RE: QUALITY ISSUE - Caravan & Motorhome Club - Eriba Troll review - June 2018

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:30 pm
by RobbieGill (deleted)

We bought a brand new Troll 530 and have had problems with water ingress. Faulty window seals are the cause and we're still waiting for parts many months on. Faulty touch lights. Lots of the above mentioned loose screws. Love Eribas and bought for the quality of build, but, sadly disappointed with mine.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:43 pm
by davembk (deleted)

Erica issues, yes a poll is needed!

I’ve written here about problems on my brand new 2020 Triton 60 edition:
Locker doors falling, stiff steady winders, pinched electrical cable on underside, led lamp housings falling down. All on inspection due to questionable workmanship and quality assurance.

I also mentioned how my lovely dealer suggested packing the locker door hinges! It’s as if, after sales is an afterthought or even a joke! I think Hymer are taking the p155 too.
Being new to eriba’s I’d assumed that the high prices were justified by supreme quality as well as iconic status. Iconic yes maybe but quality, hmm, No.

The list goes on: gooey awning rail sealant. I know I know, it’s supposed to be there and not touched etc. But why? There are better ways surely.

Washroom door, alignment bracket at top: sometimes ok but if the sun comes out, or if it rains, then, not ok.

The quirky, annoying, and arguably of dubious quality: 2020 Eriba Triton 60 edition, costing a mere circa £26k all in.

Was I had?

Seems I’m not the only one.

Newbie22 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Dave,
sorry the hear you are also suffering as others [myself included] have. I'd be tempted to stir things up. List your issues and then send them to the dealer, Hymer in Germany the CC and the C&MC. Ask all parties for there comments, and would the clubs like to do an article on failing quality issues. Obviously include a link to this forum and thread.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Not sure if it has been mentioned (too depressing to read through the full thread), but the locker doors are mdf not plywood. Not sure if the other panels are the same. The use of mdf is consistent with the curved profile of the doors which wouldn't be easy to produce in plywood. Lightweight plywood is very expensive so it appears to be a cost cutting measure. Whilst they look very nice (depending on your point of view), it is not surprising that they struggle to hold screws. On my lockers I drilled out enlarged holes, glued in hardwood dowels, then refitted. This was pre-emptive but we don't use our van much. (especially this year).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I’m with Colin on this one. Replaced a few faulty touch lights and reading lights. My 2015 Troll has had numerous faults all due to quality. So let’s do all what Colin suggests.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:26 pm
by Bigmig0 (deleted)

I couldn't help but agree with the majority here and list some of the faults on my then brand new 2017 530GT:
Water ingress through faulty window seals both before and after the so called recall.
Poorly fitting entrance door which through the top corner you could see daylight leading to water ingress when raining.
Off-side rear outer locker door suffering from water ingress (you can tell by the cream interior surface developing a pimpled surface).
Touch lights not working / coming on randomly.
Locker doors falling off.
Bathroom door working loose.
Bracket supporting front bed falling off damaging bulkhead.
Rear beds sagging due to aluminium poles not been fit for purpose.
Fly screens not working.
No non return valve on water system.
Lots of unsightly sealant
Exterior awning light flickering on and off with faulty switch

I could go on and on and on.

Fortunately the dealer bought it back off me.
I was astounded by the poor quality and glad to see the back of it. A massive disappointment.

Enough said i think.

Troll 530 GT - VW Transporter Kombi 4motion with Exploria-on-Line conversion. still have the CombiCamp Valley.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

No wonder you got shut Tom - that's a terrible long list.

We have had some of these and they have been dealt with in the warranty.

Ours is a 2016 540 and the one I still can't get my head around is the no non-return valve on the water system, which was missing from ours as well. I spent ages trying to sort the system out but with no luck. At the first service ALV spotted it straight away an fitted one under warranty.

But the question has to be how did yours and mine get out of the factory with it not being checked?

Such a shame that your experience was so bad.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:44 pm
by Bigmig0 (deleted)

God only knows Mike, I tried and tried but was also let down by the dealer until they did the right thing and agree to buy it back. I was impressed with AL though, they fitted a thule awning and bike rack for me. I don't know how you coped without the valve until its first service though.
Take care
Tom

Troll 530 GT - VW Transporter Kombi 4motion with Exploria-on-Line conversion. still have the CombiCamp Valley.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Tom

Simple answer was that we didn't have any hot water other than what we boiled in the kettle..

Although that isn't strictly true as we could heat up a tank of water but then when we came back to it the water was always cold again..........

We were impressed with AL but hey are too far away from us to use for a service.

Cheers
MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:36 am
by Jeepy (deleted)

Hi to you all.
I am very new to the forum and finding your posts very interesting.
We are going to view a new touring troll 542 the beginning of April. This will be our first caravan! I have always loved the look of the Eriba but not keen on the bed layout until I saw the 542 which looks perfect for us. The other reason for looking at the Eriba is the quality build label. So reading about the newer vans I am getting a tad concerned but having said that it give us a chance to check the van out with these issues in mind. My husband is a Carpenter by trade and can resolve many things, but as someone else mentioned you would not put up with quality issues with a new car so why would you with a caravan.
I also was interested in a Basecamp but felt that storage or the lack of could be an issue on long stay holidays (we will both be retired this summer).
My husband is not a huge fan of camping/caravanning but willing to make a go of it. He likes his comforts so this has got to be right for us.
Fingers crossed. I will enjoy trawling through the threads. Take care

Tin Head likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:59 am
by Tin Head | 49 Posts

We had our Troll 542 new in April 2018 , firstly the bed is fantastic and the van is a great choice.
Build quality to us as first time Eriba owners compared to the Bailey Motorhome we had before is very good indeed, the past three years have been fine and the best thing ever we have done.Yes we have had a loose bathroom door fixings but they all seem to do that and we get round that anyway, the only other thing was the rear window rubber seal was replaced and it has been fine.
I would recommend a motor mover as it makes life simpler on site and we had a 240v socket put in near rear hatch door area which is great for the toaster and kettle outside
Kind Regards
Martin

Martin & Jackie, Mercedes E280 Saloon with our 542GT 60th Edition ( Bluebell )
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Jeepy,
I'm sure you will love the Eriba when you see it. I'm equally sure you will have teething problems, but these tend to be over after 18 months or so, whilst those owners of White Wobbly Boxes have them for far longer. Once through this spell you should have many happy years of ownership.
As regards the Basecamp. I viewed one with my 81 year old uncle who has returned to caravanning. If he had gone the new van route he would have bought one. It was a pleasant surprise and if you want a bathroom to shower in the caravan and do not need a permanent dining area or bed it should be up for consideration. Build looked good and price is about £10K cheaper than an Eriba. The only negative I could find was some very early examples had a leak issue around the opening sun roof. You would also need to avoid the basic model as it lacks goodies such as stabiliser hitch.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 69 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6