circa 2006) looks like this with the trip switch arrowed

P1300561.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Have you checked the fuses on the unit?

Forum moderator

Last edited Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:47 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0