AL Caravan Cover and fitting it.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 pm
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

I have recently received a caravan cover for my Troll from AL and there are 2 bits I'm not quite sure about. The cover is obvious but there are 2 small pieces made up of a small length of awning beading stitched to 3 layers of cover material, see pic. I'm not sure what they do and where they are meant to go. The instructions are very basic so can anyone help me?

image.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The pic shows each side of the pieces.

Troll 542 (with Forever Young history)
Colin Morgan
Scroll up

RE: AL Caravan Cover and fitting it.

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:21 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

The bits with the white plastic slot into the awning rail at the corners to prevent the cover rubbing through. I also had a green piece which is there to make patches if you get a hole in the cover.

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Don't forget to unscrew the top of gas flue/exhaust. Sit a tennis ball in the hole [it will not drop down the pipe] and this will protect this area of the cover from rubbing and getting a hole.
If you have fitted a plastic eriba gutter strip I cover this with some lengths of foam pipe insulation that is usually on your copper water pipes at home. I got some for 10mm pipe in France last year and it fits a treat.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

Hi, I thank you for for advice, I too have a small sheet of cover material, wasn't sure what that was either. An instruction sheet wouldn't hurt?
Am I right in thinking the awning beaded bits are to protect the rear corners?
For those thinking of getting a AL cover, they discounted for the NEC show to £164 for a Troll.

Thank you all.

Colin Morgan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:05 am
by highmiler | 367 Posts

I bought my Troll cover from AL in 2014, last year I added some internal patches to the extremities where it had rubbed and looked a little worn, in spite of using the tennis ball and protecting the corners / awning rail ends with rubber protection, the wind gets underneath and it wears, you just need to keep an eye, I think for the price they are good value.It's five years old now and still doing what it says on the tin!

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:23 am
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

Did I say no instructions, I lied but I had to chuckle at the first one. It says "ensure that you have the correct size cover for your caravan. Once the cover has been tried on the caravan it will not be possible to exchange it for an alternative size". But there is nothing attached to the cover about which van it fits. It has what the material is and of course a "made in china " lable. Of course I have the receipt but I just had to laugh!
Looks big enough, here's hoping.

Colin Morgan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:54 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

"made in china" Taking over the world and USA!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:05 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

Quote: ColinMorgan wrote in post #4

....................................................Am I right in thinking the awning beaded bits are to protect the rear corners?.................

AL told me they go on the front - you should have three patches - one for each corner and one in the middle twixt the front windows - the pointy bit!

Robin

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Last edited Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

You're quite right I do have three, so that makes sense. I also have a tiny what can only be described as a v small bag with 2 pockets at the end. It's strange as you can just get your wrist in and your thumb in one small pocket and your fingers in the other pocket. It's like a very cheap Kermit puppet with no eyes. I can only assume it's for the straps?

Maybe it's some sort of Chinese freeby?

Colin Morgan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Quote: ColinMorgan wrote in post #9
You're quite right I do have three, so that makes sense. I also have a tiny what can only be described as a v small bag with 2 pockets at the end. It's strange as you can just get your wrist in and your thumb in one small pocket and your fingers in the other pocket. It's like a very cheap Kermit puppet with no eyes. I can only assume it's for the straps?

Maybe it's some sort of Chinese freeby?

The comment about 'cheap Kermit puppet with no eyes' I believe is a cover that goes over the chimney - I'm not sure but will edit if wrong.

I am correct it is a chimney cover. Edited 18.06hrs

Regarding 'How do you know you got the right cover' its all in the Code on the box - 8900xx where xx = 09 Troll, 11 Triton, 13 Familia.

Robin

Last edited Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Message deleted as it was a duplicate.

Last edited Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:23 pm
by ColinMorgan (deleted)

Checked the box 890009, so I have the right one. How do you know this stuff.
Wot, no kermit puppet? Thank you for the clarification.

Colin

Colin Morgan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:29 am
by Bob (deleted)

I also got the 890009 cover when I bought my used Troll and found this thread most helpful.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has a few years experience of using these covers.

This will be my first winter with the caravan and it's now covered-up, but after recent heavy rain I've noticed quite a lot of moisture between the van and the inside of the cover. I'm wondering if that is "normal" and whether the cover actually increases the humidity inside the van with potentially damaging consequences.

Has anyone seen increased dampness inside their van as a result of using a cover? Are there any suggestions for what I should do to avoid any humidity-related damage?

We've already sprayed the internal cabinet hinges with "WD40 High Performance Silicone Lubricant" (to inhibit further corrosion) and taken all cushions indoors.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:26 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Bob

I've used my cover for 4 winters. I clean and polish our 540 before I put the cover on and it comes off with the bodywork still gleaming usually sometime in March.

I haven't had any damp in the van at all from what I can see. I use a tennis ball in my chimney went like Colin.

The only problem I have had is that one year I didn't drain my taps well-enough and frost damaged both taps - an expensive replacement. Now I am very careful about emptying the taps and also insulate the tap system with a mixture of woollen hiking socks, bubble wrap and old towels. This does the job.

I also fitted Floortex carpet to the wooden floor to insulate it - it is really cosy on winter nights.

.We will probably not cover ourTroll until the end of November, as we have at least one more trip in us this season

MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:46 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Thanks Mike.
I've already done most of what you say (washed it, added a tennis ball). Regarding the taps; I have emptied all tanks and run the taps / toilet flush dry for 20-30 seconds. Apart from adding the insulation, do you know a better way?

We also have a carpet off-cut in ours (which incidentally is also a 540) and agree it makes a pleasant difference.

I should also have asked if you have found it necessary to either a) jack-up the van so the wheels are off the ground or b) move the van to rotate them periodically?

Last edited Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:47 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2