Automatic

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:06 pm
by hob (deleted)

Anyone tow with an automatic? I am looking at something like a Vauhall Zafira Elite 1.9 CDTI Auto Turbo Diesel
To maybe replace the truck now I don't do the engines any more.
What tow car says it should be OK

http://www.towcar.info/index.php

Time flies like an arrow...................fruit flies like a banana
likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Automatic

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:31 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Love towing in auto mode!
No reversing problems. Easy hill starts. Creeping in traffic.
Effortless.
Go for it.

Stercus accidit!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:55 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Apart from the period when I ran aTransit campervan, then an Adria, Ducato based, motorhome as my daily driver, I've used auto cars since 1989. When I went back to manual on the Transit there was an audible click from my left knee every time I depressed the clutch pedal and I've had slight issues with that knee ever since. I don't know if it was going back to a manual that caused the knee probs, or whether it was just a coincidence.

Having used autos for so long I've developed a liking for the 'normal' torque converter boxes, as opposed to the robotised autos that some makers fit which are basically a manual gearbox with an automatic clutch and shifter bolted on. In my experience such boxes are v hard to live with as give a very jerky ride. CVT boxes seem to have come a long way since the days of DAF cars and seem pretty good these days as do the DSG boxes that VW and Ford use. However DSGs have had some technical issues, especially the ones used by VW.

If you want to learn a lot about automatics I suggest a search on Caravan Talk for posts by 'Logic Lee' who is an expert on gearboxes.

EDIT be careful on Zafiras because there's an awful lot of posts on CT about certain models having v low tow limits, especially the automatics.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:57 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:12 pm
by hob (deleted)

This is from what towcar.info website

Check data

Car make and model Opel Zafira II - 1.9 CDTi aut.
Year of issue july 2005 - september 2011
Power 118 bhp (88 kW) at 3500 rpm
Torque 207 lb/ft (280 Nm) at (or from) 2000 rpm
Kerbweight (may differ in the UK) 1668 kg and 'ballasted' with 150 kg
Tyres 205 / 55 R 16
Transmission Automatic with torque converter (6 speed)
Caravan Eriba Touring Triton 430
Actual laden caravan weight 1000 kg (car towing limit is 1400 kg)
The airflow is: very good (height = 2.26 m and width = 2.00 m)
Gross Train weight (car+caravan) 2818 kg

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:49 pm
by hob (deleted)

Went for a look at the Zafira today...................total waste of time, stood on the forecourt for over 1\2 hour ...............no-one in sight anywhere the car was nowhere to be seen either

Called in at my local dealers on the way back for a chat, said about the Zafira and also might like a Vauxhalll Insignia so he is having a look for me, they will take my old truck in part exchange too

something like this

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:56 am
by Unhitched (deleted)

Automatics every time for me as we go to the South of France most years and it takes some of the stress out of driving on the ' wrong' side!

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba to also be hitched to...
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Isn't the Opel called the Opel Dienstgradabzeichen in Germany?

Catchy ain't it

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #7
Isn't the Opel called the Opel Dienstgradabzeichen in Germany?

Nope - can't find any mention of it on the Opel.de website. http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/modelle.html . Have you been watering down the Lemonade again?

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Google Translate tells me that's German for Insignia.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Google Translate tells me that's German for Insignia. Though it didn't have a translation for Zafira, probably not enough room on a page for the German version

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:08 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #10
Though it didn't have a translation for Zafira, probably not enough room on a page for the German version

Look a bit strange on the boot lid wouldn't it - especially as it wraps round to the two rear doors as well?

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:27 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Hi Nev. How are you getting on with your search for a tow car?

Have you thought of something like a Ford Focus (C Max or Estate)? We used to tow our 1000kg Troll with a Mk2 Focus Estate, 1.6TDi 90bhp and it towed it fine giving us about 38mpg towing (55mpg solo). Loads of boot space and the only reason we changed it was that we needed more headroom.
I know Rodders tows his Troll with a Focus, g22p237-quot-Pepe-La-Pew-quot-quot-Crow-quot.html
and Tony Frantone uses a Galaxy automatic. I think Hampshireman also uses a C Max although he's only towing a Puck L.
R

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:42 am

I was researching tugs the other day and noticed that the auto Cmax 2 litre has a 1600kg towing limit which is excellent for such a relatively small car. Ford only produce the auto version in 2 litre form, but some of the smaller engined manuals have fairly big limits too

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:06 pm
by hob (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Zitat
Hi Nev. How are you getting on with your search for a tow car?

Just ordered a 2010 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0T 16V SRi 5dr Diesel Manual in black paint
it should be here late next week then have a 13 pin towbar fitted before I collect it, the truck will go on the same day.

It will be the same as this one only black.

Werbung: Insignia SRI diesel

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:57 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

gosh that's lovely, congratulations

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1