Towing a Puck with aFiat 500?

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm
by Herby (deleted)

So, I drive a Fiat 500 1.2 and my OH has a 2 litre Altea. When I first mooted buying a Puck he was happy to have a tow bar fitted to the Altea for towing. Now he says he would rather it was fitted to the Fiat. I've seen pics of a Pucks being towed by small cars, but just wanted to ask if anyone on here has experience of this?

Scroll up

RE: Towing a Puck with aFiat 500?

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:28 pm
by hob (deleted)

I would check the cars handbook to see if it mentions towing weight limits and any other towing related information.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Hi Herby. I've just put your 1.2 litre Chincochento and a Puck 120 into http://www.whattowcar.com/ and it seems to match up OK.
Check it for yourself. Just follow the instructions on the website. As you say, there are many images of old Minis and 2CV's towing elderly Pucks.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:22 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Well my OH also drives a Fiat 500 1.2 8V and a very nice little car it is too although I personally wouldn't want one. A couple of points here - the first related to your question in a roundabout way, the second somewhat OT.

Whilst the return from whattowcar might give a positive result I myself wouldn't even consider towing a van - any van - with this vehicle. Whichever way we leave our house we are faced with an uphill climb. They are gentle climbs that wouldn't really tax ones breath when walking but they are long. With the Fiat 500 1.2 8V you're struggling after a while as it simply runs out of puff and you're up and down the gearbox as though your life depended on it. You know it's going to make it but with cars and trucks following it can get quite embarrassing to say the least. I perish the thought of what it would be like with a van on the back even if loaded with the minimum of essentials and that's not to mention having stuff packed in the car. The 'user payload' of your car will be around the 150kg mark taking into account the Kerbweight which takes into consideration the vehicles tank being 90% full, all necessary fluids, 68kg driver weight and 7kg luggage. So, from your 150kg user payload you'll have to subtract the weight of the passenger, any additional luggage above the 7kg allowed for and and and. In the end you're not left with much of a user payload to pack much else in. It's your choice and decision of course but as the owner of this car I feel sure that you can sympathise with the comments regarding the car..

The second point, somewhat OT, is to have the car serviced at the prescribed intervals and if the brakes start to feel funny or make a noise, get the car to a workshop asap. My wife telephoned me from work one day and said that she had a feeling that there was a problem with the exhaust because the car was making a strange sound. On getting to where she'd parked her car I drove it a couple of times around the car park without being able to detect any noise but after having done this a few time and having applied the brakes several times, I noticed that what she was hearing was coming from the brakes. When the brakes were cold there was no noise but after several stops with the discs getting hot there was a noticeable scraping sound. As it was, we'd decided to exchange the car and the replacement was for picking up 3 days later so we lived with it. Needless to say, 3 days later we had no brakes at all and the dealer told us later that both pads and discs had gone completely on both sides. And this was on a vehicle with only 40K on the clock, being used daily cross country so very little traffic and not much brake use. Having now lived through that experience there is no way I would think of towing a van where the forces placed on the brakes are considerably more. It's only my opinion of course, but I don't consider the Fiat 500 1.2 8V brakes to be up to the job of towing.

By the way, I have actually seen a Fiat 500 towing a Puck but it was of the Twinair and Dualogic gearbox variety.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #4
Well my OH also drives a Fiat 500 1.2 8V and a very nice little car it is too although I personally wouldn't want one. A couple of points here - the first related to your question in a roundabout way, the second somewhat OT.
Whilst the return from whattowcar might give a positive result I myself wouldn't even consider towing a van - any van - with this vehicle. Whichever way we leave our house we are faced with an uphill climb. They are gentle climbs that wouldn't really tax ones breath when walking but they are long. With the Fiat 500 1.2 8V you're struggling after a while as it simply runs out of puff and you're up and down the gearbox as though your life depended on it. You know it's going to make it but with cars and trucks following it can get quite embarrassing to say the least. I perish the thought of what it would be like with a van on the back even if loaded with the minimum of essentials and that's not to mention having stuff packed in the car. It's your choice and decision of course but as the owner of this car I feel sure that you can sympathise with what I've said above.

I'd be inclined to agree with most of this. Mrs Pete has a 1.2 8v as well, and I wouldn't want to tow with it either.

It's a runabout. That's pretty much all it is. And it's very good as a runabout.

The engine is pretty gutless, and there's barely enough torque to pull the skin off a rice pudding never mind pull a small caravan. It needs to be revved quite hard to go even moderately quickly despite weighing about as much as an empty cornflake packet.

Despite this it's a proper hoot to drive; it handles like a roller skate and you can park it almost anywhere.

But it isn't a tow car.

We're a bit spoiled in having a big V6 diesel with three times the power, four times the torque and twice as many driven wheels to tow the van with, and given the choice between towing with a cute little runabout that'd look ever so smart in front of a pretty little caravan and a two-tonne lump of Vorsprung durch Technik with dreadful fuel consumption and the looks of an East German shotputter, I'd go big every single time.

In other words, if you've got the choice of towing with a big car or a little one, looks not withstanding, leave the little one at home.

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:11 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

which size 500?
am not sure if the smallest 500 was passed to be able to tow..

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:22 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

The least powerful model (of the present incarnation) is the 1.2 8v, and that has a braked capacity of 800 Kg.

I think you'd have trouble finding more than a handful of first generation Cinquecentos that weren't either terminally broken or had turned into piles of rust years ago.

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:22 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:21 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Hehehe rusted away eh this link could be interesting, but not exactly the answer to the op sorry..

forgot to add that the 126 could tow a little caravan, the name escapes me which it was, but seen pictures it was the one made out of fibreglass with little door with push up roof (memory has taken a holiday will update when remember)

Last edited Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:29 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:40 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I don't think my old 1953 500C Topolino would've pulled anything http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_500_%22Topolino%22 Mine was just like the 1952 one pictured on the Wiki page but mine was in a shade of pale green with beige interior.

I notice that the 0.9 litre current 500 can actually pull 30kg more than all the others including the 1.4 litre.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:14 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Thank you, everyone, for all your comments, I really appreciate them. You've all confirmed my own thoughts. Whilst I know you could tow a Puck with a Fiat 500, whether you should, especially if there's a better and safer alternative, is another question.

I love my Fiat, but if I have adult passengers aboard I know it when we get to a big hill. Hoping he's just having a bit of a grump. The safety thing is really important, so I shall emphasise that.

Thanks again folks :-)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Forgot to mention that when we were at Rookesbury Park CC site last August there was a Puck on site that had been towed there by a fawn Fiat 500. Unfortunately I never saw the owners to have a chat.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

heres the info from the earlier post which has nothing to do with op. but I found it interesting so thought would share.

The Predom Prespol 126 is a caravan made in Poland, designed to be towed by the Polski Fiat 126P, a car smaller than a Smart. The caravan was even sold in Canada, called Taurus Cadet over there

the picture is close to bottom of page

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:39 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Wow, it's cute! What a lot of great cars, too…there's something nice about seeing cars that were the butt of so many jokes being loved at last!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 am
by crow (deleted)

I see these Polish caravans quite often at Damage Barton, one for sale at £250!
at Mullacott caravans Ilfracombe

Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7