Checklist for new Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:24 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

We're picking up our new 540 from AL in a couple of weeks, and I've been reading with some interest about various problems with the new style hinged etc. As a precaution, do members think it's worthwhile applying some wood glue to each screwhole as a matter of course, or would you wait until screws loosen?
Is there a preferred wood glue?

I remember fairly recently that there was also a discussion regarding check/snagging lists for when picking up a new van. I think Mr Eribamotters contributed to the posts, but I can't find them on the forum. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm staying at a campsite near AL for a couple of days after picking the van up, so I thought I could go through the van in some detail.

Cheers Mark

Scroll up

RE: Checklist for new Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I carry a tube of Superglue and a box of matches in the van (together with a tool kit and sundry odds and sods) and whenever I encounter a loose screw, I force glued matchsticks into the hole and when set I trim them flush and refix the screw. It never fails.

If I were in your position, I'd simply enjoy using the van and make a list of any snags encountered during normal use. Any I could deal with myself, such as loose screws, I'd sort out myself only returning the van to the dealer for more serious/expensive repairs.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Poptop320 and PooleDweller like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Markeriba wrote in post #1
As a precaution, do members think it's worthwhile applying some wood glue to each screwhole as a matter of course, or would you wait until screws loosen?

A lot would depend upon how AL would deal with any future guarantee claims in this regard or, if passed on to Hymer, how they would deal with them. Whilst in principle there would be nothing to stop you unscrewing the fixings and applying some would glue this action might raise a few eyebrows at the two above named should any problems arise as concerns the cupboard and door fixings etc should a later claim be made. On the other hand of course, it might well not and so the choice is really yours to make.

On our 2013 Triton there was a recall action that resulted in thin strips of aluminium being inserted along the lower surface of the cupboards into which the hinges were then screwed. It all looked very nice and professional I have to say although at that particular point in time we hadn't experienced anything untoward with any of the fixings. Our 2016 Troll doesn't have this update with the dealer stating that Hymer had improved the wood and hinge quality although outwardly everything appears to be as earlier.

All that said, we do take what we consider to be a sensible approach to the lack of quality issue and never leave overhead cupboard door hang open placing the entire weight upon the hinge. I know this shouldn't be necessary but it's not as though we are living in the van for 6 months of the year resulting in the fronts being opened ten thousand odd times lol. The awning is placed on the floor on non-slip matting which stops the bathroom door from opening.

As an aside although related. We have noticed that when on site with the steadies lowered that the main door doesn't seem to fit very well at the bottom opening corner requiring a bit of a push whilst when parked in our storage on perfectly level ground the door fits the opening as it should. How is this related to the above? Well the same can be said of the bathroom door in that when either of us stands directly in front of the door it is quite difficult to close because the top locating lug doesn't quite line up with the female bracket. Moving slightly to the left or right half a metre or so the door closes perfectly. The conclusion that we have drawn from this is that as a result of the construction method adopted by Hymer; in particular the chassis or lack of, there is a lot of flex in the flooring which results in the mentioned doors not fitting perfectly. By extension, it would not be hard to make the same argument for overhead locker fronts which close perfectly when the van is on a perfectly flat surface but when travelling there is so much flexing of the furniture that this in turns places a considerable strain on the fixings/hinges.

Biljul likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:21 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I haven't had any issues with lose screws or doors dropping off my 2015 Familia. The Familia 320 toilet area is firmly fixed to the kitchen so the toilet door doesn't flex the same as the other models when the dinette is at the front.

I have had some minor things that needed attention, all I did was make the dealer aware as soon as possible and then I got them all fixed at the next service. Below are some of the items I have had replaced under the warranty..

1st year:
Front hitch cover (hairline crack)
bottom front sidelight molding (hairline crack)

2nd year
Two touch lights
Fridge element
Door lock repaired

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Mark,
have a look here:- Touch-operated lights on new vans

My main concerns would be loose screws in overhead locker hinges and poor touch lights.
I would also check the roof gutter built into the the top edge of the awning track. Mine was blocked on onside by mastic and on the other by leave sticking to the mastic. The drain holes in the corners of the gutter were also rough with the burrs from drilling and would not work correctly.

Colin

I have replaced all of the screws into the overhead locker doors with ones that are 5mm longer, with a dab of pva glue. I also found the csk holes in the hinges needed to be made a little bigger as the hinges were binding. This is despite eriba using what appears to be non standard screws. The screws are a 3mm shank, but the head is closer in size to those found on 2.5mm shank screws.

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:29 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Mark.

Could this be the thread you remember reading? It has a check list by Frantone plus some additions by Mr Motters.

New GT Touring Troll 530

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:10 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

I'm trying to persuade this lady to join us on this forum. She is one of our Facebook members and is from Denmark.

Haven't we heard this story before. She bought her van from a Danish Main Dealer.

Quote:-
Need some advice.
I'm the lucky owner of a whole new hymer touring. It's my 2nd hymer caravan, so I'm used to the standard and quality. But unfortunately, my brand new caravan does not live up to my expectations, here are a few examples. Our touchlight flashes at random times - most recently this resulted in some of our campaids thinking we had a fire in the caravan. The sofa / bed is not screwed properly, which means that the outdoor door can not be opened and the bed creaks - thinking it's only a matter of time before it breaks completely. The door of the toilet can not be closed properly, due to the small triangle at the top of the door. Likewise, many of the screws loose in the entire carriage, both in the doors and in the door handle to the toilet. Of other less ingenious solutions are: the bucket around the caravan is very soft and collects dirt and "runs" when it is hot. Similarly, the "dimmers" behind the cushions are black and these are contaminated - especially on a white wall. And then the board constantly jumps out - this was not applicable to the old carriage.
We have been waiting for almost 9 months on this caravan, paid a lot of money for it and no, it does not live up to our expectations. We have vainly attempted to get our dealer to solve the above problems, he points out that Hymer Touring is very hard to get in touch with and believes that we here are talking about small problems ....
Any ideas for what to do???? Best, Diana Borby

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

Thanks for all the posts, and links I asked for.
I've looked through them an come up with a specific list for my 540:-

Checklist for Troll 540

See and inspect the van before agreeing the payment.
Carefully and slowly look at everything.

External:-
Check all panels for blemishes, dents etc, and check under van
Operate all the external locks (gas locker and under bed locker)
Run a finger around the awning channel to feel for excess sealant
Check the entry points of the awning channel and skirting channel for sharp edges that would damage your awning/beading
Check any holes the dealer has made in the floor, eg for a mover electrics or gas drop vent in the kitchen area have been sealed on the underside of the van
Check the rubber sealing strip around the wheel arches
Operate Thule 6200 cassette awning, and check instructions are with the van

Internal:-
Check the woodwork bed frame by lifting up each bed and seeing that it locks in the raised position easily and lowers easily without distorting the joints
Check the main door opens and closes easily and securely
Open and close every locker and cupboard testing the security.
Pay special attention to how the washroom door closes and locks
Operate the pop up roof on your own, and check fabric/vents
Operate all blinds and fly screens
Is the fabric the Brighton option?
Double check how free standing table is fixed to bench seat
Toilet cassette and flushing

Electrics:-
Try to get an understanding of the power supply system!
The touch lights work correctly?
Check sockets and dual fuel heater on electric
Test fridge on electric

Gas:-
Test fridge on gas
Cooker rings and ignition
Check gas bottles have been swapped over satisfactorily

Bits and pieces:-
Wheel nuts for spare wheel, locking wheel nut for alloys?
Chocks under van?
Caps for on board water containers?
Flue extension for gas fire?
Are all cushions present and correct?
Is a CO2 monitor fitted as standard?
Awning hooks for future fitting?
Does my Alko hitchlock and Bulldog wheel clamp fit new van
Get new hitch cover from AL
Log book and all manuals etc

On the road:-
Check running lights
Wheel nuts after 20 miles or so

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm

Super list.

I wonder if it would be worth e-mailing to the dealer so they can do the pdi correctly for you and save time twidling your
thumbs and drinking gallons of free coffee whilst you wait for them to rectify all the faults.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Terryc likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm
by hob (deleted)

Eriba manual (in English) all other manuals eg fridge heater electric heater water heater (if fitted) omnistore and any others that may be relevant.

Flue extensions usually come in pairs

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Flue extensions usually come in pairs

I raise this point with Lowdhams. They checked all vans and found each only had one.
My previous vans had all had two, so it looks like cutbacks.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:30 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

If ther's a problem, I'll just keep the two from the 555!
Can't remember if new vans come with the steadies brace?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:38 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Markeriba wrote in post #12
If ther's a problem, I'll just keep the two from the 555!
Can't remember if new vans come with the steadies brace?

I would imagine they must do or new buyers could not try the van out on the way home? as you say above if not keep the old one, I rarely use mine now as I have one that fits in a drill .......... also operates the mover (same size)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #9
Super list.

I wonder if it would be worth e-mailing to the dealer so they can do the pdi correctly for you and save time twidling your
thumbs and drinking gallons of free coffee whilst you wait for them to rectify all the faults.

Colin
It is a really good list. You shouldn't need to mail it to the dealer because it's precisely what the dealer's pre-delivery inspection should comprise, and it's already included in the price of the van. Paying for it and then doing it again because you've got no confidence in the dealership being able to do it properly in the first place reflects badly on them, and is a pretty lamentable state of affairs.

Having to do it because of entirely justifiable doubts about the build quality is equally poor, and reflects equally badly on a factory that appears not to give a toss about it.

If you were paying the thick end of twenty grand for a new car, you wouldn't even dream of going over it with a fine-tooth comb in the dealer's car park before driving away.

Why are we putting up with this?

Why would you feel that it would be of benefit

Is love really that blind?

RF18-668/2

Markeriba likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:15 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

Calm down Pete!!
I wasn't going to email my list to AL, because it's my list of things I want to check. I expect them to do a full PDI and include other things that I haven't even thought of.

I take your point on buying a car, but, I'm travelling 250 miles to pick up this caravan and I don't want to go back to Bournemouth in the near future. The furthest I've ever gone to buy a car is probably a few miles, and I don't mind a re-visit at that distance.

In my profession, I would expect all of my building projects to be handed back by the contractor in an suitable condition, fit for purpose, and free from defects. I would still however snag the works to ensure that I am completely satisfied before accepting practical completion.

I don't have any preconceived doubts about Hymer or the dealer, but at the end of the day, I'm spending a lot of money on this van and I want ensure that I'm satisfied with what I get.

Cheers Mark

PS I do like Bournemouth.

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1