Kampa Pop Air

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

We've now had chance to give the Kampa awning a good test during our France trip. We put it up 4 times in total over the 2 1/2 weeks we were away.
The first time took us around 45 minutes. Probably not bad as we had no idea on the best way. The second attempt probably took around 20 minutes as we figured out a better way. This involved removing the front panel as we found the awning too heavy to pull through the awning rail and kept jamming.
This also makes it much easier to pack away after too.
One problem we had was when it rained water poured in through the awning rail bead. This seems too small to fill the channel so rainwater comes through. The optional rain channel is a must. Not something we needed on our Walker awning.
There's also no adjustment for uneven ground so I made some blocks to fit under the air beam pads. Other than that the quality and fit is very good.
The window blinds are fastened with velcro apart from the mesh panel blind which is zipped. They fold down into neat pouches sewn into the awning.

Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of buying one
kampa1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)kampa2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
kampa3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)kampa4.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)kampa5.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
, , Pepé Le Pew, PhilipM, , Poptop320, , , Magpie, , highmiler, , , , , , , , cruickie, , and like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Kampa Pop Air

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 pm
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Thanks Martin.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:27 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 am
by kevandnia (deleted)

Excellent! Very tempted to purchase one at the Motorhome and Caravan show next month.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:01 am
by Trollier (deleted)

Thanks for this helpful post. I was looking at a similar awning. Which would you now prefer the Walker or Kampa?

Stephen

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:26 am
by Citroeriba (deleted)

Thanks for the update. Do the sides zip completely out? Or do the windows just open down to the mesh panel, or including the mesh panel?
John

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:22 pm
by Bigmandiddyvan (deleted)

Thanks for the info, just one thing you say you made "blocks" to fit under the tubes to compensate for uneven ground, what did you make them out of and did you just choose a height that would do the job? Brian.

Last edited Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:22 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:36 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Stephen, it's difficult to say I prefer either the Walker or Kampa as they both have positive and negatives. The negatives of the Kampa are the inability to level properly, it's a little awkward to pull through the awning rail as the beading is a little bit small so tends to jam. This also leads to water ingress through the rail.
The Walker feels more substantial and the poles give somewhere to hang things from but takes longer to erect.
The Kampa folds away smaller so fits in the car easier.

John, The sides do not zip out, only the front but that's fine for us. The windows do not open, just blinds that fold down although there is 1 large mesh window for ventilation.

Brian, I made some circular blocks from MDF. A few blocks of 130mm dia x 18 mm thick will give enough variation. I inflated and pegged down loosely before sliding blocks under the air beam pads to level.

Hope this helps
Martin

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:38 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:38 pm
by newbie (deleted)

Can I ask where you bought it from?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Chezmart [Martin] got his by "special arrangement". If you are looking at one for a Triton, do a little bit of internet searching, phone a few dealers, you can get an advance order on one for £800, instead of the rrp of £1000
I did manage to get one dealer down to £855 including groundsheet, tie down straps and the awning rail trim, but did not proceed as I have managed a deal on on with my new van.

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:50 pm
by newbie (deleted)

Thank you, Colin. We have a Puck L. We inherited an awning but it is not ideal.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:27 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Me too, as for not happy with the one we got as part of 2nd hand van deal. We rarely use it these days as it's a bugger to put up. Carole not in agreement with selling it and buying a new one like the inflateables, can't understand why - they seem much easier to erect..

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:14 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Nice video showing the Kampa pro air awning being erected

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:01 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Phew - the emergency pilot is OK after all...............!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQfZYacEAw

Lonely Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:36 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Easier to just get an electric pump avoid all that awful wheezing!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Only problem is if you did decide to buy the Kampa pump you would another £70 hole down.

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12517 topics and 105608 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6