12v LED bulbs

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 pm
by hob (deleted)

I remember reading on here somewhere that the power to the light fittings fluctuates a bit and may even be AC rather than DC, there are loads of 12v LED bulbs out there with all sorts of specifications but can anyone recommend some that will cope with the above supply and give off a reasonable amount of light?

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: 12v LED bulbs

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Hello Nev

My experience, for what it's worth, is that your safest bet is to get LEDs like these.

The voltage to the lighting circuit on our 2008 Troll is (a nominal) 12vAC. That's what the transformer winding produces; it's shown that way on the Eriba manual wiring diagram (for our van at least) and it has nothing to do with whether or not there is a battery fitted. It isn't exactly 12v - it's actually more than that, so bulbs which can accommodate a voltage range (like the ones linked to) and will work on both AC and DC would be your best bet.

Yes, you can get cheaper ones, but they may not like AC (I got some eBay cheapies which most definitely didn't, and they buzzed like buggery), and they may well be polarity-dependent which the dearer ones are not. Were you to opt for the flat circular type rather than what they call the 'pillar' type (above), and you got cheaper polarity-dependent ones, you may well find yourself having to either switch the wires round in the fitting or inelegantly twisting the contact pins to make them work.

It's not worth the faff for the sake of a few quid. Buy AC/DC, non polarity-dependent ones which can cope with a range of voltage and you'll be fine.

There is one other thing. Whatever type you get they will be a little bit bigger than the halogen capsules you are replacing, and you may well find that the ends of the nasty cross-headed bolts which secure the fitting to the bottom of the lockers foul the new bulbs.

I'm sure that shortening a few bolts is comfortably within your range of skills

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Pete.

Have you any advice re replacing the bulbs in the awning light? Ours is pretty feeble with the standard bulbs and when I accidentally increased their wattage last year I melted the plastic lens (since replaced.)

An alternative solution might be to rig up a pendant light fitting and lampshade on a length of cable that can be suspended over the table from an awning roof support and plugged into one of the sockets inside the caravan.

We saw a Danish couple dining out under their awning last year in France using the above system and it looked pretty damned good.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #3

Have you any advice re replacing the bulbs in the awning light? Ours is pretty feeble with the standard bulbs and when I accidentally increased their wattage last year I melted the plastic lens (since replaced.)
Accidentally? Really?

I'm afraid I've never even taken the cover off to see what kind of bulbs are in there. Plastic fittings like that are notoriously brittle unless the temperature is exactly 72.3° F, and knowing my luck I'd end up with a face full of shrapnel and no awning light at all.

Do you happen to remember what kind of bulb is in there from when you "accidentally increased their wattage"?

I like the pendant light fitting idea. Like it a lot. I'm thinking chandelier. Big chandelier, with sparkling cascades of tinkling cut glass and dozens of those pointy candle bulbs with the little wriggly filament...

Last edited Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:45 pm
by hob (deleted)

For the awning I use one of those car inspection lamps that i hang on a hook from the awning roof.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Nev!

Nev!

I'm sorry - I had button overload and deleted your last post by mistake!

I'm so sorry.

I'm so horrified I can't even remember what I had said in reply to it!

Oh yes. I remember.

I don't understand why they specified an LED transformer in the spiel. Normally a transformer - or driver - is required if the new LEDs depend on 12v DC dead, and, at least according to what they say, those don't.

I'd stake my microscopic and fast-dwindling reputation on them being just fine.

Identical ones from a place I now cannot recall the name of work faultlessly in our Troll.

Last edited Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #4
[quote="Aaron Calder"|p4729] Do you happen to remember what kind of bulb is in there from when you "accidentally increased their wattage"?

There are two small glass capsules each with two wire prongs wot push into little holes (G4 fitting?) From memory they are 5W max and I had picked up a couple of 10W bulbs by mistake. I ended up with two melted 'eyeballs in the cover which had yellowed with age and needed replacing anyway. I found one cheap on eBay.

I like the pendant light fitting idea. Like it a lot. I'm thinking chandelier. Big chandelier, with sparkling cascades of tinkling cut glass and dozens of those pointy candle bulbs with the little wriggly filament...
You have absolutely no taste. You'll be erecting a bloody flagpole and running flashing coloured LEDs around your van next.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 pm
by hob (deleted)

Don't panic old bean..................

What I said was this one seems to do the job without a transformer so may be the one to get

this one

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Quote: hob wrote in post #8
Don't panic old bean..................

What I said was this one seems to do the job without a transformer so may be the one to get

this one
I'd get the first ones if I were you.

They don't need to be waterproof unless you're thinking of a jacuzzi conversion.

Last edited Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I too thought the light from our first Troll's awning light was a shade shadey. Then I realised there was only one 'blob' of light in there when there should be two from two bulbs. Over the months I made several attempts at removing the cover, urged on by some idiot on TEF who'd posted that it was easy and the thing sprang off with very little pressure or encouragement. Well he was wrong and the darn thing puts your van's bodywork at risk if you try using any sort of 'encourager'. Eventually following a mighty and fingers crossed effort the cover twanged off but managed to snap a couple of brittle bits of plastic off at the same time.

So, of course, a new complete lamp has to be purchased as they don't sell the cover on its own. It comes with around a foot of wire attached , complete with bullet connectors. However I was informed by Jandi that the only way to get at the bullet connectors was to strip out the kitchen lockers! I felt this was rather drastic so hit upon disconnecting the old wire at the light fitting, stripping out the new wire and reconnecting the old wire to the new fitting. That worked a treat and the new and flexible fitting went on with no issues at all.

On the subject of awning lighting the wobbly box brigade seem to have a penchant for table lamps rather than pendants.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I've seen awnings with full size standard lamps, I don't know where they find the room for all the paraphernalia that appears in an awning

I like to pop my top when I go on holiday

Last edited Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:20 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

[quote="Steamdrivenandy"|p4742 So, of course, a new complete lamp has to be purchased as they don't sell the cover on its own. [/quote]

Oh yes they do, matey! Werbung: Awning light lens

Have a look at his other stuff too!

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Forum Administrator

Last edited Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I recall an enormous awning on a van at Old Oaks in the summer of 2012. It had a big brass chandelier, settees, coffee and side tables with brass table lamps. I thought they must've moved in for the duration and must've had a truck to carry the stuff.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:21 am

It's quite common in France to see families sitting around in awnings surrounded (literally) by the contents of their domestic kitchens. Large groups converge and spend whole days sitting around a table talking and eating. These are ordinary families, not 'travellers'.

As they seldom seem to leave the camp site during their protracted stays, I've often wondered why they don't just stay at home.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:42 am

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #14
It's quite common in France to see families sitting around in awnings surrounded (literally) by the contents of their domestic kitchens. Large groups converge and spend whole days sitting around a table talking and eating. These are ordinary families, not 'travellers'.

As they seldom seem to leave the camp site during their protracted stays, I've often wondered why they don't just stay at home.
I've overheard French families discussing the quirks of the English, and why it is that they spend almost their whole holiday watching what the French are doing rather than going out and doing something else.

In fact, the French often wonder why the English don't just stay at home.

Chacun à son goût, innit?

mr_underhill, and like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4