Usb socket swap

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:25 am
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

Hi, has anyone fitted a 13amp + usb socket to their van?
I am thinking of swapping the single 13amp socket on the front shelf of my 542 for a double socket, one being a usb socket. You can buy a CBE usb + 240v socket and it looks as though there is enought space but I know the supply is fed from below.

Troll 542 (with Forever Young history)
Colin Morgan

Last edited Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 am | Scroll up

RE: Usb socket swap

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:36 am
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Colin,
I have not seen the combined unit yet, but you should have enough space underneath. You may have to buy the bigger "back box/tube surround". Cable length is very tight. I needed to un-clip the cable run to this area to get enough slack to work on, then re-fitted it upon completion.
If you want to fit a look alike CBE socket next to the existing, but usb in function then you could have a problem in drilling the hole for the socket body. You will need a shallow hole saw and angle drill – you WILL NOT be able to do the job without these as you do not have sufficient space to drill down using a standard drill and hole saw.
I came across this problem when I fitted another socket at the front on the opposite side of the van.

21 - extra front window ledge socket-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:39 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: ColinMorgan wrote in post #1
Hi, has anyone fitted a 13amp + usb socket to their van?
I am thinking of swapping the single 13amp socket on the front shelf of my 542 for a double socket, one being a usb socket. You can buy a CBE usb + 240v socket and it looks as though there is enought space but I know the supply is fed from below.
Swapping the single 13A socket for a double might give you more options; a USB can only be used for USB whereas you can always plug one of these into the 3-pin when you need to charge something.

Using a USB charger like that will also give you the option of charging more things at once.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:58 am

The other thing I was going to say was that I've thought about installing USB points in our van too, but each time I did I came to the conclusion that it simply wasn't worth all the palaver when a charger like the one I linked to above did everything I wanted.

Yes, it's another thing to carry, and yes, it sticks out of the socket a couple of extra inches, but it's a lot cheaper than a flush-mount USB socket and is much more versatile.

And for what it's worth, it charges an iphone in next to no time. Highly recommended.

The other thing that might be worth mentioning - and I apologise if you know this already - is to always make sure that the charger's output amperage is greater than the charging requirement of the device you want to charge.

The device that needs charging will only draw the current it needs. Charging a device that needs 1.5A from a charger that provides 2.0A won't hurt either of them.

Charge a 1.5A device from a charger that only outputs 1.25A (for example) and two things will happen; it'll take yonks to charge and the charger will have to work so hard to do it that it'll get unnecessarily hot.

Last edited Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:05 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

That reminds me, I bought one of these from IKEA recently for £7.90.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/smart...r-art-20291890/

koppla-3-port-usb-charger.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:10 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

What is a CBE socket?

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:14 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

We bought this Power Block from Lidl last Autumn. We're using it in the house at the moment as we haven't ventured out in the Eriba since.

USB Power Block

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:19 pm
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

image.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I think I'm being too clever and why would I want to start cutting into the van. I already use a USB adapter anyway.

A CBE socket is the style of socket fitted in the Eriba, black with silver surround.

Colin Morgan

Randa france and granddadgrape like this post!
Last edited Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

Thanks Colin Silly question I know, but I am fairly new to caravanning.

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:29 pm
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

Alan, no problem, I'm learning all the time from other 'folk'.

Colin

Colin Morgan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The USB part of the socket needs a separate 12V supply as far as I am aware.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:12 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I've seen lots of combined mains/USB sockets at B&Q and they only have a mains feed, so surely a combined socket for an Eriba wouldn't need a 12V feed as well?

'Well the rain came, I thought you'd leave
'Cos I knew how much you loved the sun.
But you chose to stay, stay and keep me warm
Through the darkest nights I've ever known'.

Last edited Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The twin socket illustrated by Colin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CBE-Socket-Athr...%26+240v+Socket

requires a 12V supply

better illustrated by

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CBE-Socket-Silv...%26+240v+Socket

Last edited Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #12
I've seen lots of combined mains/USB sockets at B&Q and they only have a mains feed, so surely a combined socket for an Eriba wouldn't need a 12V feed as well?
There's no reason you couldn't fit a domestic-type USB socket that ran off 230V in a caravan if you felt so inclined (and were comfortable working with mains wiring), but clearly it wouldn't match the CBE-type fitted by the factory.

If you fitted a unit like the one on Amazon you've got the added complication of wiring 12V as well as 230V.

I might well be missing a trick here, but other than the relatively modest benefit of being able to plug a charging lead directly into a USB socket rather than a separate plug-in charger, I can't really see the advantage of installing one. It needs loads more work - cutting the aperture as well as routing and connecting two sets of wiring - and it costs quite a bit more too. If forgetting to take it is an issue, spend a tenner on a spare and leave it in a locker.

If we were off-grid and needed to be able to charge a device from the battery, I think I might look at something similar to this instead. Simple wiring, a beefy output and a much smaller hole. And finding somewhere discreet to put a smaller hole is much easier too.

Last edited Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I wonder why both the units with double USB ports have attached covers when standard 240V units don't have a cover.

'Well the rain came, I thought you'd leave
'Cos I knew how much you loved the sun.
But you chose to stay, stay and keep me warm
Through the darkest nights I've ever known'.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2