RE: Rusty internal door hinges

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

Well done JohnE, a font of knowledge for our vans.

Troll 540 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

From memory of my '01 and '05 vans the hinges were a relatively unique design, not normal type butt hinges.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: John Cross wrote in post #16
Well done JohnE, a font of knowledge for our vans.
Nowt to do with knowledge, Fred - a quick google and, hey-presto!

Last edited Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #14
There's a good selection of S/S butt hinges here

Any good?
They need to be flush hinges John, on account of the clearance between locker frame and door. I looked at standard butt hinges but they won't fit without planing down the door (which ain't a good idea with MDF)...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: rs540 wrote in post #19
They need to be flush hinges
Aah, right - I assumed butt hinges would be suitable.

Last edited Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 pm

You know where to look though John and know your way around these vans, respect from me mate.
Are those hinges OK for our Troll, I wouldn't mind changing a few of ours

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
John Cross likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 12, 2021 9:21 pm

Issac Lords are in our nearest town, My grandad and brother both worked there in the 70's. Unfortunately, they have moved out of their long term shop and moved into a store/warehouse setup. Still a very good shop though

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:31 am
by 2hoots (deleted)

I have a 2019 540 and the same problem with corroded hinges. They seem to be thinly plated zinc coated metal and the thin outer chrome layer has mostly gone revealing a whitish zinc oxide surface that is quite visually unacceptable.

I have covered the van during the last 2 winters and this year 2021 I have decided not to cover it so I can air it more regularly, e.g monthly. I have used 2 crystal type dehumidifiers each year but still have a problem with an internal damp atmosphere. It may be that by covering the van I have effectively created such an atmosphere.

I think I will replace the hinges if I can source a suitable replacement without too must cost. An alternative could be to treat the hinges with Kurust and then spray them silver with car paint? A time consuming process that might work.

These chome items are visually very important as they stand out so much on the cabinets. I think this is a common problem with van manufacturers using cheap parts where really they should be using chrome plated brass hinges which would not behave like this. i.e in an effect to maximise profit Hymer has spoiled the ship as the saying goes.......

I have reported this to First Leisure as a warranty claim.

Last edited Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:29 pm

Whatever you do the air inside a van that's left empty over winter will always have the same humidity as the air outside.All you can do is keep vents clear and crack open windows to keep the air moving and changing as much as possible. Any moisture removed by humidifiers is immediately replaced by more moist air from outside, so there really is no point in using them. Careful positioning in an exposed and sunlit position will help a bit, but in wet cold mid winter there's no escape. Things were the same on 2001 and 2005 Van's and haven't improved in 20 years.
I wonder if there's a profitable business in swapping out all the annoying cheapjack bits and pieces in vans so customers actually get what they think they want.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:49 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I used a small condensing dehumidifier over the winter for the van stored stored in my unheated garage and controlled the start/stop of the dehumidifier with a humidity switch I bought off eBay. I monitored the temp/humidity with a cheap meter I bought from Lidl.

The condensate was drained via the toilet cubicle drain into a waste water container.

At one point I had a separate thermostat switching on a fan heater to prevent freezing also but found it wasnt needed since house temperature was enough to keep the garage from getting that low so I discontinued its use.

The arrangement effectively kept the humidity below the "mould" alarm threshold (as can be seen photo taken from the sensor on todays very rainy day) so thankfully no probs with corrosion.

PS Ability to store the van in my garage was one of the major reasons I bought it:)

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_0402.JPG 

Last edited Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:39 pm

Of course humidifiers will pull moisture from the air, that's what they're designed to do. However the moisture is immediately replaced through moist air from outside as nature imposes it's automatic balance. If you're lucky enough to have a garage where the Eriba fits, especially if it's integral and therefore protected from the coldest temperatures then you won't suffer issues in the same way.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:12 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I do not believe the problem is due to humidity levels in winter storage and how vans are or not vented etc. Humidity levels are at there lowest over the winter as cool air holds less moisture. The problem of hinges going grubby will be greatest in the warmer summer months when temperatures and as such humidity levels higher. The hinges are just crappy and poor in quality. The plating on them is not really fit for purpose.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

, John Cross, , rs540 and Frantone like this post!
Last edited Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:03 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I’m fed up with the poor quality of the hinges on the lockers and the bathroom door in my 2015 Troll. I’ve replaced some locker hinges with piano hinges and they’ve been a success so I’ve decided to replace the door hinges on the bathroom door with a full length piano hinge. That should do it! If anyone is interested I’ll post some pics like I did with the lockers.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:11 am
by 2hoots (deleted)

It's interesting what you say about the 2001 and 2005 vans and I think you have a point about the moist air and the importance of refreshing the air in the van being better than using crystals. I think I will try to do something about the hinges and will post any positive results.
Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2