RE: Cover

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:59 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

The link below has all the fitted winter cover details

Fitted winter covers

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:36 am
by MiniKay (deleted)

We've had our Protec since Christmas 2010 and have used it for our Puck each winter since then. When we took it off in about May this year we noticed it was beginning to go brittle and a few holes appearing. We've just done some patching up on about five holes as Aaron described above, and it's back on. It's so simple to get on and off with the poles provided with it. It should last fine for this winter, maybe we might need to think about getting another one next year, we'll see.

I'd definitely recommend them. The caravan is always as dry as a bone inside, no condensation problems or anything with it. It is so easy to get in and out with the door in the cover, you always find you need to get in there to get out something you've forgotten, to put something in it for winter storage, or even to show interested visitors inside, as they look so cute and cuddly in their jim-jams :)

1981 Puck pulled by 1968 Mini
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:57 am
by Tom T (deleted)

Hello -

So would we be able to just order a regular Puck, Puck L or Puck 120 Pro-tec cover for our 1970 Puck (USA Export Model) & have it fit properly?

Those modern Pucks seem to be about the size of the 1960s-70's Familia, so I'd presume that there would be slack in the cover.

Does anyone know if Pro-tec or any others still make covers for the 1950s-70s Pucks?

Specialized Covers just cancelled my online order, saying that they don't have a pattern for a 1970 Puck nor any older Pucks - which is odd because I know of a couple of USA Puck owners over here in the States who bought their covers from S.C.!?

FYI - Here's our intro post with a pic of our original owner `88 VW Westy (T25) with "new to us" `70 Puck in tow - I know, it's sorta "Repeditively Redundant" to have 2 campers! LOL

New Pucksters From Across the Pond & Cover Availability?

TA for any help!

Cheers!
Tom
///////

1970 Puck USA Export Model + 1988 VW Westfalia T3 (OO, aka T25)

Last edited Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

We got the an AL cover with our Triton, but at the first attempt at putting it on found it almost impossible. Our drive is fairly tight between 2 houses, If we have it so we can shuffle down each side, we cant then open the door. or get ladders up to fit the cover. We also need to move the van to get our other car out of the garage. Think this cover may be relegated to the garage. I like the look of Randa's earlier post with the curtain fitted to the awning rail and a cap over the top. I may dig out the sewing machine and try to replicate this with our cover.

Triton 420 towed by Volvo S40 drive
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:28 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

I've just fitted the AL cover that came with our Triton. It kind of fits, but I would describe it as 'only just tailored'. It was really tough to get on, especially getting the zipped section into the right place for door access. I wondered if they had supplied the one for a pre-2010 Triton at first, because the door flap didn't clear the top of the door. It just needed a little more manhandling.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:03 pm
by Tom T (deleted)

How does the AL cover compare with the Pro-tec for quality?

We also have a tight driveway where it goes past the house, but more so for the bigger 1960 Avion T20 beyond the Puckster in the pic below -

20181027_105907.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Cheers!
Tom
///////

1970 Puck USA Export Model + 1988 VW Westfalia T3 (OO, T25)
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:34 pm
by Chris_and_dogs (deleted)

Just received the Kampa Eriba cover, from Norwich Camping. First impressions are that it is a lot lighter, and more compact, than the Pro-tec that I had for my oldie Puck. (This is for a Triton). It was, however, £125, as opposed to over £300 for a Pro-Tec, even with a discount.
I doubt that it will last as long, but we will see.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Once it was on the overall fit was ok but I felt it was a bit baggy around the roof. The door opening seemed to be a bit too far back and like yours was too low but loose enough to shift out of the way to open the door. I also managed to tear it at the front whilst strapping round the gas locker. I think it is too tight for the straps to go underneath the draw bar although I didn't try too hard after tearing it.

There were a couple of items in the bag that I am not sure what they are for. 1, a piece of awning edging sewn to 4 small pieces of awning material, and 2 a bag with a squared off end. Could be to store the straps but seemed too complex for that. Too small to be a chimney cover. ???

The main thing wrong about the Automotive Leisure cover though is that it proudly states it is 100% polypropylene. Sounds wonderful but PP has poor UV resistance making it unsuitable for applications with long term exposure to the sunlight. This would appear to be a particularly poor choice for a caravan cover!
Should really be Nylon or Polyester which both have good UV characteristics.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:01 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I would avoid the Automotive Leisure cover as it is made of polypropylene - not very resistant to UV. Won't last long in California.

sorry should have been attached to post #21

Last edited Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 am
by Tom T (deleted)

Thanx for the advice on the AL cover Steve.

I'm still on the hunt for something either here or from the UK.

I may check if I can schedule a pick-up from Pro-tec UK with my UPS business account over here.

Otherwise I look further into seeing if CoverKing can laser scan our Puck & make an all season cover (they're plant is a few miles away from us), but it's Veterans Day over here today (Monday 11/12) & they're closed (similar to your Poppy Day remembrances).

Otherwise, there are some cover makers over here which make them for a bit larger domestic 10-15 foot fiberglass trailers such as Casita, Burro, etc. - which will be a bit large for the Lil' Pucker, but would probably serve the purpose & the extra size may give room to also cover the LP tank & tongue jack (I think that maybe you call the latter a "Maypole" over there?).

This pic of ours with our `88 Westy (T25) shows how the LP Tank is outside on the tongue spar on the USA Export Model of the 1960s - 70s, plus it has the optional hollow square tube rear bumper with spare tire mounted above on the back wall, both of which can be seen in profile (my wife's head is removable from the Puck, so doesn't need to fit under the cover! ;-):

20181027_100021 (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Last edited Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:25 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:13 pm
by Tom T (deleted)

Hi All -

Well, it turns out that all of the UK made/sold Pro-tec, Automotive Leisure, Specialized Covers, & Kampa Eriba/Puck Caravan Covers are made from polypropylene materials - which are just not durable in the hotter & sunnier Mediterranean Climates over there, nor here in the USA Southwest & SoCal - even when UV stabilized. And note that Pro-tec voids their 3 year warranty for use anywhere outside of the UK, as may AL, SC & Kampa also.

I've never had even a "UV stabilized" polypropylene car cover last more than about a year before it starts falling apart from the sun/UV/ozone - so it makes no sense for anyone here in the USA to get a fitted Puck cover in the UK, as it would be money down the Loo!

I'm exploring other USA cover manufacturer options here in the USA, & may be able to take our 1970 Puck over to CoverKing a few miles away, where they can digitally scan the Puck, enter it into their Trailer Covers database, & then will be able to make any of their covers from that pattern.

FYI for types of CoverKing Covers - note bottom 2-3 top end ones, which I believe would also be available in their Trailer/Caravan & RV covers too:
https://www.coverking.com/view-custom-car-covers

The top level all weather covers from the major manufacturers here in the USA tend to have 4 & 5 year warranties, & those warranties are typically not voided outside of the USA as far as I know, but the shipping costs may be more.

I've had USA's Wolf, Covercraft & CoverKing covers reliably last for 5 - 8+ years here - with sun, UV, Ozone, rain, & Santa Ana winds of 70-100+ mph attempting to wear them out.

FYI - I will update this topic & the other "Fitted Winter Covers" topic with any USA options that I can find, which may be more durable than are those currently in the UK.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It might be a complete disaster but I have just started chopping up my AL cover for our Triton 420 with the aim of fitting separate panels to the front, rear and sides attached to the awning rail, with a cap on top. Guess that is my warranty blown now (if it ever had one).
Will post some pictures of the progress as and when there is any (or of me getting chewed out for messing it up) whichever comes first! Fortunately it is my sewing machine.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Kampa Eriba Caravan Cover.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Kampa Eriba Caravan Cover

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:25 am
by Jez (deleted)

We have a protec cover on our triton and have been very happy with it however we needed to move the van a couple of days ago and were surprised to find that the roof was soaking wet.
The cover is fairly new and I can't find any leak points so am now concerned that I'm doing the right thing by covering it, when I dried the roof with a chamois leather it made the rinse water a milky colour indicating to me that the paint coating was coming off of the pop top and that the water had sat there for a while so I wondered if anyone else has had this experience?

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi

Last edited Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:27 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Our Protec Cover is in it's 9th year now and is looking a bit moth eaten (actually it's mouse eaten ) but is still going strong.

However, we have noticed over the past few years that when we remove it, it leaves a greyish greenish camouflage stain on the roof which washes off easily without any noticable damage to the roof colour.

The inside of the cover all around the sides is fine but the roof is looking a bit greenish which would perhaps suggest that it's losing its weatherproofing?

We do cut and polish our roof quite regularly however, at least once every two years so perhaps that it protecting it well? Check out the information regarding Autoglym and Carnauba Wax polish on various threads throughout the forum.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:29 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4