A Bar Cover

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:57 am
by ALAN JONES (deleted)

Hi All, i have an Eriba Familia which has the normal plastic A bar cover which has a couple of splits I presume from someone grabbing it when moving/hitching previously, they are pretty flimsy & I wonder if anyone has made a better stronger alternative or has any great ideas for replacing the plastic version. Thanks

Scroll up

RE: A Bar Cover

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi Alan,
Look in 'Picture Gallery' above and go down to 'Crafty Eribas'...I think what you are talking about is on page 2 and 3. It looks like they are made from oiled tablecloths.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

I think he means the A bar solid grey plastic molded piece not a hitch cover

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Quote: campnsnooze wrote in post #2
Hi Alan,
Look in 'Picture Gallery' above and go down to 'Crafty Eribas'...I think what you are talking about is on page 2 and 3. It looks like they are made from oiled tablecloths.

I think Alan is referring to the plastic "fairing" that streamlines the tow hitch bar. I've done a brief search but can't find anything useful although I am aware that others have made similar comments about the fragility of the cover. We don't have one on ours.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

A new fairing costs about sixty or seventy quid.

I'm pretty sure you'd spend a lot more than that to get a stronger one-off made up in fibreglass, ABS or fabricated out of aluminium, but I can't help thinking it'd be a waste of money - it's just a cosmetic thing after all, not intended to be stood or tugged on.

It'd be possible to get it repaired by a car body shop, but I doubt that a car body shop would weld the ABS and respray it for sixty-odd quid. You can fix cracks and splits in ABS yourself if you're handy, but if you've never attempted anything like that before there will come a point where you've spent so long faffing around with it that it'll have cost you way more than sixty quid's worth of your own time.

If the aesthetics don't bother you, take it off. If they do, I reckon a new one is by far the most cost-effective option.

yy-R56kh

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:11 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I bought a new one recently from Jandi. It was about £65 but as it was for a Troll there may be a price difference.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:16 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

new ones come in black but order / buy from your nearest local eriba or hymer dealer, afraid one wasted time then announce wont order due to cost of postage.. supporting the eriba dealers is not easy, with that reason.. we moved on..

other fairings need repainting over time the top clear coat paint lifts causing a blister in paint, plastic ok.
would repaint, the wheel arches, rear lights surround, number plate surround, front fairing, front light extensions and hand brake fairings at same time.. so all matches.

someone stuck a piece of plastic under fairing then added filler to top, probably was ok when done but now looks horrid..

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 pm
by buzzlightyears2 (deleted)

How can I remove the rest of this flaking on the cover without scratching the grey plastic underneath

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_8650.JPG 

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I'm not sure if you can effectively. I'd be tempted to drill out the pop rivets, put it on a bench and lightly sand down before a respray.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks, Colin might do that hate a bad job

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 31, 2020 8:45 pm

I ask about removing flaking Jell off towbar plastic cover, Decide to just get the bad bits off & repair with very strong Gorilla Tape in is thicker than some makes took my time as we are going nowhere. It is that strong first piece I put on was not quite right taking it off it pulled the flaking jell off too. IMG_8665.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_8666.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 31, 2020 10:55 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Try nitromors paint remover but do it on a small section first just in case it reacts with the plastic it will remove the paint. To strengthen the plastic I laid up some fibreglass and resin which you can buy from any motor factors and if you hunt through their spray can section you can find a really good match. I do have the paint code for my 2015 Troll and if yours is the same I’ll gladly forward

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3